Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a 5.3/5.7 for boost, have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016 | 05:19 AM
Teching In

Default Building a 5.3/5.7 for boost, have some questions.

I recently picked up a 5.3 a couple weeks ago that had around 78-79k on it. I want to build it for boost. After researching I was told that I should bore it to a 5.7 since there are many more Pistons for it. I am looking for a set of forged rods and Pistons that will handle 600-800whp. I would like to see what good options there are for as cheap as possible lol but I'd say my budged for the Piston/rod combo is around ~1300 I'll probably be on the lower power tune setting for 98% of the time but I'd like it to be able to handle the boost when I crank it up. The engine was a snip and pull deal. So the harness isn't complete with no computer. I also would like to know what would be the best computer/stand alone harness for my boosted setup. I'll probably have the motor apart completely by next weekend so I'd want to have everything ready for my motor guy.
Old 02-04-2016 | 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Depending on what year the engine is that you have, the stock bottom end (SBE) might be fine for your power goals. Earlier gen III rods are questionable at the upper power levels you're looking to make. The factory pistons are no weakling either. Long story short, if it has the fatter rods and floating pins, you're set. Disassemble, CLEAN, possibly open up the ring gaps and reassemble. I wouldn't bore it unless a cylinder is damaged. No need and you're just thinning out the cylinder walls. Note; the cam bearings might look like they're worn beyond further service, GM lines hones the cam bearings after installing them to ensure they're true. Good chance they're fine even though they might not look like it. Lots on the forums about doing exactly what you want and you might be surprised at how little you'll have to change. As far as and ecu and harness, I'm familiar with the Holley setup. Great system, easy to use and the capabilities are endless. I'm sure others will chime in and this is all just my opinion.
Old 02-04-2016 | 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3 window
Depending on what year the engine is that you have, the stock bottom end (SBE) might be fine for your power goals. Earlier gen III rods are questionable at the upper power levels you're looking to make. The factory pistons are no weakling either. Long story short, if it has the fatter rods and floating pins, you're set. Disassemble, CLEAN, possibly open up the ring gaps and reassemble. I wouldn't bore it unless a cylinder is damaged. No need and you're just thinning out the cylinder walls. Note; the cam bearings might look like they're worn beyond further service, GM lines hones the cam bearings after installing them to ensure they're true. Good chance they're fine even though they might not look like it. Lots on the forums about doing exactly what you want and you might be surprised at how little you'll have to change. As far as and ecu and harness, I'm familiar with the Holley setup. Great system, easy to use and the capabilities are endless. I'm sure others will chime in and this is all just my opinion.
The motor came out of a 2000 Silverado so I'm assuming it is the Gen 3. Either way my luck isn't too good even if it is the beefier SBE. I rather upgrade everything since it is all apart anyway you know? This car is going to be a street car so I'd like to know I can go on little road trip here and there and that my block will hold up.
Old 02-04-2016 | 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

I've had my runs if bad luck in the last as well, so I know where you're coming from. Keep in mind, your not going to go on your road trip using 700rwhp. Also, stock stuff has run in excess of 250,00 miles. Granted this was in a stock configuration, but still says something for the engineering that went into the design of these engines. I get you want the reliability and th ab
Old 02-04-2016 | 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

I've had my runs of bad luck in the last as well, so I know where you're coming from. Keep in mind, your not going to go on your road trip using 700rwhp. Also, stock stuff has run in excess of 250,00 miles. Granted this was in a stock configuration, but still says something for the engineering that went into the design of these engines. I get you want the reliability and the ability to be able to stand on it, but anything can break not matter what parts are inside it.
Old 02-04-2016 | 11:21 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by makeyourowndestiny
I recently picked up a 5.3 a couple weeks ago that had around 78-79k on it. I want to build it for boost. After researching I was told that I should bore it to a 5.7 since there are many more Pistons for it. I am looking for a set of forged rods and Pistons that will handle 600-800whp. I would like to see what good options there are for as cheap as possible lol but I'd say my budged for the Piston/rod combo is around ~1300 I'll probably be on the lower power tune setting for 98% of the time but I'd like it to be able to handle the boost when I crank it up. The engine was a snip and pull deal. So the harness isn't complete with no computer. I also would like to know what would be the best computer/stand alone harness for my boosted setup. I'll probably have the motor apart completely by next weekend so I'd want to have everything ready for my motor guy.
Check out my build thread for my turbo build in my sig.

I pretty much did the same thing your trying to do..

Quick Reply: Building a 5.3/5.7 for boost, have some questions.