Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No water circulation after head gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No water circulation after head gasket change

I replaced a head gasket on a buddies 2006 Silverado 1500. Ordered a new water pump and thermostat as well. Heads were checked at the machine shop and milled flat.
I assembled the motor, filled antifreeze and fired it up. It ran good, temp started rising and stopped just above 210. Heating was fine and i went for a test ride for about 4 mls.
Everything fine as well. Temp a tad above 210. Back at the garage, parked the truck with the motor running then the temp started going up. Checked the hose to the radiator, no pressure, hand warm. Heater hoses hot, but could touch them.
The lower radiator hose was cold. Thermostat not open?
I removed the housing, checked thermostat in boiling water, OK.
Puzzeld everything together again, started, temps rising even more. NO temps in the heater hoses. Plain cold.
I had no time to check the water pump today. Belt is ok.

Something like this happend to someone before? Looks like the new GM water pump doesn't pump. Or are there other possibilities?
Old 10-16-2015, 01:27 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I'd bet you installed the head gasket backwards.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
I'd bet you installed the head gasket backwards.
What he said. There's a passageway on the front of the block on each side that gets blocked if you put the gasket on backwards. The gaskets are usually marked "Front" and put on correctly on one side that is facing up (and obviously towards the front) and on the other side of the block that will face down (and towards the front). You just have to make sure that the front passageways can be seen through the gasket.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Teching In

I bet at least one is correct. Thats the one i put in. And with at least one in the right direction i have to have circulation? Or am i wrong?
Old 10-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svede1212
What he said. There's a passageway on the front of the block on each side that gets blocked if you put the gasket on backwards. The gaskets are usually marked "Front" and put on correctly on one side that is facing up (and obviously towards the front) and on the other side of the block that will face down (and towards the front). You just have to make sure that the front passageways can be seen through the gasket.
The gaskets were marked Front top and bottom so front could be read on either side. As said before i'm 100% on the left side gasket and that has to give me at least half of flow?
Old 10-16-2015, 02:03 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Why did the head gasket get replaced in the first place?

If I were your buddy, I'd want you to at least pop the head back off and check to eliminate that possibility.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
Why did the head gasket get replaced in the first place?

If I were your buddy, I'd want you to at least pop the head back off and check to eliminate that possibility.
He had a small water leak somewhere and we tried to nail it down to something over months. When a shop made a CO test on the radiator and said "head gasket" he decided to change the head gaskets. Nothing visible after disassembly and the machine shop said the heads were flat and just needed cleaning.

You say pull the right head. Whats with the stretch bolts? I have to replace them again or did someone successful reused them?
Old 10-16-2015, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as you had front facing the timing cover, your fine. But even then, as far as i am aware the heads would still have ports open to allow flow through the cylinder head. Not to mention the fact that with the way the hoses are routed on most LS engines you would get hot hoses on either side regardless what orientation the gaskets were. Sounds to me like you have a faulty water pump or a bad thermostat, so the first and easier of the two things is to run it without a thermostat. (side note, make sure your thermostat has a small 1/16 hole or bobble valve to allow for air bleeding through the tstat to prevent air pockets)

As you can see from the picture below, both sides of the gasket have large ports to allow water to flow through the cylinder head from the water manifold, the only thing that would be obstructed would be flow around the sleeves.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Million dollar question....did you add coolant to the upper rad hose or just the rad?
Old 10-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spawne32
As long as you had front facing the timing cover, your fine. But even then, as far as i am aware the heads would still have ports open to allow flow through the cylinder head. Not to mention the fact that with the way the hoses are routed on most LS engines you would get hot hoses on either side regardless what orientation the gaskets were. Sounds to me like you have a faulty water pump or a bad thermostat, so the first and easier of the two things is to run it without a thermostat. (side note, make sure your thermostat has a small 1/16 hole or bobble valve to allow for air bleeding through the tstat to prevent air pockets)

As you can see from the picture below, both sides of the gasket have large ports to allow water to flow through the cylinder head from the water manifold, the only thing that would be obstructed would be flow around the sleeves.
I checked both the old and new thermostat and they open fine. Both had the bobble valves.
But without flow through the heater the thermostat could not open.
I can check without thermostat but with the internal water bypass in the water pump there will be no flow through the heater core. The radiator should work with no thermostat.
Unfortunately the water pump has the pressed back so i can't check if there is something wrong internal.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foxsl
Million dollar question....did you add coolant to the upper rad hose or just the rad?

Filled up through the expansion tank.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PT Nova
Filled up through the expansion tank.
Hmmm because ONLY after I filled the coolant through the upper rad hose did it become available for the thermostat to do its job and circulate coolant. From just the rad/overflow filled, you won't have any luck unless you were being sarcastic lol I don't know
Old 10-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Teching In

The expansion tank is T-ed in the return hose coming from the heater core. The thermostat has bypass holes between the water pump in and out passage to the heater core so i can't see why the thermostat should have no water to work with.
I would agree if you said the water pump has to be purged over the upper radiator hose t owork properly. Is this what you're talking about?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't tried the heater hose route but I know what you mean now as far as the routing. However it doesn't make sense that the stat isn't opening despite being tested like the stuff I went through but it only indicates that the heater hose method is insufficient. It's worth a shot filling through the upper unless you'de rather go through the work of taking the heads off again.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can't fill up through the expansion tank and expect to be full. lol Like foxsl said, you have to fill up through the upper radiator hose to get enough coolant behind the stat for it to open properly.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foxsl
I haven't tried the heater hose route but I know what you mean now as far as the routing. However it doesn't make sense that the stat isn't opening despite being tested like the stuff I went through but it only indicates that the heater hose method is insufficient. It's worth a shot filling through the upper unless you'de rather go through the work of taking the heads off again.
Thats for sure. I'll do that tomorrow first.
What is a bit weird that the heater hoses were hot the first time. After i noticed the radiator return hose was still cold and changing the thermostat the heater hoses stayed cold. Could be an air bubble catched in the water pump....
Old 10-16-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats for sure. I'll do that tomorrow first.
What is a bit weird that the heater hoses were hot the first time. After i noticed the radiator return hose was still cold and changing the thermostat the heater hoses stayed cold. Could be an air bubble catched in the water pump....
Youll get large air bubbles all over the cooling system if you dont fill from the highest point and have a way to allow air to escape at the highest point. I always use water wetter or purple ice (in this case purple ice for me) to help prevent air pockets from forming. But then again our cooling systems are different and the LS4 has a coolant cap right on top of the water manifold at the very top of the engine.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh forsure so many air bubbles to evacuate. I had to run mine with the cap off for at least 30 minutes from filling the system from dry. I replaced a perfectly good water pump by thinking it was the issue because I didn't fill from the upper rad hose to the water pump. Just trying to save people from the same junk I went through.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the support guys!
I'll try the radiator hose fill methode first tomorrow and hope for a good outcome. Second i'll check with my buddy to clear things up with the right hand head gasket. Is there a way to tell from the outside???
Old 10-16-2015, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the support guys!
I'll try the radiator hose fill methode first tomorrow and hope for a good outcome. Second i'll check with my buddy to clear things up with the right hand head gasket. Is there a way to tell from the outside???
Most gaskets have the part # tab sticking out between 1/3 and 2/4 if faced correctly. See spawn's pic above.

Quick Reply: No water circulation after head gasket change