Why did I come up short?? 487hp is not 500+

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 220 Likes on 131 Posts

juniorSSrollin
Strongly Recomend using the V-Max Velocity Ring when using
90/92 MM TB with FAST 102 Intake. Much easier to tune and
Much better Driveability low speed response.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP, it looks like you've done an admirable job covering almost all of your bases. Many have touched on the 1-7/8" headers, and running cats at this level will also cost you a few HP.

I never saw what the actual chamber size or compression is at the present. If you do decide to pull the heads to try a thinner gasket, please - PLEASE, do yourself a favor and at least check the chamber size. You spent big money and not a little time on the correct lifters and rockers to do this right. Compression is your friend, 11.5:1 or even a touch more will make things right in the world. It will probably gain you more on the bottom end than the top, important if you are road racing the car.

Spend a little more time degreeing the cam if need be, then measuring PTV and fly cutting. It will most likely get you to your goal, possibly without selling your existing headers.

Still, great numbers for what you have - nothing to be ashamed of!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hammertime
To the OP, it looks like you've done an admirable job covering almost all of your bases. Many have touched on the 1-7/8" headers, and running cats at this level will also cost you a few HP.

I never saw what the actual chamber size or compression is at the present. If you do decide to pull the heads to try a thinner gasket, please - PLEASE, do yourself a favor and at least check the chamber size. You spent big money and not a little time on the correct lifters and rockers to do this right. Compression is your friend, 11.5:1 or even a touch more will make things right in the world. It will probably gain you more on the bottom end than the top, important if you are road racing the car.

Spend a little more time degreeing the cam if need be, then measuring PTV and fly cutting. It will most likely get you to your goal, possibly without selling your existing headers.

Still, great numbers for what you have - nothing to be ashamed of!
Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Definitely covered my bases I feel like - I didnt mention a lot of what I did because I was typing on my phone haha

Headers were 1-7/8 because LG said they wouldnt pickup anything on top - but I would likely give up power down low. (talked to Anthony)

I did it on stock compression (one of the goals - but I might change that later this summer just with thinner HG's). Chambers are 100% stock CC's (all I did was shine them up and de-burr for detonation and carbon reduction).

Cam was degree-ed and is dead nuts on - took a few days to check, double check, triple check, etc to make sure its perfect.

Like I said - higher compression will likely come this summer (same heads just gaskets) and then maybe a OE rocker with trunion upgrade swap while on the dyno to see what happens. After I prove this can be done motor will likely come out and go to a forged 7500 rpm 383 unless I can pull together a deal on a C6Z I found.

Just trying to prove people wrong and raise some eyebrows - random dude from podunk-nowhere is trying make a name for himself! haha
Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Update:

Car is stupid fun and clutch is BUTTER smooth. so easy to slip/'ease' into I would drive it onto the trailer.

3000+ and the car is on par witha C7Z (only acceleration), right until you come to a stop sign. the car surges/hunts between 500-2100 rpm untli you stop and then it settles down to 800, then 1300, then idle around 1000 like its no big deal. Getting to idle is interesting though. I'm done taking the car to a tuner and will DIY it from here. Everyone says its not rocket science...that I know so I will be the judge if its harder or not.

Borrowed a laptop and HPT from a friend and will likely start data logging today/tomorrow time permitting.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
juniorSSrollin
Strongly Recomend using the V-Max Velocity Ring when using
90/92 MM TB with FAST 102 Intake. Much easier to tune and
Much better Driveability low speed response.
When you do, the bottom of the ring will need to be machined a lot to fit over the water pump (yes I shaved my WP down a lot to - about as much as I felt safe) - after 2x of trim and test, I put the TB on the plate, scribed a line around the entire bottom of the TB then milled off all the excess. Fits great - but I cut off about $10 of material... so stupid how that ring is $90... but I guess I had the choice to buy it or not.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Sounds like an incredibly nice combination. I hope your new throttle body clears up a lot of your issues.

I think everything has been covered with the electric water pump, thinner head gasket (and flycutting the pistons, if necessary), and most importantly the bigger 1.875" headers.

The thinner head gasket may be beneficial twofold by raising compression and optimizing quench... might get another degree or two on the timing, which could make all the difference you're looking for.

Fantastic combination, nonetheless. Keep us posted.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nskyline34
do you know off the top of your head how much CR increase .010" is? I can do the math - just wondering if you knew off hand
Sorry for delayed reply. Haven't been back to this thread in a while. .010" thinner gasket would yield an 0.3-0.4" SCR bump. Depends on what the actual stock gasket squish was. Although, the spe'd. thickness is .051", have seen up to .054" compressed.

Update:
I'm done taking the car to a tuner and will DIY it from here. Everyone says its not rocket science...that I know so I will be the judge if its harder or not.
Borrowed a laptop and HPT from a friend and will likely start data logging today/tomorrow time permitting.
It's not rocket science, but is a fairly steep learning curve. Just be careful & use the HPT forum & tuning forum here for assistance.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Haven't forgot about the thread - the past 3 weeks have been hell - but the car is on the trailer and we are headed down to the Mojave mile (somewhere in NorCal right now)

Overall update:

90mm LS2 TB fixed the REP issues

The other stalling/sputtering/surging issues were all fixed by tuning.

Thanks to a seriously generous member off of here we got my car 95% perfext via texting and phone calls.

Was taught and taught myself tuning basics in 2 weeks. Many 1-2am nights on top of 60 HR work weeks, 623mi tuning and 68 tunes later it runs like a bat outta hell - and purrs like a kitten at a stoplight and will lug 6th gear down the road 50mph @ 1100rpm. Who says a big can can't be street friendly?

