Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just kidding.... I'm going to follow Chris's advice and squirt some assembly lube in the oil channel and work it in to assure that it doesn't start up dry.

themealonwheels - thanks for chasing this down for me while I was too busy to do it myself!

Chris - thanks for providing guidance on what we needed to do to avoid this issue.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I used assembly lube when I assembled mine and start-up was very quiet. No squealing or anything out of the ordinary. I have run them through 2 heat cycles and they are very quiet compared to the Comp trunnions that I removed.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About to do a heads cam swap on my car in a few months. Building up parts and just ordered this kit with bolts after reading all the info on here. This made me decide not to get the Comp Cams kit.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Does anyone know the failure rate of the Comp kit? I would imagine they have sold thousands of thousands. Just wondering how many failed.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmyg1911
Does anyone know the failure rate of the Comp kit? I would imagine they have sold thousands of thousands. Just wondering how many failed.
Everyone that has removed the Comp trunnions for inspection showed galling damage. Be aware that you will need to press out a bearing to inspect the trunnion. It will not give any indication like noise, that the trunnion is being galled and it will feel smooth when it rolled. I saw mine because there were small metal particles collecting around the C-clips so I pulled them apart and they were gone; less then 10,000 miles.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

To me it seems to be more of a wear issue then a failure issue. It might not show any issues until you pull it back a part which a lot of people don't do. Most people just stick them in and forget.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sierravmax
To me it seems to be more of a wear issue then a failure issue. It might not show any issues until you pull it back a part which a lot of people don't do. Most people just stick them in and forget.
Yes, but the trunions should not wear so soon (if at all)...

this indicates some incompatibility between the trunion material and/or heat treatment and the needles/rollers in the bearing (they seem to me to be very small in size).
Old 05-22-2016, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

As much as I wanted to add insight to my oil change this weekend from my 3hr drive to and from the armdrop event yesterday. Im fairly confident I ruined my fresh new lifters as the oil pushed past the cam sensor o ring and ran very low on oil from the highway pulls. here is a video from a few nights ago :

Then I made a light pass for fun taking it easy on the maxima beside me:

And then I went 3/4 tilt on the drive home with alot of cars from the event.My e-cutout got stuck open and I didnt hear the motor clacking till it was too late:

And now the end result is this bucket of bolts lol

But I think my trunions are holding up just fine
Old 05-22-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So far so good!
Attached Thumbnails Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-imagejpeg_1.jpg  
Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
I surmise that the Comp trunions are not heat treated properly, I will test this when I get home (see if a file cuts the running surface, if the heat treatment is correct then it should not).

Also note that the OE needle/rollers are bigger than those in the Comp kit (bigger radius roller spreads load out a bit more).
I had my Summit trunion checked today. It came it at almost exactly 40 Rc. I will know the material specs tomorrow. The finish on the bearing surface was 17.9 Ra. WAY too rough for a bearing surface. The hardness should be closer to 60 Rc to make it last. I will bet it is something like 4140 as that is about as hard as you can safely heat treat it.

The rollers are picking up the soft metal and literally eating the bearing surfaces away. If you have these style trunions, I would check them out at 10k. You probably do not have to disassemble the bearing from the rocker as if they are worn, you will feel play.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joyridin'
I had my Summit trunion checked today. It came it at almost exactly 40 Rc. I will know the material specs tomorrow. The finish on the bearing surface was 17.9 Ra. WAY too rough for a bearing surface. The hardness should be closer to 60 Rc to make it last. I will bet it is something like 4140 as that is about as hard as you can safely heat treat it.

The rollers are picking up the soft metal and literally eating the bearing surfaces away. If you have these style trunions, I would check them out at 10k. You probably do not have to disassemble the bearing from the rocker as if they are worn, you will feel play.
I also have some Summit trunions, do you want me to send you some, or is Summit just reselling Comp kits...?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
I also have some Summit trunions, do you want me to send you some, or is Summit just reselling Comp kits...?
No, mine are not very old. They had an extra trunion in the kit and that is the one I had checked. I am checking on making new trunions out of real material. The bearings should not be an issue. The trunions are junk.

Thanks for the offer! I do appreciate it!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Man 17 pages, forgive me for not reading it all before posting

I have the BTR trunions in a daily driver with a mild cam motion cam, btr duals, with TI retainers...

Should I be swapping these out ASAP for the bushings? Motor has been running fine, but this thread has made me worry. Can the BTR bolts be used with these bushings?

Last edited by mchicia1; 05-29-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Man 17 pages, forgive me for not reading it all before posting

I have the BTR trunions in a daily driver with a mild cam motion cam, btr duals, with TI retainers...

Should I be swapping these out ASAP for the bushings? Motor has been running fine, but this thread has made me worry. Can the BTR bolts be used with these bushings?

I'm confident you'll be fine. Do not switch
Old 05-29-2016, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting that Tooley has taken off the trunions from his site and put these bushings instead. If he isn't confident, than I'm not either.

Wish I just stayed with the stock rocker arms.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Great product so far.

No squeal at start up using assembly lube.

I pulled the comp trunions apart and found higher wear than expected for having less than 1,000 miles.

This one looked ok no real damage. About half looked like this.

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-henytdf.jpg

The other half with damage almost this bad.

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-t4mj32r.jpg

The motor is less noisy. Still a bit tickey but better.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is there any correlation of the bad ones to I/E or bank 1/2 or front/rear...?

Originally Posted by osburn383
Great product so far.

No squeal at start up using assembly lube.

I pulled the comp trunions apart and found higher wear than expected for having less than 1,000 miles.

This one looked ok no real damage. About half looked like this.

The other half with damage almost this bad.

The motor is less noisy. Still a bit tickey but better.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will these work with ARP Rocker studs? If so I will get some ordered.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

if the ARP rocker studs work with oem rockers then there's no reason they wouldn't. These use the oem bolts.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was gonna order the kit without bolts, I currently use the ARP Rocker studs and I heard an earlier version didn't fit and the new version fits different bolt types. I will get this kit ordered tonight.

Quick Reply: Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?