Sponsored by:

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
UPDATE:
I'm going to include a packet of Driven High Pressure Assembly lube with each of the Straub Kits. This will be included in all LS1 Tech Sponsors kits also. This will ensure that the DIY guys get a good high pressure lube that will be there during start up.

I just received my new straub bushing kit yesterday, straight from straub. Can you make good and shoot me the packet of the lube for assembly?
Old 05-17-2016, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Don't get your panties in a wad. I wasn't aware I or ANYONE else had to have "skin in the game" to post on a PUBLIC FORUM. Congrats on being a seasoned engineer....so from engineer to engineer (and 1 who has multiple technology patents in the transportation industry), I'll voice my concern if I feel the need to. I've been around long enough to see vendors go under from being bashed on a forum, and other vendors screw over hardworking members of this forum (Kentucky Turbo comes to mind).

I do truly hope you get it sorted out and it looks like Chris S. is working with you and others to resolve. I'm impressed seeing as he isn't even a vendor on this site, to my knowledge.
Years ago I was taught that a sale was something that solved a problem...not something that created one. Many DIY may not have high pressure grease or the ability to prime the car. Brad's post has made me aware I need to go 1 step further with what comes in the kit. I spoke a couple of engineers on what we could do and both agreed a packet of assembly lube was the best problem solver.

Most of my customers are wholesale. I have several on here and as a mfg I need to support them. I also happen to love this industry and the opportunities it has given me over the years. A little paying it back is all worth it.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by customblackbird
I just received my new straub bushing kit yesterday, straight from straub. Can you make good and shoot me the packet of the lube for assembly?
You are taken care of sir.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Years ago I was taught that a sale was something that solved a problem...not something that created one. Many DIY may not have high pressure grease or the ability to prime the car. Brad's post has made me aware I need to go 1 step further with what comes in the kit. I spoke a couple of engineers on what we could do and both agreed a packet of assembly lube was the best problem solver.

Most of my customers are wholesale. I have several on here and as a mfg I need to support them. I also happen to love this industry and the opportunities it has given me over the years. A little paying it back is all worth it.
Good deal Chris. I was impressed that you took the time to post on here and answer questions and work with individuals like Brad. Not being a direct vendor on the site meant you didn't HAVE to, but CHOSE to, which means you stand behind your product.

So from the sound of things its mainly an initial startup issue and using the newly provided grease will resolve this? I.E. It is only a problem upon first startup after installing the bushing trunion kit when this excess wear would occur, made worse by the fact that the topend isn't well lubricated unless the owner chose to prime the engine and lube the topend?
Old 05-17-2016, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider
So from the sound of things its mainly an initial startup issue and using the newly provided grease will resolve this? I.E. It is only a problem upon first startup after installing the bushing trunion kit when this excess wear would occur, made worse by the fact that the topend isn't well lubricated unless the owner chose to prime the engine and lube the topend?
Initial start up yes and I have had 3 report the squeal now. This would be .00125% of the kits sold. No means an issue but putting the high pressure assembly lube and hoping he customer uses it should put this number at 0000%
Old 05-17-2016, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Initial start up yes and I have had 3 report the squeal now. This would be .00125% of the kits sold. No means an issue but putting the high pressure assembly lube and hoping he customer uses it should put this number at 0000%
Got it. There's no such thing as guaranteed 100% in real life so I don't bat an eye at your failure rate, kudos for being proactive anyways to help out.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any way to get the lube if ordered indirect from Colorado Speed?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I just want to clarify unlike the other who reported the squeal,im not saying my squeal is from the trunions..just coincidence considering i was replacing lifters/trays/heads/springs/valves/pushrods all at once.I did prime the motor as best I could and presoaked everything also before initial start up.i dont blame anyone or any sole part for my experience and it hasnt shown any signs that something has failed or premature wear.Im very happy with my purchase and even if i bought the newer style trunions and received the assembly lube in my package..with my luck it still wouldve squealed some and id over look it lol.I think my noise was more from the ls7 lifters more than anything else.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:57 AM
On The Tree

After reading about the squealing, I used assembly lube on mine. Should be good to go when I start the engine for the first time.
Glad to see a packet of lube will be provided now, way to be proactive for a very limited issue. I applaud you sir, as a vendor/supplier/individual with the morals and values that you seem to operate by!!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I pulled the trigger on the Straub bronze trunnions and I used Lucas assembly lube to assemble them. They all move very freely with super-tight tolerances. They make the Comp trunnions that I removed seem sloppy by comparison and now I need to install them on the motor. I have to say that I was nervous because of the reports of problems in this thread, but my fears were unfounded. This is a super nice trunnion kit and puts the other kits to shame. Here are some pictures:

Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Teching In

They do seem like quality parts. Packaged nicely.

I was going to ask if red permatex assembly lube would suffice since i got my kit Monday before adding the grease packs.

