Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was asked this question and was going to email the member but I thought I better post it.

We based the bushing on a housing bore of .8125" and a press of .001 to .0015". We have had few customers tell us that the LS7 bore can run .0005 to .0007" smaller and they have had to hone it.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FRiCK
So the oem ls7 bolts can't be used? Or do I have to trim the bolts I got with my kit?
OEM bolts, Studs, or Aftermarket bolts can be used.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my bushings yesterday. New design
Old 03-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently running the BTR kit in a 5.3 thats in a Jet boat.

After stumbling across this thread, im very worried about mine.

I will say, my valve train is damn near silent, i do not hear a single thing.

I run 20w50 oil. I wonder if thats helping at all?

I might have to pull one off and check it out
Old 03-18-2016, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious to this as well and would like to see some accelerated test results.

BTR trunions were installed around 800 miles ago.

Curious to see what Brian has to say about this.

Not trying to stir a nest of yellow jackets

From years of experience using bronze in the power transmission industry, I've seen some bad deterioration with bronze over years in heavy service factor applications.

Bronze is not compatible with sulfur and other detergents that may/may not be present in modern motor oils.

Concerned at the lack of testing data provided.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brobinson216
I'm curious to this as well and would like to see some accelerated test results.

BTR trunions were installed around 800 miles ago.

Curious to see what Brian has to say about this.

Not trying to stir a nest of yellow jackets

From years of experience using bronze in the power transmission industry, I've seen some bad deterioration with bronze over years in heavy service factor applications.

Bronze is not compatible with sulfur and other detergents that may/may not be present in modern motor oils.

BTR is carrying the Bushing Trunnion kits. We have not re-invented the wheel here. Crane shaft rockers ran a bronze bushing with great success. I will get an update on miles on the bushing kits from HBR on the driving experience cars at LVMS.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Just ordered my set =) never had an issue with stock but its cheap insurance.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

The only thing I noticed while installing my set with the original bolts was that the bolt head were very slightly catching the body of the trunion. I had to back them out and a very small amount of the chrome plating filed off and then tighten them down all the way.After that all was well.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I can't tell if this is in stock... Is this in stock?

Last edited by JakeFusion; 04-05-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Bronze is used to bush conrods that see 1,000 times the loads that these ever will, already, in these engines.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Bronze is used to bush conrods that see 1,000 times the loads that these ever will, already, in these engines.
Fully understand that aspect. Can you provide the accelerated test data I requested?

Where is the weak link on the stock LS rotating assembly?

As an FYI, I did purchase a set to install on my LQ9 EXT. Pending those results the LS2 in one of my Corvette's will follow. So I'm not bashing, rather doing what my background has taught me. Give me data to support changes with verification rather than smoke and mirror's marketing.

Last edited by brobinson216; 04-05-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fully understand that aspect. Can you provide the accelerated test data I requested?

Where is the weak link on the stock LS rotating assembly?

As an FYI, I did purchase a set to install on my LQ9 EXT. Pending those results the LS2 in one of my Corvette's will follow. So I'm not bashing, rather doing what my background has taught me. Give me data to support changes with verification rather than smoke and mirror's marketing.
We are born without, but we die with it......reputation. My reputation in this industry is one of integrity and no BS. I don't have the customers I do because of BS.

R&D started on this thing last summer. Crane's shaft rockers were bushed along withe other OEM applications. We had seen the wear that is happening and knew we could improve the part....hell that's the fun...making it better.

My marketing budget is around $5K a year. So I don't spend a lot on marketing....I do give the tech and make the parts that makes the reputation.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cstraub
We are born without, but we die with it......reputation. My reputation in this industry is one of integrity and no BS. I don't have the customers I do because of BS.

R&D started on this thing last summer. Crane's shaft rockers were bushed along withe other OEM applications. We had seen the wear that is happening and knew we could improve the part....hell that's the fun...making it better.

My marketing budget is around $5K a year. So I don't spend a lot on marketing....I do give the tech and make the parts that makes the reputation.
Chris,

I certainly appreciate what your doing, and would never question your ability or integrity period.

I'm asking for data to support the statements about the load capacities as well as oil additive compatability with the impregnated bronze that is being used.

Had someone of asked for this same type of data when comp released the trunion upgrade kit...your marketing budget would be mute at this point.

Shame on me for asking for such difficult PFEMA data.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Chris,

I certainly appreciate what your doing, and would never question your ability or integrity period.

I'm asking for data to support the statements about the load capacities as well as oil additive compatability with the impregnated bronze that is being used.

Had someone of asked for this same type of data when comp released the trunion upgrade kit...your marketing budget would be mute at this point.

Shame on me for asking for such difficult PFEMA data.
The problem with supplying the data your asking for is that it is then used to get the product duplicated quicker. I know for a fact that 2 companies have already ordered the kits from customers of mine for the intent of "R&D". It's inevitable that it will happen, but hell I'd like to have a year or so under my belt.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The problem with supplying the data your asking for is that it is then used to get the product duplicated quicker. I know for a fact that 2 companies have already ordered the kits from customers of mine for the intent of "R&D". It's inevitable that it will happen, but hell I'd like to have a year or so under my belt.
This is why your product must continue to evolve and get better and better. Better oiling, heavy duty c-clips, tougher alloys, etc., etc.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Didn't CHE Precision come out with bushed rockers some time ago? I see posts dating back to 2009 for this conversion. The price is a lot more, but they do all the work.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
I agree, I thought I would have a little longer.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joyridin'
Didn't CHE Precision come out with bushed rockers some time ago? I see posts dating back to 2009 for this conversion. The price is a lot more, but they do all the work.
Claude's company does very nice work. He even came by the PRI show to say hi and look at the kit.

Bushings for rockers are not new. OEM's have done it and aftermarket mfg have done it for decades. I can sit here and type with a clear conscience that I didn't order a CHE and R&D it....Rip off and Duplicate. Actually I didn't even know CHE offered it until someone sent me a link. Did I know Crane used bushings with their shaft rockers....Yes. Did I work for Omega Gear and the Owner Rick Herrick showed me some bushing stud mount rockers that he made in the 80's.....yes.

We have started to put core rockers together with the bushings installed.

Last edited by Cstraub; 04-07-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Teching In

I just ordered a set.. cheap insurance if you ask me... Chris thank you for making such a nice product at an affordable price.

Quick Reply: Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?