Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydro lock or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I’m with Darth_V8r you’re going to have to get your hands dirty. All anyone can do in internet land is guess. Do a compression test, pull the valve covers, pull the heads, oil pan or take it somewhere and have them check it for you.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I pulled the valve covers and did not see anything abnormal. I also pulled the # 5 and 6 spark plugs. The number 6 (the cylinder # that had water dropping in it) was really dark and looked like it had oil on it possibly? Maybe just really foul. That's what I have so far.
Attached Thumbnails Hydro lock or no?-valvetrain-1.jpg   Hydro lock or no?-valvetrain-2.jpg   Hydro lock or no?-valvetrain-3.jpg   Hydro lock or no?-valvetrain-4.jpg   Hydro lock or no?-valvetrain-5.jpg  

Hydro lock or no?-valvetrain-6.jpg   Hydro lock or no?-valvetrain-7.jpg  
Old 12-02-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

So, that pretty much rules out the top end. i'd say pull the trans next and inspect the clutch area. You'll want to dismantle the clutch and remove the flywheel, since you have thoughts the flywheel could be bent.

If you don't find anything at that point, I would contact a vendor about a long block. There are also plenty of good used engines out there, so I guess it depends on your commitment level to keeping the car long-term. And on the plus side, your almost 3/4 of the way to having the engine removed
Old 12-02-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Number 6 plug looks dark and oily because the piston is not moving. Running the engine like that mixes gas with the water in that cylinder and it disolves the carbon built up on top of piston. While the plug is out hold a finger over plug hole while someone turns over engine to confirm. No sence in trying to find another problem when it all pointing to this. I have 2 motors that suffered the same thing in my garage now.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO A COMPRESSION TEST!!!!

If you find a low cylinder, you know where to start.

Quick Reply: Hydro lock or no?