Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP ZL 402 Stroker a flop, you tell me....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on guys on the SLP bashing, without them there would be no firehawk or ss, and if all of their stuff is crap then how come gm lets them put their parts on their cars. I agree that their stuff is expensive but ive never had a problem with any of the stuff that i bought from them.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

without slp my hood and spoiler wouldnt have orange peel like a ************ and without slp my former chrome 10 spokes wouldnt have been pitted to hell and without slp i might woulda got a return on my pitted up wheels but they dont cover it
Old 06-19-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I for one read the write up in the magazine about the 402 and think it is a great deal. Think about it. Everything is there for a great short block. It will accept your stock heads or whatever it is that you have, your cam and intake and accessories to make it a hell of a deal price wise. And there is no core charge. So if their stuff is **** then their claim of 575rwhp with their LS6 heads and cam is the kind of **** I wish I had under the hood. All that for the price of and ATI blower? Come on guys that's great!
Old 06-20-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cz2898
Come on guys on the SLP bashing, without them there would be no firehawk or ss, and if all of their stuff is crap then how come gm lets them put their parts on their cars. I agree that their stuff is expensive but ive never had a problem with any of the stuff that i bought from them.
I agree. I love my SS. I love everything that SLP has done to it, especially the CME exhaust. I have bought a few aftermarket parts from them, and been happy. For all out hp, there is other markets out there that do offer more for less cost. If the camaro comes back, I am sure SLP will be the first at the door to bring us another great SS.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

SLP sucks *** period at all times. If you cna buy it from SLP, you can buy it somewhere else for %30 less
Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

SLP is fine for cheaper stuff. I got my lid and CAI from them along with some other misc stuff like a shift ****.

I like the 2OTL catback, and at the time it was the cheapest stainless catback by a mile. I've also been really happy with the level 1 suspension kit (I wanted a 1" drop, nothing more), but it needed relocation brackets and SFC's to really shine (got those from BMR).

My wife got a short throw shifter from them for me a couple of X-mases ago, and while I'd rather have gotten a Ripper or Pro 5.0, the shifter is nice and it was a nice gesture from my wife, so it's staying.

All that said, once you get past the basics into headers and internal engine components just about everyone is a better choice than SLP. And even the smaller stuff is much cheaper from one of SLP's vendors vs. going through SLP direct (I think my level 1 was about $550 shipped vs. over $700 before shipping direct from SLP).
Old 06-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Default Slp 402 - Facts

Guys -

Thanks for the interest in SLP's new ZL 402 short block. I would like to clear up some of the rumors, and offer some facts about the package. The package has not been officially released quite yet, as engine #1 is actually still busy being thrashed/tested on our dyno. All testing should be completed within a week or so.

Anyway, a detailed editorial about SLP's new 402 was published in the May/June 2004 edition of Pontiac Enthusiast Magazine (the only typo is the 60# weight reference- the iron block weighs 100# more than the aluminum. The cost was originally stated as $3995, we have since LOWERED it to $3595.). I recommend reading the article if you are interested.

Here are the main ingredients:

1- Production 6.0L cast block

2 - Internally balanced rotating assembly

3 - SLP spec'd Eagle 4" crankshaft

4 - SLP spec'd 6.125" H-beam rods (Eagle and Manley)

5 - SLP spec'd 4" pistons, 2618 forging (Ross and Manley)
N/A version (approx 11.2:1)
Heavy-Duty, Forced Induction version (approx 9:1)

6 - $3595 retail

7 – 402 CID 'rotating assembly' sold separately (parts only, no block, not assembled)

8 - SLP will also offer 383 CID rotating assemblies (no short block 383....right now)

Best regards,
Brian

Last edited by horsepower; 09-15-2004 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Launching!

The only issue for me was the statement that it was not internally balanced. With that cleared up, I'd say it's a hell of a deal from anyone.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Launching!

What does "SLP spec'd" mean?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:04 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a good deal,U figure all you'll need is a cam,chain and pump.I can use my pan,timing cover etc,Plus I could pick it up since there 1.5hrs from my house.

I think its a very fair price...
JMHO....
Old 06-23-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! All the sudden everyone is jumping on board. Did anyone bother to READ the article or is everyone that easily swayed? This is one HELL of a motor, period. I challenge anyone to put one together cheaper that makes the same power for the same $$. I can add all my external to this and still make more than a head and cam package on my LS6 block.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower
Guys -

Thanks for the interest in SLP's new ZL 402 short block. I would like to clear up some of the rumors, and offer some facts about the package. The package has not been officially released quite yet, as engine #1 is actually still busy being thrashed/tested on our dyno. All testing should be completed within a week or so.

Anyway, a detailed editorial about SLP's new 402 was published in the May/June 2004 edition of Pontiac Enthusiast Magazine (the only typo is the 60# weight reference- the iron block weighs 100# more than the aluminum. The cost was originally stated as $3995, we have since LOWERED it to $3595.). I recommend reading the article if you are interested.

