Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TREX or G5X3

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dyno numbres for one back my **** up, 30 RWHP in hotter weather isn't good enough? I will get track number no sweat, they won't be good ET times, but MPH will be better, I don't want to go ***** out on ET streets in 110 degree weather, just plain stupid, not worth it, won't net me my best ET. I went 113.5mph with my old cam, and I KNOW I am a lot quicker now with my X3. I can do low RPM, not sure what, but I can do 1200 I am sure, it's not that bad dude, if I couldn't do 1200 rpm I would have to take off from a light pretty high, but as it sits I can just ease off the clutch, no surging, bucking, stalling, etc, it's tuned very well and runs great!

As for my last cam, I can tell you I didn't like it, that's me, it didn't pull that hard, I could BARElY break the tires loose at the very top of the power bank in FIRST GEAR, and I have 4.11's, with the X3, as soon I as I hammer it, it's ******* blowing them away. So the X3 is a much better cam in my opinion over my last setup, makes more power and pulls a lot harder than the 224 did, so that's that.

I will get some track times as soon as I can I promise. I don't claim the X3 is the all mighty God cam out there, it's a great cam and I can't be more pleased with the switch.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Not being an ***, but proof to back it up??? Lets see some track time improvements from you and SSONMYSIX without any excuses because you live in AZ. You didnt enjoy driving your car with the 224/228 cam???WTF? Believe you me, my 228/228 cam'd car is plenty of fun to drive LOL. And I've driven cars with much bigger cams that have had tuning. There is no way in hell that the X3 runs all the way down to 1200rpm like stock. Absolutely not possible, considering the specs between that and stock. I'm not denying that the X3 hauls ***...its a huge cam...it should...but a great street cam, it is not. Sorry, but a cam that makes peak power near 7000rpm is not a "street cam" TR doesnt market the TREX as a street cam. They specifically say its a track duty cam. I think too many people are quick to jump on the "huge cam" bandwagon and just like the bragging rights. Again, I'm not picking on anyone, not an LG Hater, or trying to start anything...just adding something to this post.
What does the T-Rex do that you say the stock cam doesn't do? I am curious as mine is almost identical to the stock cam with the stock tune. I haven't even played with the VE tables or timing or idle adjustments. I only drive it everyday about 35 miles down an interstate that usually stops several times as people either have accidents or merging just stop traffic so you literally may move 1 mile in 10 minutes. I belive most of the drivability problems are associated with A4 cars with stock 2.73 gears and stock stall. I have stock 3.42 gears in my M6 with everything else stock and honestly the only difference is starting out from a dead stop. Once you give it a little more gas it goes just like the stock cam with no hesitation or bucking. I am in traffic about 2 hours at least a day and I put it over in 6th gear as much as possible with the A/C on @ 55-65 around 1500 RPM's and it drives just fine. Once I start the tuning process when my wideband setup from TechEdge comes in there is no doubt that I can get rid of the condition at a stop where I need to trim up the fuel delivery as my VE has changed signficantly in the lower RPM/MAP areas.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by monodax
What does the T-Rex do that you say the stock cam doesn't do? I am curious as mine is almost identical to the stock cam with the stock tune. I haven't even played with the VE tables or timing or idle adjustments.
So you're telling me that the T-Rex has no driveability issues with the stock tune,LOL. You guys are amazing. If you honestly believe that, then we just disagree what "stock" is like. You're telling me that your car doesnt buck or surge when you're on and off the gas at low rpm in lower gears? It never hunts for idle, or stalls with the A/C on at startup?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
So you're telling me that the T-Rex has no driveability issues with the stock tune,LOL. You guys are amazing. If you honestly believe that, then we just disagree what "stock" is like. You're telling me that your car doesnt buck or surge when you're on and off the gas at low rpm in lower gears? It never hunts for idle, or stalls with the A/C on at startup?
I think you and I have the same definition it is just hard to believe as the numbers on this cam are large. When SS Rally Red, BLKWS6, and his other crew members installed the cam/springs etc... We all where saying exactly what you posted. We said it is going to be a bitch to get home and drive on the street until I get it tuned. It has proven to be not the case. Yes you do have to give it more gas starting out but this is to overcome the VE table’s inaccuracies now and my 3.42 gear. Once you are going it is like it is stock. It feels a little weaker less than 2500 RPM but nothing bad, it just doesn't feel as much torque is there. It does not surge unless you are very low in the RPM band and that is only in 1st or 2nd. It has never stalled even when we first started the car it fired up instantly and found the idle within a few seconds and it has been going since. We all where amazed at the quickness it found the idle and the smoothness of it.
On the other hand my 1994 A4 Z-28 was to me the biggest PITA to drive and tune I have seen yet and I have helped a lot of people tune their LT1's. (I wanted a BIG cam for it) I had every conceivable problem you could have with a big cam. It would spit and sputter when you touched the gas at low RPM's, always had hesitation when you press the accelerator, constantly trying to find the idle while I was slamming the brakes through the floorboard trying to get it to stay stopped.
That what I mean about the difference in the drivability of the A4 vs M6 with these big cam profiles. I would assume if I did not have the ability to push the clutch in at lower RPM's I would have the problems you are describing as I almost swapped my 94 A4 with a M6 as I was getting real tired of all of the problems.

So to sum it up, would I recommend it to anyone without tuning? No
Can you drive it with a 6 speed without tuning? Yes but with obvious performance loss and low end fueling issues.
Would I recommend for an A4? Only if you had a 4400 stall or 4000 with extremely good tuning on a dyno and the street to clear up any driveability problems you may encounter.
Do you need a larger rear end gear? Yes,to make the low end more easier to start off and to make it feel like the stock cam or greater.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

BTW Orange Peel,

That is a nice car you have there, I think the color sets it off
Old 06-25-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

James I think you nailed it, from the way your car acted on start up and after 30 mins. of on & off ideling to check coolant level, etc. I think this cam is feasible as a DD to an "enthusist" and will be extremly livable with tuning.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I think this cam is feasible as a DD to an "enthusist" and will be extremly livable with tuning.
I'm glad somone finally decided to point out that we all have our own definition of "daily driveable". I'm sure that there are plenty of daily driven cars on this board that I would never consider streetable. The whole streetability issue is way to subjective for anyone to generalize and declair a cam is streetable or not. Hell, I know for a fact there's more than a few members here that would delight in zooming to work every day in a PS car.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Both of these cams are really good, but i might just go with the trex becuase they have a sale until the end of the month.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Just ordered my G5X3
Old 06-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99WS6LS1T/A
Everything looks good besides the fact you are going to kill your power with the LS1 intake. It may not seem like a big deal, but the cam "has" to breath. Also you need a underdrive pulley, alot of minor boltons make this cam scream...
I still have an LS1 intake and I cannot wait until i get my LS6. The car has a lot more potential that i cannot get out of it until i do the swap.

Never been in a car with the T-Rex in it but i can vouch that the X3 is a good streetable cam