I'll report back later on the cars performance on the runway. Hoping to crack 180 in the mile this time out, October will be everything the motor will give me. Going to pull it apart later this summer and get it to 500hp - still determined to prove it can be done on a REASONABLE budget with proper street manners. Very close to being there and there is a lot left that I can do for cheap...

More to come later
Old 04-08-2016, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Headers were 1-7/8 because LG said they wouldnt pickup anything on top - but I would likely give up power down low. (talked to Anthony)
I'm confused...the original post says you have 1 3/4...the post above says you have 1 7/8.

and I call bullshit on the 1 7/8 not gaining anything up to while losing on the bottom. in my experience, you will gain more on bottom than top, but ultimately gain everywhere.

this dyno is from a stock bottom LS1. I swapped from 1 3/4 pacesetters with ory and 3" single exhaust with a cutout to a 1 7/8 stepped to 2" kook header with dual 3" exhaust and bullets. how is this for bottom end loss?

Name:  45174b69.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  16367f79.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  69.8 KB
Name:  dec23f5b.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  68.9 KB
Old 04-11-2016, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Default April 2016 - Mojave Mile

Car hauled the mail

174 in sanding mile - launched it like a grandma - shifted at about 4-5k and only went WOT in 4th and 5th
180 in the 1.5 "magnum" mile - launched like a GRANDMA (partly an oops lol) 1-2 shift at 4500, 2-3 shift - blew that shift 3x lol, 3rd went WOT, shift 6k, 4th - WOT, shift at 6k, 5th WOT, saw 187 (about 6800rpm) and realized my tech speed was 180, so I lifted and coasted through at 180.

Not bad for a stock aero and zero attention to setup and not shifting remotely quick or launching hard at all.

Going back in October for 200...
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

so I lifted and coasted through at 180.

You know this would make a great sig line...

(Arguably the coolest thing I have read all night...)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Why did I come up short?? 487hp is not 500+

+1
Old 04-12-2016, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

haha didn't think about that!

Unfortunately I'm now a little worried I hurt the motor - buddy is driving so I'm looking through the data logging from my last run. Last part of 3rd gear through 5th, 6800-6900 rpm bank 2 went lean - REAL lean. I recall starting the car to put it on the trailer and seeing a puff of blue - at the time I thought it was odd, so I chalked it up to being a little tired.

Wondering if I dropped 1-2 injectors. But I don't recall it missing when going onto the trailer.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I'm confused...the original post says you have 1 3/4...the post above says you have 1 7/8.

and I call bullshit on the 1 7/8 not gaining anything up to while losing on the bottom. in my experience, you will gain more on bottom than top, but ultimately gain everywhere.

this dyno is from a stock bottom LS1. I swapped from 1 3/4 pacesetters with ory and 3" single exhaust with a cutout to a 1 7/8 stepped to 2" kook header with dual 3" exhaust and bullets. how is this for bottom end loss?

I also agree that 1 7/8 will gain hp over 1 3/4.

Thanks for the dyno sheets. I just feel your swap is not apples to apples, on a header swap, as the entire exhaust system was changed as well.

Those are very nice headers.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
I also agree that 1 7/8 will gain hp over 1 3/4.

Thanks for the dyno sheets. I just feel your swap is not apples to apples, on a header swap, as the entire exhaust system was changed as well.

Those are very nice headers.
the loss of power down low theory is due to have an exhaust system that "flows too much"...by not only going to a bigger header and also going to a bigger exhaust system I should technically have way too much flow for down low power....I opened it up and gained everywhere. OP needs a bigger exhaust system IMO
Old 04-13-2016, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Damn, nskyline34, every time I get back to this thread you're a thousand steps ahead of where you were the last time. You don't mess around.
Hope the motors not hurt.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Damn, nskyline34, every time I get back to this thread you're a thousand steps ahead of where you were the last time. You don't mess around.
Hope the motors not hurt.
I definitely do not have a reputation for being lazy! Haha going to take a week off from the shop I'm thinking, then I'll be back at it. Once the motor and better brakes are sorted out I'll be getting the car ready for road racing track days this summer - aero time!

Last edited by nskyline34; 04-13-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Aero and suspension are fun. If you haven't already, you may invest some time over on the Lateral-G forums. In their suspension section, Mr. Ron Sutton is a damn genius when it comes to suspension tuning and he will answer questions and help you dial things in. He also has some really useful sticky threads about suspension tuning and aero.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Aero and suspension are fun. If you haven't already, you may invest some time over on the Lateral-G forums. In their suspension section, Mr. Ron Sutton is a damn genius when it comes to suspension tuning and he will answer questions and help you dial things in. He also has some really useful sticky threads about suspension tuning and aero.
Ok I'll have to do that!! I'm wanting to make a track inspired car with aero like Danny Popps setup on his Z for road racing. I was going to do a front breathing flat belly conversion - but I want to save money for a track dedicated car.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok I'll have to do that!! I'm wanting to make a track inspired car with aero like Danny Popps setup on his Z for road racing. I was going to do a front breathing flat belly conversion - but I want to save money for a track dedicated car.

You mention Pop, (Optima Challenge). It's difficult to legitimize a series that places all wheel drive & 2 wheel drive vehicles in the same class. Also, hard to watch. Casting & production are terrible.

Quick Reply: Why did I come up short?? 487hp is not 500+