Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Head Studs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 02:07 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Since when is it against the non-sponsor policy to post link to ebay ads?
Since February 16, 2006 when the policy was written...

If it were ebay auctions, then that would be another story, but when you link ebay stores, like with these studs, then that's the same as linking to a non sposnor vendor and you're breaking the rules.

You better get ready to ban a dozen of your own forum moderators, because there are a few of you that post hundred of external links regularly. Not to mention the few thousand project logs on this website where people link all of the parts they used for swaps/builds.
You see me banning anybody for it?

When I see it, I usually just remove the links and put in a link to the Non Sponsor Policy. In some cases where the person seems to be soliciting business for themselves, then further action is taken.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

There are threads on this forum with huge lists of things like "commonly bought turbo items", "A-body swap parts thread", "G-body swap parts thread" that all have dozens of ebay and amazon stores linked in them, and in all 3 of them, links provided by forum moderators.

I never said I wasn't guilty, either.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:32 PM
KCS

There are threads on this forum with huge lists of things like "commonly bought turbo items", "A-body swap parts thread", "G-body swap parts thread" that all have dozens of ebay and amazon stores linked in them, and in all 3 of them, links provided by forum moderators.

Those don't sound like they have anything to do with the Gen III/IV Internals sections. I can't police the entire site. If you're that upset about it, feel free to PM the Moderator in question.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by KCS
Those don't sound like they have anything to do with the Gen III/IV Internals sections. I can't police the entire site. If you're that upset about it, feel free to PM the Moderator in question.
LOL, you answered my question perfectly.

Oh and you know I can't send PMs to anyone.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Since when is it against the non-sponsor policy to post link to ebay ads?

You better get ready to ban a dozen of your own forum moderators, because there are a few of you that post hundred of external links regularly. Not to mention the few thousand project logs on this website where people link all of the parts they used for swaps/builds.

LOL, you answered my question perfectly.

Oh and you know I can't send PMs to anyone.
Enough with the antics and instigation. Seriously. We won't ask again.

I'm sorry you're offended that LS1Tech wouldn't allow you to advertise your business services for free, thereby allowing you a free lunch and free profit which our sponsors have to pay for, but continued hassling of our staff won't be tolerated. It costs money to keep this site open and running, and the businesses and individuals making a profit from this site are the ones who cover such expenses. If this is a problem for you, then please find another site to spend your time on.

-Admin.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Run the eBay studs. PLENTY of guys have used them without issue, and plenty have ran them over 20psi on FI vehicles. I can't justify 300 bucks for studs anymore.

Speedmaster / Pro-Comp Studs, whoever, is what's going on my LS7.
x2

I'm running them on my 6.0, not because I don't have the money for arp's, but I can't justify spending that much on them when I see so many people using the sppedmaster/pro-comps.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KCS
Since February 16, 2006 when the policy was written...

If it were ebay auctions, then that would be another story, but when you link ebay stores, like with these studs, then that's the same as linking to a non sposnor vendor and you're breaking the rules.

You see me banning anybody for it?

When I see it, I usually just remove the links and put in a link to the Non Sponsor Policy. In some cases where the person seems to be soliciting business for themselves, then further action is taken.
KCS, I'm a bit unclear about the policy of trying to push a product, If you are not a sponsor. How come Chris Straub can?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:06 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by Quick Ranger
KCS, I'm a bit unclear about the policy of trying to push a product, If you are not a sponsor. How come Chris Straub can?
"6. We allow non-sponsoring manufacturers and vendors to come to LS1TECH and speak about their new products or answer technical questions about their products. This has never been a problem. Most of these vendors will often direct any business to their distributors who advertise here. "

I'm sure you're referring to the trunion upgrade, which I have yet to see Straub himself try to push. At first, it was Martin Smallwood advertising the trunion upgrades and it somewhiw evolved to Straub answering questions and speaking about concerns with install. So far, everything seems to be ok under paragraph 6 as quoted above.

Last edited by KCS; 08-13-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Stud/Bolt Stretch

The THOUGHT of a "slam" by the site KCS controller which is NOT correct.

This observation, "yield is the SAME for the low cost studs vs STOCK GM bolts" is correct.
A GOOD statement for someone with knowledge is made.

NOW, my problem is that the block WAS designed for a specified bolt, the GM item.
That bolt has a specified stretch amount, a value used to keep bores ROUND.

Many times I have "undercut" bolts/studs to ALLOW stretch greater than bolt yield.

THINK, "when the cylinder head "grows", the clamp distance changes AND CAN CAUSE head material loss in the clamp area causing lower torque."

Solution : Let bolts/studs "grow" at the same rate as clamped material, forces WILL remain equal.

Lance

Last edited by pantera_efi; 08-13-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Enough with the antics and instigation. Seriously. We won't ask again.

I'm sorry you're offended that LS1Tech wouldn't allow you to advertise your business services for free, thereby allowing you a free lunch and free profit which our sponsors have to pay for, but continued hassling of our staff won't be tolerated. It costs money to keep this site open and running, and the businesses and individuals making a profit from this site are the ones who cover such expenses. If this is a problem for you, then please find another site to spend your time on.