Here are the main ingredients:

1- Production 6.0L cast block

2 - Internally balanced rotating assembly

3 - SLP spec'd Eagle 4" crankshaft

4 - SLP spec'd 6.125" I-beam rods (Eagle and Manley)

5 - SLP spec'd 4" pistons, 2618 forging (Ross and Manley)
N/A version (approx 11.2:1)
Heavy-Duty, Forced Induction version (approx 9:1)

6 - $3595 retail

7 – 402 CID 'rotating assembly' sold separately (parts only, no block, not assembled)

8 - SLP will also offer 383 CID rotating assemblies (no short block 383....right now)

Best regards,
Brian

Brian,

Thanks for replying to this thread. Don't take my comments the wrong way. I love SLP products as I have many on my 2001 Camaro SS (SFC, DSL, Line Lock, etc)

The price is somewhat attractive for your new ZL 402 short block, but one thing that will sway me to just build my own with help from other in the know is that it come with no warranty. When I was on the phone with one of your reps, I asked, "if I get everything installed to spec, I have great oil pressure, and it locks up in 2 minutes, there is no warranty"? the rep says "that is correct sir."

I know there is always risk involved and you guys aren't there to see it start, but somekind of warranty would be nice.

- Does it have valve reliefs in the pistons or not?
- Why don't you use FM main & rod bearings?
- What brand of rings are used?
- Do you get a sheet with the short block that shows all the balance specs and whats all in it?

Hope to hear from you soon...

Bill
Old 06-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

That's really not a bad price Bill. When I build 408's with almost the same parts, it usually comes in around $3000 to $3200 for parts and machine work. And I do not give warranties either But I still have a few motors out there running strong with no failures yet.

As for HPE, I dont work for them any more, but Erik is one of the most knowledgable and capable engine builders you will find. You can not go wrong buying an HPE 408. I may buy one myself one day
Old 06-23-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Thanks for clearing up the details. With the SLP 402 being interally balanced sounds like a decent deal and worth considering.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Brian,

Thanks for replying to this thread. Don't take my comments the wrong way. I love SLP products as I have many on my 2001 Camaro SS (SFC, DSL, Line Lock, etc)

The price is somewhat attractive for your new ZL 402 short block, but one thing that will sway me to just build my own with help from other in the know is that it come with no warranty. When I was on the phone with one of your reps, I asked, "if I get everything installed to spec, I have great oil pressure, and it locks up in 2 minutes, there is no warranty"? the rep says "that is correct sir."

I know there is always risk involved and you guys aren't there to see it start, but somekind of warranty would be nice.

- Does it have valve reliefs in the pistons or not?
- Why don't you use FM main & rod bearings?
- What brand of rings are used?
- Do you get a sheet with the short block that shows all the balance specs and whats all in it?

Hope to hear from you soon...

Bill
Thanks again for the interest -

To answer the questions:

1 - No warrantee is correct. Quite simply, too many variables out of control exist when a customer 'builds' the engine on our short block. We modeled this policy from most large companies selling high performance engines or components (Ford Racing, Manley = no warrantee. GM's is a little more slippery; they claim a warrantee, but disclaim it if you race, compete, alter, or improperly install, improperly use - basically everything) - Due to the intended nature of use, no warrantee.

2 - We don't use stock GM bearings - we use Clevite 77's performance line

3 - Valve reliefs: yes on the N/A engine, bowls on the Forced Induction version

4 - The balance specs; not sure if this will come with the engine or not - I don't see any problem supplying the nominal weights of each component. The cranks are balanced by our bob weights, which are the same on each engine type -

5 - Rings; matched with the pistons - i.e., Ross ring set with the Ross pistons. Good stuff - Moly upper, cast 2nd - each precision ground for each cylinder

Best regards,
Brian

Old 06-23-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Sounds like a good motor...I'd serious consider along with HPE, MTI etc if I wasn't going with a WAR 382.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't got any beef's with SLP. They are a little expensive on some things, but everyone is. Our local speed shop, and myself, concur that SLP's subframe connectors are about as good as they get. I have their air lid/bellow,and LM on my car, no problems with either. The LM is about the ightest cat back you can buy, and being stainless, and under 330 bucks, probably one of the best deals too. Actually, their air lid is about as good a deal as any, seeing how you don't have to buy that little filter for the AIR system, it attaches like the stock one does.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Brian,

Now it looks like you might have a hot seller on your hands. The parts list looks good, but I still have a few more questions:

- When you say that it is balanced, is it just the crank or the WHOLE rotating assembly? (just hope you don't just take Eagles word for it that it is balanced)

- Like I asked before, since it is balanced, is this short block considered "Balanced & Blueprinted" that way we know the specs of every part of the short block.

- Is there sales tax?

- Is it decked? (I know it's a new block but you never know)

- What kind of turn around do you plan on having? (From ordering to my door)

When the time comes this fall/winter and if I hear good things, I just might place an order, but you might want to get the sales staff up to speed on new products like this.

Any chance you can post some pics?

Bill
Old 06-23-2004, 03:55 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eagle balancing is horrible so u guys better rebalance the stuff.Decking the block is a good idea too.I think if these last 2 things were done I'd order one this fall too.

Then throw my Cartek S3's on it and a T-REX or something around that size.
That baby would make good power for sure behind a YTP4000/3.73's..

Quick Reply: SLP ZL 402 Stroker a flop, you tell me....