Sponsored by:

Cam advise for stock lq4

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cam advise for stock lq4

We swapped a stock lq4 into our 02 ws6.
So it's a stock lq4, ls6 intake, 1-7/8 headers to 3" out the rear.
Stock torque converter and 3.73 gears and an 60e tranny.
What's the best cam for this lq4 with stock converter?
Might one day if we find a good deal swap 243s on it also.
Springs will also be swapped for the cam

Last edited by LS1 pwrd NOVA; 12-11-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LQ4 is a bit down on compression so the 243s or a quick mill on the stock heads will wake things up a good bit I think and possibly change your cam selection a little. That being said, a stall convertor could gain you as much or more than a cam though the tiny LQ4 cam surely deserves replacement.

Have you budgeted for aftermarket valve springs and associated items or are you looking for more of a budget-friendly drop-in?

Food for thought:

http://store.cammotion.com/57-ls1-346ci-101-compression-2

http://store.cammotion.com/the-titan1

Advice is free so I'd recommend calling a custom cam mfg and getting their take. If they don't have the perfect shelf cam they should be able to grind something just for you for about the same price in short order.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah we will swap out springs for the cam but money is limited when it comes on which route to go first on mods... I'm sure we'll do a full tune first then the route listed below as money is slowly building up for his mods. Bad thing about a torque convertor is how much longer will the 60e last before a rebuild is needed and then possibly mess up the torque convertor if trash gets in it. A tc may be last unless we find a good deal on one. Or should we go a different route on the list of money spent on mods below.

$350 dyno Tune>heads>cam>$100 Dyno Retune>Torque converter
Old 12-11-2016, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

What are your goals for the car and how many miles are on the stock auto?
Old 12-11-2016, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mild street racing daily driver at times...
Tranny about 120k on the odo...
I don't know how true the miles are though as its a used car and weve had our share of issues with it.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd honestly get a converter before a cam. The car will drive much better with a converter and the stock cam vs a bigger cam with stock converter.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
I don't know how true the miles are though as its a used car and weve had our share of issues with it.
I am not an auto guy so I'll pause until someone with more 4L60 experience can give some feedback on those miles on that transmission. What I do know is that the risk with a stall is that stall=slippage=heat and heat will kill any transmission, new or old. So upgrading the cooler would be important. This is usually not expensive.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I understand that, but now which convertor would be ideal as we don't know what we'd need or be better off with.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO. you would have a difficult time beating the GT2-3 cam from Lingenfelter
Pop some GM blue LS3 springs in with a new LS2 chain and shim the bypass spring in the oil pump, replace push rods and oil pump if funds allow or run what you got
It'll still drive nice have great low end torque and be stock converter friendly
Then get the car tuned
Old 12-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand that, but now which convertor would be ideal as we don't know what we'd need or be better off with.
At least 3600 but with the 3.73's i'd go 4000. Once you get that setup then i'd cam it to suite your needs. I'd hate to under cam a 364 just because of a lack of appropriate stall.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

We swapped a stock lq4 into our 02 ws6.
So it's a stock lq4, ls6 intake, 1-7/8 headers to 3" out the rear.
Stock torque converter and 3.73 gears and an 60e tranny.
What's the best cam for this lq4 with stock converter?
Might one day if we find a good deal swap 243s on it also.
Springs will also be swapped for the cam
Yeah we will swap out springs for the cam but money is limited when it comes on which route to go first on mods... I'm sure we'll do a full tune first then the route listed below as money is slowly building up for his mods. Bad thing about a torque convertor is how much longer will the 60e last before a rebuild is needed and then possibly mess up the torque convertor if trash gets in it. A tc may be last unless we find a good deal on one. Or should we go a different route on the list of money spent on mods below.

$350 dyno Tune>heads>cam>$100 Dyno Retune>Torque converter

Hey LS1 pwrd NOVA,

I would like to offer you a couple options:

First, we have a great camshaft we designed just for guys who want to keep their stock stall converter. It is what I like to call a "no sacrifice" camshaft. It has more power than a stock LS1 camshaft everywhere in the powerband, yet it maintains like-stock or better than stock drivability. You can't lose if you are upgrading from stock with this cam. Check it out:
http://store.cammotion.com/torque-titan-ls-camshaft

If you do decide to install a mild stall conveter in the 2800-3000 range, have a look at our Titan III. It will have a mild performance idle and great daily driver manners while still making great power:
http://store.cammotion.com/the-titan3-1

If the car is more of a hotrod and you want a "lopey" hotrod style idle, then you might like a 3500 RPM area stall converter and our Titan V camshaft. This camshaft has the hotrod personality, but still maintains good drivability for a serious street performance camshaft:
http://store.cammotion.com/the-titan5

We can also set you up with matching valve springs, pushrods, timing set or anything else you might need to complete your swap.

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110Like Us On Facebook!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
IMO. you would have a difficult time beating the GT2-3 cam from Lingenfelter
Pop some GM blue LS3 springs in with a new LS2 chain and shim the bypass spring in the oil pump, replace push rods and oil pump if funds allow or run what you got
It'll still drive nice have great low end torque and be stock converter friendly
Then get the car tuned
Does the GT2-3 still hold its own compared to modern stealth cams?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Felix C
Does the GT2-3 still hold its own compared to modern stealth cams?
I would have no basis of test info other than the fact that lobe design and valve control is a constant process of improving through design and testing. I can say that virtually every single person to have run the GT2-3 had positive feedback regarding the power and drivability
Old 01-04-2017, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ask because that cam was designed in the era before single springs were available to handle very high lifts. Also it is designed for manifolds and not headers- the negative duration at .050 is not too far from the stock LS6 camshaft so it does not gain as much with long tube headers compared to other designs with the same powerband.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Felix C
I ask because that cam was designed in the era before single springs were available to handle very high lifts. Also it is designed for manifolds and not headers- the negative duration at .050 is not too far from the stock LS6 camshaft so it does not gain as much with long tube headers compared to other designs with the same powerband.
It is meant to be stock yellow or blue spring friendly and does have a bunch of exhaust timing to crutch manifolds however according to Tooley; the big exhaust duration never hurts but rather helps carry further out past peak horsepower. Essentially raising the shift point which helps recovery rpm

Quick Reply: Cam advise for stock lq4