Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block cleaning after machine work

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block cleaning after machine work

What's up guys, question. How do I go about cleaning my engine block? I just got it back from the machine shop & they did cam bearings for me, among other things. So with the cam bearings installed can I clean this thing thoroughly? Like with dish detergent, pressure washer, & just real, real good? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, clean that puppy good and rinse and dry/blow it out good. Make sure all the block plugs are removed.

Aluminum or iron block? Using head bolts or studs?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Get a set of engine brushes to scrub the oil passages. You can find them from Summit.

I use a pressure washer to knock off all the heavy crap, then mix up some detergent and hot water to dip the brushes in before scrubbing the passages, lifter bores, and cylinders. Then I use the pressure washer to wash it all out again.

After that, I spray WD40 on any iron machined surfaces so they don't rust, like the iron sleeves in an aluminum block. If you have compressed air, blow out all the bolts holes and oil passages. Before assembly, I will clean the cylinders with paper towels and ATF until there is no more grey grit showing on the paper towel. Then I use acetone after the ATF and finally coat the cylinders with oil until I'm ready to assemble.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Yes, clean that puppy good and rinse and dry/blow it out good. Make sure all the block plugs are removed.

Aluminum or iron block? Using head bolts or studs?
Iron 6.0 bored & honed .030 over w/ a tourque plate.
Callies h beams
Lunati 4" crank
Wiseco -3cc pistons
ARP hardware all around, head & main studs

Thanks bro that's what I wAnted to do as far as cleaning it. Just the cam bearings thru me for a loop! Lol!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
Get a set of engine brushes to scrub the oil passages. You can find them from Summit.

I use a pressure washer to knock off all the heavy crap, then mix up some detergent and hot water to dip the brushes in before scrubbing the passages, lifter bores, and cylinders. Then I use the pressure washer to wash it all out again.

After that, I spray WD40 on any iron machined surfaces so they don't rust, like the iron sleeves in an aluminum block. If you have compressed air, blow out all the bolts holes and oil passages. Before assembly, I will clean the cylinders with paper towels and ATF until there is no more grey grit showing on the paper towel. Then I use acetone after the ATF and finally coat the cylinders with oil until I'm ready to assemble.
Thanks man for all the info!!! I'm Def gonna clean the heck out of everything exactly how you said! I have all my brushes & pressure washer, shop air, etc... I'll just b careful by the cam bearings. They r durabond coated.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Sounds like a plan. Carry on then....
Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Pressure wash cabinet at the machine shop, it's worth what most charge if anything at all and your block will come out looking like it's new, the 200* + water under extreme pressure gets what you cannot, Just saying.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:00 AM
Launching!

Sounds like a plan. Carry on then....
Is this ATF good for cleaning the cylinders?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:00 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

If you don't have access to a pressure wash cabinet used by machine shops, sudsy soapy water on everything is better than trans fluid. Use Dawn dish washing soap because it cuts through grease and dissolves oil like magic.

Use plenty of compressed air afterwards to clear the ports and passages and blind bolt holes.

Immediately coat the cylinder bores and bearing saddles with WD40 to prevent rust from forming. You'll wipe this off during assembly.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Launching!

If you don't have access to a pressure wash cabinet used by machine shops, sudsy soapy water on everything is better than trans fluid. Use Dawn dish washing soap because it cuts through grease and dissolves oil like magic.

Use plenty of compressed air afterwards to clear the ports and passages and blind bolt holes.

Immediately coat the cylinder bores and bearing saddles with WD40 to prevent rust from forming. You'll wipe this off during assembly.
Thank you bro, I appreciate the help!
Old 01-31-2016, 02:14 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

You have to use the ATF on the cylinders though. The ATF is going to get the honing grit out of the cylinders better than soap water or even straight acetone. You can clean a block all day with soap and water, then wipe the cylinders with acetone until the paper towel comes out white, and then use ATF and there will still be honing grit coming out with the ATF.

Name:  DSCN2204.jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  55.4 KB
Old 01-31-2016, 04:12 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Yes, this is true. If you're having the cylinders honed, your machinist will more than likely use ATF to wipe the bores when he's done.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Banned

I hand this out with the motors we machine for people to assemble themselves.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcdjsoadi4...heet.docx?dl=0
Old 01-31-2016, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also if it's an LS6 and maybe later block, be sure to have a good look at the areas on the casting windows between the main webs that can trap dirt, I found some grit on there that can be easily missed.

Jason.

Quick Reply: Block cleaning after machine work