-Admin.
I honestly had no idea you weren't allowed to post ebay links. I see it hundreds of times a day and this was literally the first example I've ever seen of someone being warned for doing so. I just wanted clarification and he gave me the answers I needed.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:51 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
The THOUGHT of a "slam" by the site KCS controller which is NOT correct.
What do you mean "slam"?

NOW, my problem is that the block WAS designed for a specified bolt, the GM item. That bolt has a specified stretch amount, a value used to keep bores ROUND.
The bores aren't round with the bolts torqued though. That's what the torque plate is for, and it's not used on the LS engines (except LS7 and LS9 I think).
Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Round Bores = Stud Yeald

Hi KCS, the "slam" # 10 post of your response, "No E-bay Studs".
MANY of my customers that also SELL my products have E-Bay sales.
This is ONLY a modern retail stance.

Again, you miss my point.

I do use a Torque Plate Hone with LS Engines.
I do "heat" the block with the plates in place.

WHAT is stated is that when the block is at operating temperature, the bolt/stud should "grow" at the same rate as the expansion of the clamped area keeping the clamp pressure the same.
This method WILL keep the bores round AFTER the Plates are removed from the block.

This art I learned from Mike Costin over 40 years ago.

Lance
Old 08-14-2016, 10:02 AM
KCS

Hi KCS, the "slam" # 10 post of your response, "No E-bay Studs".
MANY of my customers that also SELL my products have E-Bay sales.
This is ONLY a modern retail stance.
LOL, that's not a "slam", that's a personal preference.

Again, you miss my point.

I do use a Torque Plate Hone with LS Engines.
I do "heat" the block with the plates in place.

WHAT is stated is that when the block is at operating temperature, the bolt/stud should "grow" at the same rate as the expansion of the clamped area keeping the clamp pressure the same.
This method WILL keep the bores round AFTER the Plates are removed from the block.

This art I learned from Mike Costin over 40 years ago.

Lance
Haha, ok. Agree to disagree I guess.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

If this is a NA build I can't see the need for a $300+ aftermarket fasteners. Even on most mild turbo builds, they aren't necessary. Factory head bolts and an LS9 gasket will handle 800+ at the crank with no sealing issues.

A stud is a better design by nature and provides better clamping, so I can see the appeal. If the China studs are as strong as the OEM head bolt, are a better design, and are easier on the threads in the block... I don't see what the draw back is.

I've used both ARP and the China Studs without issue at 26+lbs of boost making over 900 at the crank. That's a factory JY bottom end, no machine work. Others have done more...
Old 08-15-2016, 12:06 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
If this is a NA build I can't see the need for a $300+ aftermarket fasteners. Even on most mild turbo builds, they aren't necessary. Factory head bolts and an LS9 gasket will handle 800+ at the crank with no sealing issues.

A stud is a better design by nature and provides better clamping, so I can see the appeal. If the China studs are as strong as the OEM head bolt, are a better design, and are easier on the threads in the block... I don't see what the draw back is.

I've used both ARP and the China Studs without issue at 26+lbs of boost making over 900 at the crank. That's a factory JY bottom end, no machine work. Others have done more...
*mic drop*
Old 08-15-2016, 07:39 PM
KCS

It's a matter of quality.

A company like ARP spends a lot of time and money inspecting it's products to make sure the quality is consistent. ProComp doesn't. The prices of each company's products reflects that. It's the end user's decision as to whether it's worth it or not.

Me personally, I spend a lot of time in manufacturing facilities specifically as it relates to threaded products for the oil & gas industry. I see all the quality controls a company goes through to make sure the mechanical properties of a metal are consistent and the thread dimensions are accurate.

For example, the tensile and yield strength of a steel can change drastically with small, easily overlooked changes in the heat treat. As it relates to fasteners, if a batch of bolts were sold with varying yield and tensile properties, the same torque value could result in different clamping loads for each bolt.

So again, as a matter of personal preference, I would rather buy a set of $120 ARP bolts for my engine than to play roulette with an $80 set of ProComp studs.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:39 PM
8 Second Club

Good point, and makes sense if it's in the budget. Though if you're using bolts anyway, I'd think a new set of $30 OEM bolts would be more than enough fastener for most.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Good point, and makes sense if it's in the budget. Though if you're using bolts anyway, I'd think a new set of $30 OEM bolts would be more than enough fastener for most.
ARP bolts are reusable so I'd say that alone makes it worth it over OEM.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:42 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by itsslo
ARP bolts are reusable so I'd say that alone makes it worth it over OEM.
Guess that depends how often do you have the heads off an engine? You'd have to do it 4 times to equal one set of ARP bolts... And like 12 times for a set of ARP studs!

Also just to stir the pot...

Denmah reuses the OEM TTY head bolts on all his turbo builds. Many making over 700whp. I've never seen one of his engines have head sealing/clamping issues at these power levels. (Can look up Sloppy Mechanics youtube channel to see his many builds if you aren't familiar)

IMO head bolts/studs aren't a weak point you need to worry until you're north of 700 crank hp.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Guess that depends how often do you have the heads off an engine? You'd have to do it 4 times to equal one set of ARP bolts... And like 12 times for a set of ARP studs!
GM bolts are $30-35 per side... so first time heads are off ARP head bolts pay for themselves.

Quick Reply: 5.3 Head Studs?