Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam choice for 4.8 with LS1 intake and headers w/t56

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015 | 05:03 PM
Launching!

Default Cam choice for 4.8 with LS1 intake and headers w/t56

I know you guys probably hate threads like this.

I tried to do some research, but there's not much info out there for a 4.8, at least not one that's not running in a heavy truck with an auto trans. The information I can find was mostly for "truck cams" with a certain power band in mind.

Motor is a stock high mileage '01 4.8 with LS1 intake, F Body accessories, generic 1 3/4" headers/exhaust. It will be running in a 3k lb car with a t56, and 4.09 rear.

I'm slowly building a big cube motor on the side, but I would like to drop a cam in on this 4.8 before I install it.

I would prefer something relatively mild - something that's not going to require to put a ton of money into the drivetrain. If I can get high 200's at the wheels I'll be happy, anything on top of that will be gravy.

Again, I'm not looking for a "swap the motor" response - that's already in the works down the line. I already have the 4.8, it's going in the car no matter what, I just want to make it a little more lively in the meantime!

Some friends have suggested "Cam Motion Stage 2 Drop In Cam" or the "Crane 206" but I'm concerned this will have more of a towing/truck oriented powerband?

Thanks for your anticipated help!

Quick Reply: Cam choice for 4.8 with LS1 intake and headers w/t56