Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building the Beast - 383 supercharged with Mamo top end

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Beast is looking awesome! Still interested in the Beauty mobile.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Beast is looking awesome! Still interested in the Beauty mobile.
Thanks buddy. I know you are. It's almost done man. I've just been lazy lately. My 3 year old and 11 week old are just a lot of fun lately lol.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Right ON! Kiddos come first!
Old 12-08-2017, 04:34 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Right ON! Kiddos come first!
Yeah definitely. Kids are a blast
Old 12-08-2017, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good! Is that the CF hardtop panel from 6LE?
Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Looks good! Is that the CF hardtop panel from 6LE?
Thanks! No it's from Burkhart Chassis. It's an entire roof. I had the t-tops deleted.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Thanks! No it's from Burkhart Chassis. It's an entire roof. I had the t-tops deleted.
Oh interesting, now that I look I see that MWC has one as well. Looks like you have to trim it to fit.

I have a hardtop with the bubbling roof. I picked up the entire roof portion of an older car that wasn't prone to the bubbling panel, but man is it a pain to get off. I still haven't gotten it, but haven't tried for a while either.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Oh interesting, now that I look I see that MWC has one as well. Looks like you have to trim it to fit.

I have a hardtop with the bubbling roof. I picked up the entire roof portion of an older car that wasn't prone to the bubbling panel, but man is it a pain to get off. I still haven't gotten it, but haven't tried for a while either.
Yeah I think they put them on with windshield glue or something real similar. So definitely not easy to get off.

I didn't realize you had to trim the one from MWC. The one from Burkhart I don't think needs to be trimmed and fits pretty well. Give him a call and he'll let you know. You also might want to look into VFN. I'm not sure but they might make one. I know they make one for t top cars but I don't know about hard top cars.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:44 PM
9 Second Club

Merry Christmas everybody

Aaron
Old 12-25-2017, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

And to you, Aaron!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:15 AM
9 Second Club

Ok, so getting back on this car finally. Hope to be done in the next couple weeks and to the dyno. I spent a bunch of time on my other car and have been neglecting this one. Finally got to see the engine. A little dusty

There are a few things I've been working on but I just haven't had time to update

Here's the surge tank. I made a small bracket to attach to the underside of the cowl and mounted the tank to it. Then ran all the steam ports from the 4 corners of the heads using -4an steam vent port fittings from summit and -4an ptfe black line so it matches everything else. Then I have a 10an fitting on the bottom of the tank that will run to the upper rad hose. I'll have some pics of that later.

Just need to tie the lines down a little better when I do the wiring

I mounted the surge tank as high as I could and checked to make sure it cleared the hood.

Ran my trans lines to the cooler with a fan up front. I made them out of the same line. This is -6an ptfe ss braided wrapped in black.

Finished my fuel plumbing. All ptfe braided ss black wrap. -12an dual lines from the sump tank to the pump, then -10an line to the front where it splits to -8an to the rails to a Aeromotive boost reference fuel pressure regulator to a -10an return line

Pic of return line. I used the other for a vent.

All finished. The standoffs there were where I was going to mount the fuel pump but it didn't work out with the exhaust. Lots of trial and error

Then I got into a few more things. I noticed that my vac pump belt was going to hit the procharger bracket so I'd need to make a different bracket. Then I started looking at the bracket for the procharger and decided to upgrade it to a Schoeneck setup. This setup will fit a bigger head unit when I decide to bump it up too.

The separate bracket there with the couple strips of yellow tape is for the alternator relocation. I already figured that out so I didn't use this part.

Took the vac pump off and radiator out for some room to work

This pic below I had part of the bracket on wrong. The part sticking out in the front goes on the back and attaches to the block in a couple spots to stabilize it. Very well thought out.

Went in pretty smooth.

Here's the tensioner pulley. It slides in from the back on the front piece of the bracket and the long bolt you can see there is what it attaches too for tensioning.

Trusty old D1

With a nice cog pulley upgrade. All included in the bracket kit.

