Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 ls 3 bolt cam swap question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 ls 3 bolt cam swap question

Bought a new ls9 cam picked up a ls2 front timing cover also got a ls2 cam kit gear and chain with 24x reluctor. My question is I'm buying a MS3 standalone for a 24x reluctor cam poss sensor however I know have the sensor in the front now and only the small female plug on the upper portion of cover I don't have the 6" jumper that routes near the lower portion. Is my standalone harness going to plug right into that female cam sensor plug or do I need a ls1 to ls2 harness? The Ms3 pnp kit is made for original 24x which is in the back of block is it the plug ?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbochrisss
Bought a new ls9 cam picked up a ls2 front timing cover also got a ls2 cam kit gear and chain with 24x reluctor. My question is I'm buying a MS3 standalone for a 24x reluctor cam poss sensor however I know have the sensor in the front now and only the small female plug on the upper portion of cover I don't have the 6" jumper that routes near the lower portion. Is my standalone harness going to plug right into that female cam sensor plug or do I need a ls1 to ls2 harness? The Ms3 pnp kit is made for original 24x which is in the back of block is it the plug ?
24x is the crank reluctor. Later has 58x. 24x engines have a 1x cam sensor, 58x have 4x.

Not exactly sure on the MS3 specifically but I can tell you that I went from a 24x LM7(basically longer stroke version of what you have for this discussion's purpose) with a GM harness with cam sensor in the back to a 24x LS2 with 1x cam sensor in the front just like you are doing and I only had to buy the extension/adapter harness from Racetronix. Since the MS harness was to be PNP to the same connector I have on the back that I extended to the front, it seems logical that this is all you need.

I did not use the 6" pigtail on the bottom of the front cover but plugged it straight in.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...2-CSAH&eq=&Tp=

Last edited by Mercier; 03-16-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.8 ls 3 bolt cam swap question