Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No water circulation after head gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:52 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

What replacement water pump did you use?
Old 10-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSS
Most gaskets have the part # tab sticking out between 1/3 and 2/4 if faced correctly. See spawn's pic above.
Will check that too. Have to think about 2/4 at first. To me thats 1/2 and thats the same distance front to rear.

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
What replacement water pump did you use?
Got it original from the local Chevrolet dealership. It has the plugged back, not the one with a removable cover.

Today i filled the system from the top and got everything running right.
Heater hoses started getting warm, i checked the temps, going right up till the stat opened. After that temps stayed. I measured not more than 70°C outside of the upper radiator hose. Not an accurate measurement! I had no infrared thermometer handy.
Still have a problem with the temp gauge. It was up way beyond 260 in the morning (with temps just above freezing) and started going up when turning on ignition. Read out the coces and it showed low voltage temp sensor. Not sure what to do with that. Start first with a new sensor? I cracked the plastic housing a bit when torquing down the outer head bolt. Can't think that is the reason for the code.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PT Nova
Will check that too. Have to think about 2/4 at first. To me thats 1/2 and thats the same distance front to rear.

Got it original from the local Chevrolet dealership. It has the plugged back, not the one with a removable cover.

Today i filled the system from the top and got everything running right.
Heater hoses started getting warm, i checked the temps, going right up till the stat opened. After that temps stayed. I measured not more than 70°C outside of the upper radiator hose. Not an accurate measurement! I had no infrared thermometer handy.
Still have a problem with the temp gauge. It was up way beyond 260 in the morning (with temps just above freezing) and started going up when turning on ignition. Read out the coces and it showed low voltage temp sensor. Not sure what to do with that. Start first with a new sensor? I cracked the plastic housing a bit when torquing down the outer head bolt. Can't think that is the reason for the code.
Oh so bottom rad hose got warmer than before after all? Are you thinking the temp sender is faulty?
Old 10-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foxsl
Oh so bottom rad hose got warmer than before after all? Are you thinking the temp sender is faulty?
Yep, not hot, but noticeable.
I don't know where the temp sensor got the damage or whatever it is. I'll start with a new one and start from there. Do you have an other idea? Temp sensor was ok before gasket change.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PT Nova
Yep, not hot, but noticeable.
I don't know where the temp sensor got the damage or whatever it is. I'll start with a new one and start from there. Do you have an other idea? Temp sensor was ok before gasket change.
Darn gremlins, maybe a broken connector or a stretched wire. Is there any way you can get a cooking thermometer in the resevoir to check temp?
Old 10-17-2015, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Remove the radiator cap (when cold) and stick the thermometer in the radiator? Then start car. Would that work?
Old 10-18-2015, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Is it possible to route the belt in such a way the WP is rotating backwards? I'm not being a dick, just asking.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foxsl
Darn gremlins, maybe a broken connector or a stretched wire. Is there any way you can get a cooking thermometer in the resevoir to check temp?

I checked with a cooking thermometer at the hoses. I don't think measurements in the expansion tank read properly because the lack of circulation. There is no provision to measure at the radiator as the fill cap is on the expansion tank.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default No water circulation after head gasket change

Did you bleed air out from the steam crossover tube...?
Old 10-18-2015, 10:14 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

If you leave the radiator cap off and start the engine, you should see water pumping through the radiator after the thermostat opens.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Steam hose was disconnected, expansion tank cap open. There is circulation for sure. Thanks to all who helped! I'll post when the new temp sensor is in.

Quick Reply: No water circulation after head gasket change