Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by roth2000
I just received my kit from BTR and I was disappointed to find that the install washers weren't included in the kit. I just figured that a couple of washers wouldn't have to be ordered separate so now I have to figure out how to get my hands on an "install kit".
The instruction sheet we supply clearly states what items to use for installation. All of which can be found in most home garages.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris I sent you a email.
My kit looks great.

Tim
Old 05-09-2016, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Chris I sent you a email.
My kit looks great.

Tim
Tim,
Got the email and tell Ed we are taking care of it sir.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered a set.......
Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
The instruction sheet we supply clearly states what items to use for installation. All of which can be found in most home garages.
Why don't you post the instruction sheet here as a PDF for everyone to see?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here you go

If one feels he can follow this:

Straub Technologies LS SureOil Trunnion Kit Instructions (Fits all LS OEM Rockers)
Tools Needed: Drill Press, Vice, or Press / 5/8” 6 Point Shallow Well Socket / 1/2” 6 Point Deep Well Socket
7/8” 6 Shallow Well Socket / Snap Ring Pliers / Safety Glass / Motor oil that is being used in engine build
Disassembly
1. Remove items from packaging and visual inspect all parts. You should have 16 trunnions, 32 bushings, and 32 Snap Rings. If you have purchased the optional hardware kit you should have 16 8MM bolts.
2. Clean your rocker assemblies off removing any oil or dirt before disassembly.
3. Using the 7/8” socket on 1 side to catch the trunnion and bearings and using the ½” socket on the opposite side to push the trunnion and bearing assemblies out using your vice or your press. If using a drill press center the rocker over the thru hole of the drill press instead of using the 7/8” socket. The assemblies will remove easily with just a little force. Repeat this for all 16 rockers.
4. After you have all of the rockers disassembled, wash the rockers using Dawn or another soap to remove the oil and dirt from the rockers. Blow dry with high pressure air if possible.
Assembly
1. Grab a rocker and apply a little oil all around the housing bore of the rocker where the bushing will be pressed in.
2. Set the rocker on the flat surface of the press or drill press. If using a vice grab a rocker, a bushing, and the 5/8” socket. Align 1 bushing against the side of the rocker that you are going to install the first bushing. Place the driver side of the 5/8” socket against the bushing. Slowly apply pressure from the vice or press that you are using to start the bushing into the housing. Once it has started press the bushing till it is flush with the side of the rocker.
3. Place the rocker with pressed in bushing on the open side of the 7/8” Shallow well or if using a drill press over the through hole.
4. Drop the trunnion in place in the rocker. Place the second bushing on the rocker body.
5. Using the 5/8” Shallow Well socket place the open end towards the bushing. Center the socket and slowly apply pressure until the bushing starts to press into the rocker body. Once it starts press the bushing till it is flush with the rocker body.
6. Now hold the rocker by the ends of the trunnion and make sure it spins freely. If it does your almost done.
7. Take the snap ring pliers and install the snap ring on each side of the rocker. Apply a little oil to the rocker area so that it reaches the oil channel in the trunnion.
8. Repeat this 15 more times and you are DONE!!! * If you have the bolt kit, Torque to 29#/ft ww.straubtechnologies.com

Then I am confident the DYI can achieve success.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When you see the kit contents, it becomes obvious what to do.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:05 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my trunion upgraded rockers on my setup for about a year now, with about 900 miles on them, I'm going to pull one or two and inspect, and if they don't feel silky smooth, I'm going to do this upgrade.... it's worth the peace of mind to me.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I've had my trunion upgraded rockers on my setup for about a year now, with about 900 miles on them, I'm going to pull one or two and inspect, and if they don't feel silky smooth, I'm going to do this upgrade.... it's worth the peace of mind to me.
I wouldn't expect you to have any issues after 900 miles. However, keep this in mind: mine felt silky smooth when I pulled them. I did not know there was a problem until I pressed out the comp trunion and visibly saw the damage.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 08mojo
I wouldn't expect you to have any issues after 900 miles. However, keep this in mind: mine felt silky smooth when I pulled them. I did not know there was a problem until I pressed out the comp trunion and visibly saw the damage.
Yeah, I will take one apart just to check on the wear.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Teching In

I realized my post above was the first one on this site. I purchased a 2008 Z06 about a year ago and quickly swapped the heads, cam and exhaust due to the known issues with the ls7. I pulled the heads off the car with only 6,500 miles and the guides were out of spec. Since there has not been a consensus on the root cause of the guide wear issue (although I have my own opinions), I decided that I would pull the top-end down a year later and check everything. That is when I discovered the comp trunions had failed:

2016-05-11_11-03-03 , on Flickr

2016-05-11_10-59-09 , on Flickr

2016-05-11_10-59-31 , on Flickr

I ordered the Straub kit and I should be installing the rockers back on my car today. I just left the machine shop and we determined that we needed to hone the ls7 rockers. Straub has said the bushings where designed for a nominal rocker bore size of 0.8125". My ls7 rockers measured 0.8120". After measuring the rockers and the bushings, the rockers are being honed to take off roughly 0.0002", which will give me the specified 0.001" to 0.0015" press fit. Really, the only thing the hone is doing is squaring the bore of the rockers--which seems important to me with a bushing setup.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Waiting for the the School Vette to come in for a new top half overhaul of cam and a set of newly designed roller lifters. When under the knife the rockers will be pulled and inspected. They should have over 20K miles on them.

Multiple board sponsors have reported that customers after bushing install say it is the quietest LS valve train they have heard.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Multiple board sponsors have reported that customers after bushing install say it is the quietest LS valve train they have heard.
I got the rockers installed yesterday. The vavle-train is much, much quieter than the comp needle bearing setup.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 08mojo
I got the rockers installed yesterday. The vavle-train is much, much quieter than the comp needle bearing setup.
Thank you for the update sir.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'm sold... I need to get a set.... and a bench press as well.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not saying that these arent better, and more than likely these will be going on the extra set of rockers I have and get installed when I do my valve spring upgrade in the fall. But why do you guys think these wont fail the same way? The problem, as i see it, is the limited movement of the rocker. Force is applied to the same patch area all the time. It would look like it would cause the same wear pattern as the other kits. It does have a larger contact area but given time wouldnt it leave the same wear marks??
Old 05-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
Not saying that these arent better, and more than likely these will be going on the extra set of rockers I have and get installed when I do my valve spring upgrade in the fall. But why do you guys think these wont fail the same way? The problem, as i see it, is the limited movement of the rocker. Force is applied to the same patch area all the time. It would look like it would cause the same wear pattern as the other kits. It does have a larger contact area but given time wouldnt it leave the same wear marks??
I suppose it depends on lubrication. If the oil film is sufficient, the bushing setup should last indefinitely. I suspect the majority of wear these will see is at startup.

Regardless, the comp setup didn't even last 5k miles in my car--this is my last option before a way over built setup for the street.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Because the load is distributed much better.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Needle or bushing they are going to fail...both of them. Hell we fail. The benefit of the bushing that while in failure mode the bushing will wear...rocker will get noisy and it can be repaired. No catastrophic failure. On the other hand a needle can find its way out of the rocker and into the engine. It is amazing the catastrophic failure that a small needle bearing can cause.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:13 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Is it a case of the trunnion itself is not hardened properly?

Quick Reply: Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?