Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference betwen iron anf AL 5.3 & advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default difference betwen iron anf AL 5.3 & advice

I need a little help on direction to go. I've got a couple motors and have some questions. The first is a 2006 iron 5.3 with 60k, it had a lifter go bad and take out the cam. I bought a set of 243 heads for it. Today I picked up a 2006 5.3 also with 243 heads out of a Buick Rainier. The junkyard said it ran but was making noise, but I don't know what type of noise. The passenger valve cover was off and two of the lifters were pretty loose. I don't know if that is part of the problem or someone did that. They are pulling it this week. Under the valve cover looks extremely clean. My other two sets of heads look clean, but not like these.

I bought the Buick 5.3 mostly to get the intake, injectors, TB and MAF, but if it's not damaged I might keep it. Whichever one I keep is going in a 71 Cutlass convertible. What are the differences between the two other than weight and intake? I'll use the Rainier intake on whichever I go with. I know the 06 iron block has the stronger rods, does the aluminum also? On one hand I want to use the aluminum for the weight savings on the other hand I want to use the iron and sell the aluminum one to put money towards other things.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:21 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I believe as both engines are 5.3 and the same year, they'll have the same rods.

Aluminum blocks warm up quicker from a cold start and cool down quicker.

I would go aluminum.

As you have the motor out, it's worth the time and cost to do some freshening up. Bearings, piston rings, hone the cylinders, oil pump, timing chain, MLS head gaskets, new bolts... Have a machine shop freshen up the heads.

One of these hones lightly used on a drill will do a decent job:
Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks
Old 11-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 06 Rainer motor is a lh6 so it will have flat top Pistons to work with the 243s should be about 10:1 cr. 06 could be a 48t reluctor wheel. What color is the crank sensor? black then it is 24x if it is grey it is 58x. The lh6 is gen 4 so it will have the better rods
Old 11-02-2015, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLOMULA
The 06 Rainer motor is a lh6 so it will have flat top Pistons to work with the 243s should be about 10:1 cr. 06 could be a 48t reluctor wheel. What color is the crank sensor? black then it is 24x if it is grey it is 58x. The lh6 is gen 4 so it will have the better rods
Thanks for the info, glad it is a gen IV, I thought it was a L33.

I can't answer that yet. I bought it Saturday. The junkyard won't let people pull good (valuable) motors. But, they won't pull the harness so I have them waiting to pull the engine until I get the harness out this weekend otherwise they will hack it. I'm getting complete engine with intake, MAF, exhaust manifolds and I'm going to pull the pedal and harness with fuse block. Hopefully the block is not damaged.

The one I bought has no accessories on it other than water pump. Looking at pictures it has an odd looking PS pump, do other vehicles use this same pump?

Thanks!

Last edited by dewchugr; 11-02-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: difference betwen iron anf AL 5.3 & advice