Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Speed or Brian Tooley cam's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't posted in this thread because I didn't know if I could convey the information that I want without throwing others under the bus or starting a war, which I have zero interest in. However I feel it's important to say a few things based on what I've learned in the last 6 months.

I believe in doing one thing and doing it well, all at the same time realizing my own short coming and lack of resources. I felt the only way I could possibly provide the best cam packages is by testing. First on the dyno, then on the Spintron, and finally by doing the quality control checks. I of course test the parts that I sell, as well as my competitors parts.

Something that a customer or consumer must realize is that having a infinite amount of resources makes the difference. Consider the vast resources of Comp Cams or Cam Motion, they've both been doing this cam thing for a long time, for 20 years or more. Now if both of those companies can have quality issues, after grinding cams as long as some of you have been alive, what's the chances of the new guy on the block having quality issues?

We have been fortunate enough to team up with some VERY good camshaft consultants, who have the proper equipment to not only Spintron test our setups, but also scrutinize our current camshaft offerings. We were shocked at what we found during this QC testing, and not shocked in a good way.

We're making strides to offer the highest quality camshafts we can, that rival anything currently offered, so stay tuned, it's about to get good.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
I'm proud to have you in the industry Martin your a great guy!

I think manufacturers need to show some pictures of the manufacturing equipment used to produce these parts. I for one am very proud of the landis camshaft grinding setup @ TSP. I'm also very proud of the true camshaft inspection equipment used @ Tsp. Nobody can argue the quality of a landis camshaft grinder.

there is a very limited amount of polishing done at tsp as it has to be kept to a minimum to keep the camshafts profile as designed. Over polished camshafts will cause deviation from design data. This can be seen in a ultra accurate camshaft measuring machine such as a adcole inspection machine.

My inspection equipment is open to anyone who would like to inspect a camshaft they have. It's a excellent instrument for comparing grinding consistency as well as angle repeatability.

Needless to say the Ls camshaft world is at a very good place. The winner is the consumer as development, engine dyno testing, and spintron testing continues!
Jason,

I'm very thankful to have such great suppliers such as TSP for parts that SRD needs to ensure SRD's customers get the best parts at the best prices and as quickly as possible. I have thoroughly enjoyed the business that we have been doing lately and I thank you all at TSP for including me as one of your parts dealers.

I really appreciate the kind words man!

I also think it is quite incredible the amount of respect shown in this thread. TSP, BTR, SRD, EPS, Cam Motion, Pat G etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on for who you can count on getting a quality product from. I am proud to have the names in this thread as colleagues of mine.

I felt the same as Brian in that the last thing I wanted my post to convey was throwing anyone under the bus or starting a food fight. Again the respect shown by these great companies shows the consumer that they can rely on any number of camshaft retailers or manufacturers for a quality product and people who have respect and morals when it comes to conducting business.

Last edited by Martin Smallwood; 02-17-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

100% agreed Martin! Internet "food fights" do nothing but create issues and blur the facts, and it's important that everyone realize it's great to have so many choices in the LS cam market. There's plenty to go around for everyone, and it's incredibly nice to see the mutual respect given from one another.

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Something that a customer or consumer must realize is that having a infinite amount of resources makes the difference. Consider the vast resources of Comp Cams or Cam Motion, they've both been doing this cam thing for a long time, for 20 years or more. Now if both of those companies can have quality issues, after grinding cams as long as some of you have been alive, what's the chances of the new guy on the block having quality issues?
With all of the mutual respect said, it's a shot in the dark to instill doubt in our product and to expect us to have problems with our cams given the issues of other manufacturers over the years. That would be like saying don't buy a set of Nitto tires because Firestone had failures with their tires on the Ford Explorer years ago. I'm not saying that we will NEVER have an issue, but we do have strict processes and QC checks in place for every cam ground at our facility so that if a problem does arise we catch it before it goes out the door. I cannot speak for the processes of other manufacturers. I can only speak for what we do at TSP. We use the best cam cores on the market from suppliers like Callies, we use the best inspection equipment to check every camshaft, we burn test and polish every cam, we guarantee the accuracy of every cam within 1/4 of a degree...the list goes on. Burn testing every cam alleviates the possibility of peeling issues, and polishing every cam avoids the "whistling" that some have experienced.

I don't think it's necessary to discredit another business in hopes of making a sale. There is such a thing as friendly competition.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance

Last edited by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.; 02-17-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A picture is worth a thousands words sometimes....

I don't need to make a sale in this thread. I can only wish that consumers knew everything that they needed to know about what is good and what is bad in the market place.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Are you claiming that this cam is ours that was ground in-house? I'll provide you with a pic in return of one of our cams that I just pulled off the shelf to show the finish. If this is our cam, can you please post a picture of the back of the cam to show what's ground on the back?

I'm not sure why you are so determined to turn this into an argument Brian. I feel that it's been a professional discussion up to this point. I wish consumers could see the good and the bad as well, not only in products but also intention.