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-3ao9fon.jpg

Found these little guys hiding in one.
I assume they are polishing stones that are used to achieve the finish you have on your parts.
Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-ojixtnk.jpg

There does seems to lots of little nicks all over the parts though. Possibly the from a stone vibrator/polisher. Dont think it will hurt anything.
Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-8q7ely1.jpg

Last edited by osburn383; 05-18-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by osburn383
They do seem like quality parts. Packaged nicely.

I was going to ask if red permatex assembly lube would suffice since i got my kit Monday before adding the grease packs.

Found these little guys hiding in one.
I assume they are polishing stones that are used to achieve the finish you have on your parts.

There does seems to lots of little nicks all over the parts though. Possibly the from a stone vibrator/polisher. Dont think it will hurt anything.
I will get on inspection about the "media" still in the part. I applaud you as our customers are the final inspectors. Good catch and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

The nicks will happen in tumbing but since they are under the OD and will actually hold oil they actually help in lubrication.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I spoke with Lake Speed Jr. and many engine builders have experience the squeal with bushed rod ends so he has customers using the assembly grease with rod bushings.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jontall
Well I pulled the trigger on the Straub bronze trunnions and I used Lucas assembly lube to assemble them. They all move very freely with super-tight tolerances. They make the Comp trunnions that I removed seem sloppy by comparison and now I need to install them on the motor. I have to say that I was nervous because of the reports of problems in this thread, but my fears were unfounded. This is a super nice trunnion kit and puts the other kits to shame. Here are some pictures:
I used the same stuff, no issues for me at all. I'm glad you came around, you seemed like a pretty strong opponent against the kit.

I have a lot of confidence in this kit, but I will hold my final opinion on the kit until I see real world results on how they hold-up over time. I'll pull some of the rockers off at 5,000 miles to check for anything abnormal. I'd also like to hear/see the results of the corvette school cars that have been running these for 20k miles.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Teching In

I will get on inspection about the "media" still in the part. I applaud you as our customers are the final inspectors. Good catch and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

The nicks will happen in tumbling but since they are under the OD and will actually hold oil they actually help in lubrication.
Yeah i figured the tumbler was the nicks. Thanks for responding.
Im sure it will be rare to find the media in the bolt pass through. Seeing as they have to perfectly jam three pieces like that to get stuck.

I am going to use the Permatex 81950 Ultra Slick Engine Assembly Lube on mine since i was planning to do them this weekend if you think that will be good enough rather than getting the grease.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gabhart
Any way to get the lube if ordered indirect from Colorado Speed?
If you have some high pressure grease or some cam assembly lube that works fine. A light film of white lithium in a pinch will work. If not pm me your address and I will send you packet in the mail.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by osburn383
Yeah i figured the tumbler was the nicks. Thanks for responding.
Im sure it will be rare to find the media in the bolt pass through. Seeing as they have to perfectly jam three pieces like that to get stuck.

I am going to use the Permatex 81950 Ultra Slick Engine Assembly Lube on mine since i was planning to do them this weekend if you think that will be good enough rather than getting the grease.
That will work just fine.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:09 AM

If you have some high pressure grease or some cam assembly lube that works fine. A light film of white lithium in a pinch will work. If not pm me your address and I will send you packet in the mail.
I've got it covered. Thanks for the offer!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

That will work just fine.
Chris, PsychoSid and I both ordered and installed kits in LS3 rockers recently. Neither of us had issues installing the kits, but they are already fully assembled and now I'm reading about these squealing issues. Aside from disassembly and reassembly with lube, have you found an effective way to prep assembled rockers? Maybe white lithium grease at a specific spot in the trunnion? Soaking in a particular oil bath?

The first set I bought was installed on an LS1 rocker set and they have really worked out nicely compared with the Comp upgraded rockers they replaced. I just want to make sure we're covered on our next two motors.

Thanks for providing a quality product!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Chris, PsychoSid and I both ordered and installed kits in LS3 rockers recently. Neither of us had issues installing the kits, but they are already fully assembled and now I'm reading about these squealing issues. Aside from disassembly and reassembly with lube, have you found an effective way to prep assembled rockers? Maybe white lithium grease at a specific spot in the trunnion? Soaking in a particular oil bath?

The first set I bought was installed on an LS1 rocker set and they have really worked out nicely compared with the Comp upgraded rockers they replaced. I just want to make sure we're covered on our next two motors.

Thanks for providing a quality product!

2400 kits have been sold since Feb and the squealing reports are less than my fingers on 1 hand. Using oil for assembly and install and start same day will work just fine. With assembly then some time before install some grease will be better. The rockers we supply board sponsors with the trunnion upgrade performed we use lube as they may sit.

Again I appreciate the reports on the squeal but it is a very isolated incident. Including the lube packs is a way that I can hopefully give my customers customer an added benefit with the kit. Your are FINE.

Quick Reply: Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?