Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 cam in a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Man, when I brought up sticking the exact same 4" crank in a 4.8/5.3 block, to make it 359ci of displacement, everyone came out of the woodwork to tell me why stroking a motor is pointless without airflow. People were quoting engine builders, I think someone even posted a link to an article, saying how increasing stroke is the absolute worst value (hp/dollar) for increasing power.

And the heads I brought up to use on the undersquare 359 outflow stock 243's, even on the small bore.

But suddenly there's support for stroking an ls1 using stock 243 heads... umm? Whatever.
I was all for you doing that combo. Of course, I'm all about quirky combos and fully intend on doing the opposite with a 4.8 crank in a 6.0 block at some point. I just don't know what I will put it in yet.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Doesn't it suck that one would have to choose between a stroker or heads. If I had to choose between the two due to budgetary constraints, I would pick the stroker. Simply because it is easier to add heads to a stroker later than to add a stroker to heads. Also, a stroker with a bigger cam will definitely squeeze more power out of your existing heads while you save up for the good stuff.
Yes, I would go the stroker route, as well. So long as the budget can afford it.

Originally Posted by ahritchie
^For once I agree with you ...it's ridiculous to suggest (by a mod no less) in a thread by someone who states is on a "very tight budget build" should be seriously considering a stroker kit on stock heads when theres much more gains to be had per dollar on a heads (and cam obviously). Yes, adding cubes alone adds some trap speed...but ported heads allowing superior airflow add a LOT more trap speed and are cheaper/easier/faster to install.
And a stroker with those heads will add a **** ton more trap speed. I would pick the better foundation. It is much easier to add heads at a later time than it is to add stroke at a later time.

Originally Posted by ahritchie
How come nobody has tried this 383 stock 243 headed combo and there's no real world results if it's such a good idea? Could it be possible that ported heads are less expensive and more effective at making HP than spending thousands a forged stroker bottom end? Also I'm referring to LS1 gen IIIs....not sure how LS2's got dragged into this.

I agree the 383 will have more TQ and feel faster...but the better breathing 346 will eventually outflow (outrun) it!
How about a 404 with a stock LS3 topend? I did that, and going from a LS2 with a stock LS3 topend, I can assure you that you can definitely feel the added 60 ft/lbs of torque, and there is no way in hell the old setup would catch the current one.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
So, to summarize what's going on, and clear up any confusion that may have been caused by the stroker debate...

You are staying stock displacement with a rebuilt shortblock, having advanced induction port your 243's, and installing the ls7 cam, with a fast 92, and 1.75" headers, correct?
Originally Posted by dans2000camaross
thats the plan....
As much as I love AI, you'd have a much faster car if you skipped the porting, did milled heads only, and invested the saved $ into a real camshaft.

It will be a good running car, either way though. I guess the plus of the LS7 is smooth drivability.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it is my daily driver in the summer...
Old 10-16-2015, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 248 Likes on 167 Posts

There are better options for camshafts for the LS1 that will run smoothly and deliver usable power. Cam Motion has some "shelf" grinds on their web site, for example.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:12 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
As much as I love AI, you'd have a much faster car if you skipped the porting, did milled heads only, and invested the saved $ into a real camshaft. It will be a good running car, either way though. I guess the plus of the LS7 is smooth drivability.
I agree with this. The heads are a good foundation for a build, but in a heads and cam package I would wager in general, you pick up more from the cam than the heads
Old 12-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys i have a question, im at the point were i am ordering parts. i got pac 1218 valvesprings to support the cam, my question what size pushrods should i run, i heard stock is 7.400, others said 7.375. which is it?
Old 12-26-2015, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invest in a pushrod length tool. Let that answer your question. Don't guess.

Quick Reply: LS7 cam in a LS1