Name:  DSC_0021_zpsbntemoj9.jpg
Views: 19633
Size:  187.5 KB
Old 02-17-2016, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I'd also like to mention, in case you missed it in my original post, that we offer a two year warranty on all of our camshafts. We have taken ZERO back for any quality control issues in the last year that we took the grinding in-house. We have ground thousands of camshafts to this point without a single issue. If the cam you show a picture of is supposedly ours, why did we not hear from this customer?

Old 02-17-2016, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed literally 100's of cams and have ran grinds from pretty much every one out there. I used to post all the time with dyno data from my different cam tests. Thru all of those tests, all of those vendors, and all of those cams.. I have 2 things that I'll always remember.
1. The only "bad core" cams I ever experienced were cams ground by comp that the lobes literally came apart on.
2. There isn't a company that takes ownership of their products the way Texas Speed does.

For example, I buy a Comp or CM cam from a vendor. That cam comes apart on me, I go back to said vendor and see if they can help me out on it. That vendor is going to tell you to deal with Comp or CM, they only sold you the cam, they didn't make it.

NOW, Texas Speed has "raised the bar" by not only selling you a camshaft, they are THE MANUFACTURER... the buck stops with them. Heck, they are even giving a 2 year warranty on their cams.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

[QUOTE=Brian Tooley;19151860]I haven't posted in this thread because I didn't know if I could convey the information that I want without throwing others under the bus or starting a war, which I have zero interest in.

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Coming from the guy who Comp no longer buys from, but TSP does, there might be some bias in this statement... lol
Really??? I state I prefer buying from a manufacture and you attack me, that's OK though.

I'll be the bigger man here and not threaten you with a lawsuit for speaking truth.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gomer
2. There isn't a company that takes ownership of their products the way Texas Speed does.
This is very true. I've spent well over $15k with texas speed over the past 5 years, and while I've had some small issues with some of their products, they have gone out of their way to make it right every time. Great cust. service and a huge fan of the power their heads make for the $.

Last edited by DietCoke; 02-17-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

The evidence of the issues with Comp Cams stuff a few years ago helped push the industry forward. Now, we have more options available to the mainstream enthusiast from Cam Motion, Bullet, TSP, and Lunati.

Cam Motion and Lunati have been around a while producing for the LS platform, but only a few vendors used them. Progress helps us all.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-16-2024)
Old 06-11-2020, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 462 Likes on 359 Posts

I love it how Brian Tooley attacks the competition. Lol
It's a common theme.
The posts start of professional and then they escalate from there.
Thanks for the entertainment and facts Brian!

Abs (06-16-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Texas Speed

I just put there newest L cam in my ZL1 1LE track car and this is my 3rd cam from them. Either cam from any of the 2 will be great but I use Texas Speed as the customer experiance is awsome, They always treat me like I am the only customer they have but BT has also been good.
Its just what feels right to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jabercrombie:
G Atsma (06-16-2024), Ghosty (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 12:29 AM
Abs
Staging Lane

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am glad this thread exists. It's a bad look for a certain vendor.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,071 Likes on 2,390 Posts

Originally Posted by Abs
I am glad this thread exists. It's a bad look for a certain vendor.
Keep in mind, this thread is over 8 years old. A lot of water under the bridge since then....
Old 06-16-2024, 12:50 AM
Abs
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Keep in mind, this thread is over 8 years old. A lot of water under the bridge since then....
understood. Still good to see how people were operating back then
G Atsma (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 540 Likes on 429 Posts

I've had nothing but 100% positive dealings with BTR and exclusively run their valvetrain components and cams. There's a reason they've grown so much since this thread was started. A quick Google search with "________ camshaft failures" tells you everything you need to know, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS1Formulation:
Finkledbody (06-16-2024), G Atsma (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,071 Likes on 2,390 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
I love it how Brian Tooley attacks the competition. Lol
It's a common theme.
The posts start of professional and then they escalate from there.
Thanks for the entertainment and facts Brian!
I just read Tooley's post. He didn't "attack the competition", just clarified a few points about them.
Old 06-16-2024, 10:43 AM
Abs
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I've had nothing but 100% positive dealings with BTR and exclusively run their valvetrain components and cams. There's a reason they've grown so much since this thread was started. A quick Google search with "________ camshaft failures" tells you everything you need to know, IMO.
I dont see anything about Texas speed cam failures but I know Comp was known for that during a certain time period.
G Atsma (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 540 Likes on 429 Posts

I wasn't inferring any specific company's name in my post, which is why I left it blank. I won't personally call out a company unless they directly sell me a defective product and refuse to stand behind said product. So far, I am lucky enough to have never had a failure that warrants a customer service call. My whole point is, thoroughly research anything you purchase before pulling the trigger, especially if the part in question could take out many thousands of dollars in engine components if it fails.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS1Formulation:
01CamaroSSTx (06-16-2024), G Atsma (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,338 Posts

What BTR posted gave no indication that it was TSP's camshaft and he wasn't going to elaborate any further on his initial comment. End of story! That being said there are many reputable companies out there that make camshafts and as an automotive enthusiast I'm just thankful to have these companies in business when I'm in need of something because I've purchased products from most of them at one time or another.
The following 2 users liked this post by 01CamaroSSTx:
Finkledbody (06-16-2024), LS1Formulation (06-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Texas Speed or Brian Tooley cam's?