Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably a stupid question but....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a stupid question but....?

I've got a 99 Z28 and I'm putting 468.3 to the wheels N/A at Colorado Springs altitude. Is it normal for a high-output LS1 like this to slowly 'eat' oil? My low oil indicator light came on today and I am not leaking anywhere so it must be eating it slowly. I am coming up on 3,000 miles since my last change, but I've done a few changes (all at 3,000 mile intervals) and haven't ever run low before this.

Thanks for any help
Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

I've heard of a lot of guys doing catch cans when making over something like 450 hp. I am personally going to do that very soon.

How many miles are on the engine?
Old 03-04-2016, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PCV on LS is dirty, dirty. I run a catch can on everything LS. Start there and see how much oil ends up in that. The rest is likely a mix of valve seals/guides, rings, etc.

How "low" is an F-body when the indicator comes on?
Old 03-04-2016, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine have all used some, but that's usually a quart or a little more in 3000 miles. I don't know how low it has to be to set off the light but if it's 2 qts or more I would be a little concerned and keep a close eye on it.

One thing to be aware of if some brands of filters hold more oil than others, so be sure to check the level on the stick after a change and don't just assume 5.5qts will fill it.

I always run 6 qts per oil change anyway just to be safe.

A catch can won't really help as far as keeping oil in the engine, but it will help in keeping it out of the intake manifold, intake runners, and combustion chambers. It will be trapping "lost" oil which should be disposed of, do not dump it back into the engine.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, please do not re-use the oil in the catch can. Let's call it more of a catch and release can.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

I will be doing an oil change tomorrow and I will be changing my plugs also just so I can see if anything is getting into the combustion chambers. I have no idea how low it has to be to turn set off the light, but I turned the car off and haven't had a free second to even check the dipstick. I will post more info when I get under it tomorrow
Old 03-05-2016, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When you get underneath the car, look at where the low oil level switch is located in relation to the bottom of the pan (on opposite side from drain plug).

It is best to check oil level at each/every gas fill (not just to check level, but to observe condition of oil).
Old 03-06-2016, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

If changing the oil anyway, note how much comes out..F-bodies are getting up there in age and you could possibly have a sensor that is misbehaving. And I agree with what was said above about filters holding differing amounts..do you fill with a certain quantity, or to a certain level on the dipstick? I think to truly have a controlled experiment, change the oil, warm the vehicle up(basically filling the filter), let it sit and all oil drain into the pan for an hour or so and then fill according to the dipstick. Then you know you have a "full" engine. You could be tossing x.x quarts in there and actually be "low" from the start.

Less likely, but oil can push into the cooling system..though usually you will see evidence of the opposite.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Teching In

You could empty the Engine of oil and then check the resistance in the sensor with a Ohm meter and see if is open or closed. Then fill your car and check it again. See if the sensor is acting up. If the sensor is open when empty and closed when full it is working properly. If it is working do a compression test and see if the your rings, valve seals, etc. are working properly. You can also pull the oil fill cap off run it and see how much blow by you have.

Just my .02
Old 03-10-2016, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

I haven't been able to change the oil yet as life got very hectic, but I did have a few spare seconds to check the dipstick. the oil was well below the operating range. This tells me the sensor was working, but that my engine is eating 2+ qts within 3,000 miles. I have clean exhaust and the engine only has 12,000 or so miles on it. any ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oil is getting sucked from the rear of the valve covers into the intake manifold.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joecar
Oil is getting sucked from the rear of the valve covers into the intake manifold.
Wouldn't this show signs? I imagine I would see oil on the intake
Old 03-12-2016, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by shadowfirep
Wouldn't this show signs? I imagine I would see oil on the intake
Yes you would... you will see it pool on the floor of the intake manifold.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

So I have pulled all but the rear passenger spark plug. They all look the same except the third plug back on the pass side which is darker. I've attached photos. Could this discoloration be caused by oil in that chamber?

Pass side third back

'Good' plug from another cylinder
Old 03-13-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

First plug looks like it's not running hot enough to burn off the carbon from the ceramic...
Old 03-13-2016, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joecar
First plug looks like it's not running hot enough to burn off the carbon from the ceramic...
What can cause a single plug to run colder than the others? Weak spark maybe?
Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

That, plug wire, plug itself, gap..injector could be a little leaky giving more fuel at idle or dumping when off. But in my experience, usually a significant amount of oil in there will actually be oily on the plug, if that makes sense...like foul the plug and not just look rich/carboned up.

Free and quick, swap the coil and wire from another cylinder, swap that plug to yet third unrelated cylinder. Run it, and see what you end up with. I think this is unrelated to your oil consumption but I can't say for sure. I still think your PCV is probably most likely the culprit.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Im beginning to wonder if I did not put enough oil in during my last change and .25-.5qt of oil were taken through the PCV. That would explain the 2+Qts low
Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

It's not only the simplest answer, but conveniently the cheapest answer also.

Only 3000 miles to find out! At least you know your level sensor is working.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:00 AM

I run a catch can on everything LS.

Quick Reply: Probably a stupid question but....?