Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap into fbody

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap into fbody

trying to decide what would be the best way to go for my 5.3 im building.
bottom end will be a stock crank with eagle rods heads are 853s that do not have pockets.
mild port work but stock valve sizes

so im trying to figure out which push rod to use, pistons, head gaskets, rings, intake, fuel injectors.
long term i would like to be able to add a 76 mm turbo but that is a project for probably next winter

if this is not in the right section please tell me and I will move!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll let others answer the specific engine related questions but we can talk about the injector/ turbo side...

If you go NA you will want to run some smaller injectors first. Then when you add the turbo & put in the bigger injectors. As for size, LS2 injectors should be adequate for NA on that motor with a bit of room to spare. Heck I ran my LS2's in my 5.3 up to 45lb/min of airflow at 54psi. They were right at 96%DC, IIRC, so not much left beyond that without bumping the pressure up.

Depending on how much it makes NA & how much manifold pressure you want to run, You will need anywhere from 55-70lb/hr with that turbo depending on whether you run pump or race gas. Running LS7's @73psi (works out to like 43lb/hr) on a friends truck. On 7psi with a 70mm he is not even to 85% DC. But dump E85 in it & turn it up to 16psi it spikes to 117%DC with 62lb/min. That is way richer than say a race gas motor would run so they should work up to that 600HP range. If you want more power, go bigger.

& I hope the build works out for you. I wanted to put a 6.0 in my notch back in '05 when I stretched a cylinder on the 306. Instead I sold it & built a 5.3l blazer with a 68mm. I ran LS2's in that, as mentioned.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 11-03-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info! its not going to be over 500 hp it does still have the stock rear in it. im allitle worried about that but I don't think there will be much room in the budget for a new one until next winter since im still in high school. will I need to do anything special with the ls2 injectors if I use an ls6 intake? or will they snap right into the regular fuel rails
Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry about the stock diff til it breaks. I was running 500rwhp in my notch & I never broke a rear. It was a stock 8.8" that all I did was change the clutches. The motor I built for it let go well before the rearend. When it does add a 9" & be done.

I didn't need to do anything to put the LS2 injectors except change the plugs. I think they are called EV1 mugs but j could be wrong. I went to a you-pull-it yard & snipped them off some malibu's they had. I nabbed like 12 for $10. Soldered then on the stock harness & went. My GTO has adapter plugs which are available.

Congrats on doing this at such a young age. I didn't venture into forced induction engine swaps until later in life. Until my 20's. I'm happy to see the desire to build fast cars with a bit of work is not lost on the newer generation.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradc
thanks for the info! its not going to be over 500 hp it does still have the stock rear in it. im allitle worried about that but I don't think there will be much room in the budget for a new one until next winter since im still in high school. will I need to do anything special with the ls2 injectors if I use an ls6 intake? or will they snap right into the regular fuel rails
Just a 5.3, f body, and a little elbow grease will put most of the other kids in your high school parking lot to shame. Ask me how I know. Sounds like a cool build. Keep us updated
Old 11-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SiskMan
Just a 5.3, f body, and a little elbow grease will put most of the other kids in your high school parking lot to shame. Ask me how I know. Sounds like a cool build. Keep us updated
unfortunately no one around here even knows what a wrench is. im looking forward to getting this project rolling!
Old 11-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Bump!

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap into fbody