Then after test fitting the head unit on the bracket I just didn't like how close it was to the radiator. It would fit but it was tight with the filter on.
So I decided to upgrade my radiator to a custom size setup with no radiator cap like I did with my other car. I really like the setup. It's Bell intercoolers custom setup. They're an awesome shop. Very good customer service. I had them put a shroud on for dual SPAL fans. With the extra room I could still fit dual fans in front of the procharger.

I had my neighbor weld some tabs on the end because I decided to delete the core support.

Test fitting everything. I was told to keep it close to the intercooler but not touch it.

Deleted the core support. I had left the ends of the core support on the care here because I wasn't quite sure what I was going to attach it to yet.

Here's what I initially cut off. I forgot to take a pic of the scale but it was about 8lbs

Here's the ends of the core support I cut off and put on the scale. Almost 3lbs. So about 10lbs to remove the entire piece

Used a spot weld removal kit from Eastwood that worked great. I had a harbor freight one and it was horrible. I hit it with weld thru primer then welded my brackets up for the radiator and hit with Eastwood chassis black paint. I'll mount the radiator up tomorrow and get some more pics of that.

All cleaned up here. (Looking from under the car towards the nose at the intercooler)

Just a pic from under the car because...

Ok so on to the vac pump

I ordered my valve covers to include 10an ports in the back so here is the drivers side. The passenger side comes up along the backside of the intake and comes into this tee and then goes to the front where the vac pump is.

Drivers side going to vac pump

Passenger side valve cover

Here's where I'm at with it now. I'm making a bracket out of two pieces like the procharger bracket. The first piece with attach to the head and then the second piece will attach to the first with bolts and spacers and then the vac pump will mount to it and run to the crank mandrel pulley. They fit pretty good I just need to tweak them a little and then have them made out of aluminum to match the other pieces.

After I finish the radiator install and vac pump all that's left is wiring. I have a custom harness from Racewire that I posted a bunch of pics of before and then my Holley Dominator efi setup with the harnesses. I'll be tackling this soon. My buddy is an electrician and is going to help me this next weekend. Always good to have an extra hand. Wiring is so tedious for me.

This is everything laid out. Looks intimidating lol

I had a guy make me a custom insert for my Holley dash. Then HioSSilver prepped and primed it and had it hydrodipped for me. Looks awesome

Old 08-06-2018, 06:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

That steam vent/surge tank setup will keep the temps down nicely. Almost there man...what a badass street car!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sxc Z28
That steam vent/surge tank setup will keep the temps down nicely. Almost there man...what a badass street car!
I'm hoping so. Thanks buddy
Old 08-06-2018, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazin job u did here, congrats bro...

Greetz
Ron
Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
Amazin job u did here, congrats bro...

Greetz
Ron
Thanks man. It's been a long road. I can't wait to get back in the seat.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Damn this is coming along nice!

Great work!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Aaron is very regarded
Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 AM
9 Second Club

Lol. Thanks guys.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

Got the radiator in.

From the bottom

I could space it a little closer to the intercooler if needed also

Just need to button up the coolant lines now and the coolant system is done.

I'm thinking I need a gasket of some sort here. It didn't come with anything but I'm sure I could make something.

Hopefully get a little more done tonight.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:33 AM
9 Second Club

Got the Procharger mounted properly. I had to add a spacer behind the procharger cog pulley to get it to fit the bracket. I got it straight from Procharger from Bob at Brute Speed. Great guy.

View from the top side with the fans in and head unit mounted (no pulley)

I thought I'd have a little more room here. Oh well. I may have a little nicer bracket made that holds the intercooler and radiator later on and I could move both forward then

Couple views from underneath

Working on the vac pump bracket here. Need to move the bolt holes a bit to line up better and I'm modifying the other piece also

My notes when I was doing the first vac pump bracket pieces and radiator tabs

Quick Reply: Building the Beast - 383 supercharged with Mamo top end