Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more needles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Martin

i called you and couldn't leave a message..i would like to order a set of these from you....thanks Bob 706 466 6227
Old 01-15-2016, 05:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob,

Send me an email to the address in my signature or try calling me again on Monday.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

Pictures for those that asked:

Name:  sureoil-1_zpsgrpuyr30.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  sureoil-2_zpswtfecpw4.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  12.6 KB
Old 01-18-2016, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there enough oil pressure in that part of the head to properly lubricate these?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Default nice

those look nice can't wait to get my set..............thanks
Old 01-19-2016, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by spawne32
Is there enough oil pressure in that part of the head to properly lubricate these?
That was one of the concerns faced during the design process which is why the dedicated oil channels were added to help direct oil to the bushing so it stays properly lubricated.

I can also say that every single part of this trunion kit is manufactured in America.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Can someone order a half set?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 35spline
I will check, but I doubt it honestly. Each kit is ordered to be sold as a full set, and if we pirated a half set from a full set, then there would only be a half set left.

That said, I will check for you and see if your needs can be accommodated.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default nice

got my kit today and the install went very good..thanks Martin.......Bob
Old 01-28-2016, 07:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 35spline
I can get you a half set.

Contact me for details.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 896 Likes on 638 Posts

Don't ask questions.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Whats the life expectancy of these bushings? Will they last as long as the bearing style trunion upgrade?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
Whats the life expectancy of these bushings? Will they last as long as the bearing style trunion upgrade?
IMO they should last much longer.

The load with a bushing is spread out over a much larger surface area which reduces wear since that contact load is spread out. With a needle bearing the load is concentrated on just a few needles and those same needles are loaded over and over again.

Although the load that the bushing sees is concentrated on the same area over and over again, the key is that it is spread out over a larger area which reduces wear compared to a needle bearing.

One thing I'd also like to mention, anyone using these bushing trunion kits should invest in a good oil that has high amounts of ZDDP. Most of your shelf oils like Royal Purple, Mobile 1, etc. have 800 or less PPM ZDDP. IMO this is not enough to keep a push rod motor happy with higher lift camshafts, more aggressive lobe designs and higher spring pressures. For example, VR1 has 1300 PPM ZDDP and some oils like Brad Penn ($$$) have 2000 PPM or more.

Even if you don't use these bushing trunion kits, IMO if you have an aftermarket camshaft with more lift than stock, aftermarket springs with more spring pressure than stock, or any other internal engine modifications I'd recommend an oil with high levels of ZDDP.

Vavoline VR1 is one of the best oils to use in these situations IMO. I like VR1 because it's cheap ($6.00-$7.50 a quart depending on where you live) and it has worked extremely well in every engine I have used it in.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:41 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Let me ask a question here since the one in the FI section didn't get answered

Longevity is what I was concerned with, but here's another take:

We're all well aware of the LS7 guide issues. Do you think these might have ANY bearing whatsoever on possibly extending the life of those valve guides or helping in the slightest?

You've got my attention Martin. I hate the damn needles myself. My ONLY concern is if the bushings rotate around so different parts see loads at different times

(kinda like how a dual valve spring will spin around on it's own at higher RPM... why stock locks are recommended over say Super 7's that absolutely lock the retainers in place and don't allow movement)

I guess I want to know will the same 30% be seeing the load the entire life cycle?
Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Way off topic, but I almost miss buguul on avatar, DR

Edit - I see he's back!

Last edited by Darth_V8r; 01-30-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has any real world testing been done yet? I'll be ready to upgrade my rockers in about a month once my motor is all together.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zraffz
Has any real world testing been done yet? I'll be ready to upgrade my rockers in about a month once my motor is all together.
We will know soon as more and more people install them.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Let me ask a question here since the one in the FI section didn't get answered

Longevity is what I was concerned with, but here's another take:

We're all well aware of the LS7 guide issues. Do you think these might have ANY bearing whatsoever on possibly extending the life of those valve guides or helping in the slightest?

You've got my attention Martin. I hate the damn needles myself. My ONLY concern is if the bushings rotate around so different parts see loads at different times

(kinda like how a dual valve spring will spin around on it's own at higher RPM... why stock locks are recommended over say Super 7's that absolutely lock the retainers in place and don't allow movement)

I guess I want to know will the same 30% be seeing the load the entire life cycle?
I must of missed your post Dave, my apologizes.

To my knowledge the valve guide and exhaust valve issue with the LS7 engine is not caused by an issue with the rocker arm. I am not an expert on the LS7 issues, but my understanding was a poor choice in the design of the exhaust valve opened the door to guide issues and the issues the LS7 has experienced.

The needle bearing that encapsulates a rocker arm trunion does not rotate 360* around the trunion during engine operation, and neither does the bushing in my kit. It's not like a needle bearing in a roller lifter that has a wheel. The needle bearing only rotates as far as the rocker is actuated. In this instance for the needle bearing to rotate 360*, the entire rocker would have to also rotate 360* like the wheel of a roller lifter.

So in this same instance no matter needle or bushing, the same needles or the same area of the bushing sees the same load over and over again. In a needle bearing application, only a few out of all those needles see load which means that load is concentrated in a much smaller area than with a bushing which spreads it out over a larger area.

This is where the bushing is superior in terms of handling load and wear. Since the area that the load is being placed upon is greater, the actual load that the part sees is significantly less leading to less wear and tear on moving parts.

Originally Posted by zraffz
I have a few beta testers that I sent kits to that will be making posts regarding installation and their experience with the kits.

I've also sold 30 kits +/- so far personally, so there will a lot of them out there making the rounds very soon.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:39 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I saw Chris post this on Yellowbullet in regards to the bushed lifters:

Originally Posted by cstraub
The downside of bushing where the needles have advantage is that bushing don't like dirty oil. You will need to up your oil change intervals with bushing lifters. 1000 mile oil changes are best. Needles will take more abuse in this area and oil life can be stretched.
Can the same be said for the rocker bushing?
Old 02-02-2016, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KCS
I saw Chris post this on Yellowbullet in regards to the bushed lifters:

Can the same be said for the rocker bushing?
I would say yes. Anytime I'm asked how often engine oil should be changed when using a more aggressive camshaft, higher spring pressures etc. I recommend 3,000 mile oil change intervals.

The only way to know for sure when the best time to change oil would be, is to conduct an oil analysis.

Quick Reply: No more needles!