Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High RPM LS1.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High RPM LS1.

So, I got a question about how hard we can twist a fairly well built LS1. It's got JE pistons, Eagle rods, and AFR heads with a stock crank. Block is studded top and bottom. Cam is a LG G5X3. I'm running twin GT-35's in a jet boat on E85. Last night it bolted to 7,200 rpm, banged the crap out of the rev limiter and blew a head gasket. Got a couple of option.

1 - Raise my rev limiter and let er rip.
2 - Put a short stroke 4.8 crank in, raise the rev limiter and let er rip.
3 - Get a bigger impeller to slow the motor down, leave the rev limiter where it's at, and let er rip.

E85 is cool, the exhaust smells like moonshine.

Last edited by Blazeracer; 10-15-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

How far are you wanting to push it? This is a hydraulic setup correct? They obviously have rpm limits.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

I am not a boat guy, but I hang around with some and I think they would tell you to change your impellor. Depending on the cylinder heads you have, I think you would want to keep the RPMs down in the 6000s just for engine efficiency. As for the safe RPM, it is the connecting rods and oiling system that will determing that. So, the question becomes who well does your oiling system hold on to oil pressure over 6500 and how much do your trust those Eagle connecting rods.

On the valve train, some might disagree, but in my opinion anything that will spend regular duty above 7000 RPM is solid roller territory. The hydraulic will work up there, but it is no longer optimal and has the potential for problems.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Yup, swap the impeller. That motor will do well with the extra load (builds boost faster).

As far as safely raising the rev limit, all kinds of fun stuff. Once you look into all the little bits and pieces, the LS1 is not the best block to use.

Dry sump motor with complete dry sump system, solid roller or link bars, and distributor. Depending how high you really want to rev it, might be worthwhile to have main girdles to keep the block and crank from wobbling to death.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Yup, swap the impeller. That motor will do well with the extra load (builds boost faster).

As far as safely raising the rev limit, all kinds of fun stuff. Once you look into all the little bits and pieces, the LS1 is not the best block to use.

Dry sump motor with complete dry sump system, solid roller or link bars, and distributor. Depending how high you really want to rev it, might be worthwhile to have main girdles to keep the block and crank from wobbling to death.
Is this a lake boat or a ocean boat ? If Ocean, the pounding of a hard landing off wake could cause a spun bearing.
I agree with the others about a bigger prop. A Accusump would be nice insurance.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, this used to be a nitrous motor. Ran a 220 shot in it all the time. Boost did it in. This blocks junk. Cam is hyd, so yeah, gonna put a bigger impeller in it. Also gonna bore my iron 5.3 to a 5.7 and put all my internals in it. See if that'll hold up to boat abuse.

The whole right side of the block is done.
Attached Thumbnails High RPM LS1.-img_2744.jpg   High RPM LS1.-img_2745.jpg   High RPM LS1.-img_2746.jpg   High RPM LS1.-img_2747.jpg  

Quick Reply: High RPM LS1.