Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need cam advice 87 toyota 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need cam advice 87 toyota 4.8

Have done a lot of research around the Web but would like to hear imput to my specific plans from people who have done this. To start I'm going to be using a 4.8 in my 87 Toyota pickup. Truck will be a long travel suspension 2wd prerunner, street and trail rig, will be on 33s with 4.88 gearing auto tranny. This is a budget build so I'm using a higher millage motor I picked up cheep. Motor will have custom headers (to work around frame rails) no cats and minimal mufflers (haven't picked any yet) erg delete and a factory harness I'm going to strip. I plan to pickup a nnbs intake with rails and injectors well using factory tb. After everything it will go to my local shop for a full tune. Aside from that I'd like a cam that gives me some decent numbers. I'd be happy around 300/325 but 350ish would really be great. This being a real light truck I don't see it needing any more power to be a blast. My question for you guys is, I can't seem to find one but is there a factory cam that would be worth installing and if not what would you guys recommend to achieve those numbers? Owned plenty but first time putting any time into an ls so any info or constructive criticism would be appreciated.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Stick with the stock intake, it may be ugly, but it out performs most intakes on the market. an LS6 stock cam will do the trick

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...st-comparison/
Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 PM

Everything I could find says the nnbs intake with the 87 mm tb is a decent improvement. Do you think it's not nessisary for me because I'm not building a high hp motor or just unnecessary at all? I found a new gen iv with rails and injectors for 100 dollars.

I am confused, the first article you posted talked about a 60hp difference with just intake and the second article said the ls6 cam didn't work great in a 5.3 because it lowered low end power, something the 4.8 has an even harder time with no?

Last edited by 603butters; 03-07-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id look into one of the BTR truck cams http://www.briantooleyracing.com/cam...ruck-cams.html
Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LS6 cam has a very late intake valve closing event for a short stroke 4.8. This is why it lost so much low end torque in the test posted.

I would go with a TBSS intake with a 90mm TB (which I believe is the same intake as the NNBS intake) as this style of intake makes great torque production and produces a very broad torque curve.

Do you have any idea how long the primaries tubes are going to be and/or the diameter?
Old 03-12-2016, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the link, some pretty reasonably priced cams there!

I have a nnbs intake brand new with new rails and injectors now that I will hopefully be bolting on this week, deffinatly seems to have a much better airflow design and size. As far as headers I'm really not sure yet as I don't know exactly how it will sit in the frame rails. I am going to remove the whole fire wall to push the motor pack as far into the cabin as possible. I will have to see after its in place what sorta room I have to work with

Quick Reply: need cam advice 87 toyota 4.8