Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TDC cam swap question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and not sure if this info is important but. i removed the valley cover and snapped this photo, with the motor at TCD cylinder 1

exhaust lifter sitting right after the lobe, guess technically the start of base circle

intake lifter sitting right before the lobe,guess technically the end of base circle(here is a photo)
Old 06-06-2016, 11:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that lower sprocket will have multiple key slots on this particular timing set. You need to pull the pump off and check. If it does then you need to make sure it's in the right slot. This gets installed wrong a lot and if it is wrong the cam is going to be way off.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Last edited by Sales2@Texas-speed; 06-07-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
I believe that lower sprocket will have multiple key slots on this particular timing set. You need to pull the pump off and check. If it does then you need to make sure it's in the right slot. This gets installed wrong a lot and if it is wrong the cam is going to be way off.
I spoke to someone about this, because they thought that be the problem.

From what I can see, the key on the crank is at the 1 o'clock position(when cylinder 1 is at TDC. Also both the intake and the exhaust lifter at bottomed out on the block. While cylinder 6 the lifters are a little raised(not bottomed out on the block)

And from the photo I provided, it seems like, when the crank rotates in the clockwise rotation the intake valve will start to open.

Is that all correct?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I'd say more like 2 o'clock but this thing can be off just a handful of degrees. You need to take the pump off and be 100% sure it's right. If it's right, it's right, but that would be the first thing I check.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 06-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by atl1234
I spoke to someone about this, because they thought that be the problem.

From what I can see, the key on the crank is at the 1 o'clock position(when cylinder 1 is at TDC. Also both the intake and the exhaust lifter at bottomed out on the block. While cylinder 6 the lifters are a little raised(not bottomed out on the block)

And from the photo I provided, it seems like, when the crank rotates in the clockwise rotation the intake valve will start to open.

Is that all correct?
I think that TSP was asking if you could take a picture like this one. And the keyway is more like 1:30 than 1:00 on the crank, but eyeballing that is really not that great. My eyes don't have a built in protractor to see those kind of subtle angle differences.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
here are the photos you requested

Old 06-07-2016, 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you take a set of calipers and measure the exhaust bolt hole you can tell how much the head has been milled. It comes up about 1.615" from factory. I know the head is on but if you can get a caliper on the edge you should be able to get a pretty close measurement. Take what yours measure from 1.615 and you can see what the head is milled from the time it was new.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

which exhaust bolt hole, can you be more specific?

and I'm guessing my timing chain and sprockets are setup correctly?
Old 06-07-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by atl1234
which exhaust bolt hole, can you be more specific? and I'm guessing my timing chain and sprockets are setup correctly?
yes your timing is set up correctly. Unless the set itself is off.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Sorry about that, I'm trying answer between calls and I seem to be failing..haha. You need to measure from the head bolt hole by the exhaust. It's the measurement from the surface to the top of the bolt hole. Let me see if I can upload you a pic really quickly

Old 06-07-2016, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I ran out and measured this really quick
Attached Thumbnails TDC cam swap question-20160607_164354.jpg  

Old 06-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

this is what i got for a measurement: 1.605 inches

Old 06-08-2016, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That seems fine. I'm running out of ideas without without a degree wheel. It's hard to imagine the cam being off, if it's one we grind here but we could always check it out for you.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

That sounds great, who should I ask for when I call Texas speed

Quick Reply: TDC cam swap question