Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tight Main Bearing Clearances (Nitrous)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight Main Bearing Clearances (Nitrous)

Hi All,

I am having trouble getting anything above .002 on the main. I am looking closer to .0015.

I have tried Clevite standard and .001 added clearance bearings and I am still not getting close. The .001 added clearance (MS-2199H-1) didn't add much if any extra clearance.

I am hearing the Federal Mogul bearings run a bit looser, can anyone confirm this?

Also, I am shooting for .0020-.0025 clearance

C5 Corvette:
383 Lunati stroker
PRC Stage 2.5 ported 243 heads
11.5:1 CR
Nitrous

Cylinders are honed for nitrous
Rings are gapped for nitrous

Thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by About2Bite
Hi All,

I am having trouble getting anything above .002 on the main. I am looking closer to .0015.

I have tried Clevite standard and .001 added clearance bearings and I am still not getting close. The .001 added clearance (MS-2199H-1) didn't add much if any extra clearance.

I am hearing the Federal Mogul bearings run a bit looser, can anyone confirm this?

Also, I am shooting for .0020-.0025 clearance

C5 Corvette:
383 Lunati stroker
PRC Stage 2.5 ported 243 heads
11.5:1 CR
Nitrous

Cylinders are honed for nitrous
Rings are gapped for nitrous

Thanks
Aluminum or iron block?

MS-2199H-1 bearings are actually undersize bearings for tightening the clearance.

I don't like Clevite Mains for LS engines, they had a lot of trouble with the thrust shells at first and they were always a half thou tight. I use ACL for LS and Ford Mod motors. 2199HX is the number you need and in order to hit that .002" number for an aluminum block you'll need to mix standard and HX shells, if it's an iron block use the whole HX set and hit .0025" main clearance.

What is your measuring method?

Cylinders are honed to match the ring pack type regardless of whether you're using nitrous or not.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.002 for alum block for sure. just make sure the engine and oil have some temp before running it hard.

Tim
Old 02-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Aluminum block

The cylinders were honed with an additional .0003-.0005 clearance for a nitrous application at the request of Wiseco.

The part number for the looser clearance bearings was given to me by a couple reputable vendors on here so I went with it, I did some research and it seemed to match. Although I am not seeing any additional clearance with this set. I questioned it also and was assured they were the correct bearings.

I never get on it hard prior to the oil reaching around 200*F

All the clearances and the tolerances of these clearances I have received from vendors.

I appreciate the info on the bearings and the part numbers. I have these two sets of Clevite bearings I've already bought. I really hope I am able to exchange these for a set that will work for my application without an issue.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't even gotten to the rod bearings yet. I have a set of the Clevite CB-663HN rod bearings.

Does anyone see me running into the same clearance issues here?
Lunati Rods and crank.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 04:36 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Aluminum block

The cylinders were honed with an additional .0003-.0005 clearance for a nitrous application at the request of Wiseco.
What he was saying is that different rings often require different hone jobs. A steel ring (like a Hellfire) may require a different hone process than a rebuilder type moly ring.

The part number for the looser clearance bearings was given to me by a couple reputable vendors on here so I went with it, I did some research and it seemed to match. Although I am not seeing any additional clearance with this set. I questioned it also and was assured they were the correct bearings.

I never get on it hard prior to the oil reaching around 200*F

All the clearances and the tolerances of these clearances I have received from vendors.

I appreciate the info on the bearings and the part numbers. I have these two sets of Clevite bearings I've already bought. I really hope I am able to exchange these for a set that will work for my application without an issue.
The part number with a -1 at the end gives you less clearance. There's no argument there. Whomever told you otherwise was mistaken. The fact that it did not change your clearance indicates that whatever method you're using to measure is not very precise.

Before buying another set of bearings, how are you measuring clearances? What are you measuring with?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Well that's aggravating.

I used plastigage to measure my clearance

With my original (Standard) Cletive bearing set I was getting a clearance reading of .0017-.002

This time around (-1 beaings) I was getting a reading of .0015 max. some even a bit less it seemed. I thought I did something wrong so I checked a second time and got the same. I thought it was odd so that's why I'm here.

So my results are reflective of this being a tighter clearance bearing set.

After receiving the order receipt I even sent an email to the vendor to confirm the bearings sent would give me additional clearance. He responded with:
"Yeah these are the correct ones. The description is a bit confusing, but these will give you .001" additional clearance."

So does Clevite have a +1 bearing?

I really hope they will take all these bearings back.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:09 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Like machinistone said, 2199X is what you want. The X always denotes .001" more clearance.

Usually they won't accept the bearings if they've been opened, however, if you have it in writing that the vendor told you the -1 would give you more clearance, then the vendor may take them back in principle for giving you bad information.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Oh ok yes I saw that. I'll mix the HX set with my original Clevite bearings as machinistone mentioned and should be able to dial in the clearance right where I want it.

I appreciate the info.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Should I be concerned about having clearance issues with the CB-663HN Clevite rod bearings?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Banned

If you mix the STD and HX shells you'll be good to go, and you can at least take comfort in knowing that your plastigauge testing showed the tightening of the main bearing clearance even if it wasn't as much as it should have shown. A dial bore gauge is really the only tool to measure to significant digits less than .001"

For the rods you may need to run HX on both shells as I like to add a little bit of clearance for nitrous applications. I typically hone the rods perfectly to a few tenths over the low spec (2.2250") and run the crank on the low end of the spec with standard bearings to hit .0022" clearance which is how we run our road race motors. For nitrous I like to see .0024-.0027 or so, and run a little thicker oil for more load carrying capacity under the pressure spike seen when you hit the button.

Hopefully the vendor will take your bearings back because they misinformed you, no offense to some of the vendors on here, but I'm sure many are just selling parts and have never actually been a professional engine builder. HX is extra clearance, H-1 is tighter clearance....that's industry standard and not in question.

Last edited by machinistone; 02-07-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Appreciate the info. I just rechecked them with the HX bearings and I'm at about 2.0-2.3 thou clearance. Now I'm on the the rod bearings hoping to have better luck.

The company said they would take the old ones back since they made the mistake.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Well my rod bearings are giving me the same issue. Measuring in at .0016 ish

So now I need eight of these
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cle-cb663hxn

My card from Lunati is giving me a torque range of 65-75. Arp 2000 bolts with Lunati 4340 rods. Using arp thread lube
Old 02-22-2016, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd split the range and go 70 on the rod torque. Using the ARP Lube on the threads but EPL(Extreme Pressure Lubricant) under the bolt head
Pull them up in two stages. First 50 then 70

Quick Reply: Tight Main Bearing Clearances (Nitrous)