Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroking a 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Floader
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the very early stick 4.8's had long cranks
Never read or heard that but i could be mistaken.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:38 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, early 4.8s had the long crank as well.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:54 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucker82
Okay well then can you help me with this KCS.....would a LS2 - 7 block be interchangeable with my LR4 given the possible longer crankshaft of the LR4?

This is the start of my research, why not find out from fellas like me first before I start asking machine shops questions? I haven't found much doing google on 4.8 strokers that really has specifics. So I thought this would be the place to start, and I have gotten some good info. So thanks guys.
Just about all blocks are interchangeable, except the FWD 5.3L. IIRC, it has a different bolt pattern. The longer cranks are only longer because of a thicker flange in the rear. To my knowledge, no one makes a shelf forged crank with the thicker flange, so if you need it and you want a stroker, there are several companies that makes spacers, adapters, and special flywheels to make it all work.

Trust me when I say that the last thing a machine shop wants to hear from a customer is "well I heard from a guy on the internet..."
Old 01-20-2017, 07:57 AM
KCS

Great article to start with:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2010...i-crankshafts/
Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you KCS, my point exatly! And thank you for letting me know that the extra length comes from the external flandge that bolts to the flywheel.

JoeNova, I want what every gearhead wants....the most cubes in the small package you got. That way people think you just got a 5.3, but when you drag their *** and they go, " What you got in that thing??!!" You can dog'em with bragging rights.

OldLady, the more you open the bore size the more it unshrouds the intake. The longer rod the more torque the engine will build because the longer rod creates leverage. Long stroke short rod creates and uneven motion on the upstroke that makes the piston want to dig into the cylinder wall and create a scoring, often mistaken for having the wrong piston to wall clearance. A man named Judson Massingil once told me, "There is no substitute for cubic inches..." Torque is directly cubic inch related and proven in mathematical theory. Strokers need the right combination and better to learn it here than on the track with your your own money.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Teching In

OldLady, the more you open the bore size the more it unshrouds the intake. The longer rod the more torque the engine will build because the longer rod creates leverage. Long stroke short rod creates and uneven motion on the upstroke that makes the piston want to dig into the cylinder wall and create a scoring, often mistaken for having the wrong piston to wall clearance. A man named Judson Massingil once told me, "There is no substitute for cubic inches..." Torque is directly cubic inch related and proven in mathematical theory. Strokers need the right combination and better to learn it here than on the track with your your own money.
I've believe I'm following you here but let me just clarify here, how well would a 4 inch crank with6.125 inch rods and 3.8 inch bore work?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Teching In

OldLady, thats what I am trying to find out. Another fella on this thread said yes it would work. Also KSC posted a link to an artical I havent read yet. From what I hear in this forum and from reading, alot of emphasis is placed on sonic testing before going the massive 120 over. Back in the day when you went big you also filled the block and only ran your pass down the strip and shut it off. So my personal judgement would be to go half that at 60 over and see if the market has common sizes in that range. Check the common piston sizes and make a selection. The bigger the better. If you want to save some meat then save. But youll be happier with more now that less later I garuntee!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Teching In

OldLady, thats what I am trying to find out. Another fella on this thread said yes it would work. Also KSC posted a link to an artical I havent read yet. From what I hear in this forum and from reading, alot of emphasis is placed on sonic testing before going the massive 120 over. Back in the day when you went big you also filled the block and only ran your pass down the strip and shut it off. So my personal judgement would be to go half that at 60 over and see if the market has common sizes in that range. Check the common piston sizes and make a selection. The bigger the better. If you want to save some meat then save. But youll be happier with more now that less later I garuntee!
well this isn't exactly a track vehicle it's for my truck which won't be a daily driver per say bit it will get regular use
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

JoeNova, I want what every gearhead wants....the most cubes in the small package you got. That way people think you just got a 5.3, but when you drag their *** and they go, " What you got in that thing??!!" You can dog'em with bragging rights.
All of the factory LS blocks are the exact same size. It doesn't matter if its a 4.8 for a 7.0, so it doesn't matter. External dimensions won't change. The only place the displacement is stamped on the block is back where the trans bolts up, so they won't know anyway.

If you stroke a 5.3 with a 4" crank, you have ~359 ci. A 6.0 is 364 ci.
Not only that, but a 6.0 complete shortblock will go right in your truck with zero changes. 4.8/5.3 heads drop right on and give increased compression. You are literally money ahead just swapping in a 6.0 shortblock.

Stroking a 5.3/4.8 is just plain silly when it comes to cost effectiveness. You could buy a 6.0 shortblock for the same price as machining and assembly for the 4.8/5.3 block, not counting the rotating assembly.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:11 PM
KCS

Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Well see, I told you I was new, so i gotta get the dumb questions out of the way before I can make progress.

Thanks for answering my dumb questions.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

He's a troll.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:44 AM

Default What?!

Originally Posted by LStang01
crank is the same.. the only difference in displacement comes from a shorter rod length a simply longer rod would bump up the cubes to 5.3 from 4.8 but like i said in my other post it would be best to bore it to the ls1 spec and then go from there as the market for that is way more established and plenty of parts around but i believe its a 4" crank that goes in
Sorry, old thread but I saw this and have to say, PLEASE DONT LISTEN LSSTANG01. SO WRONG ON MANY LEVELS.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 261 Likes on 171 Posts

Since we're replying to five year old posts....

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Rod length has never determined stroke in any engine.
That is incorrect. Rod length determines stroke in exactly one engine, and it is the same engine that utilizes direct exhaust injection.

The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,511 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
Since we're replying to five year old posts....
That is incorrect. Rod length determines stroke in exactly one engine, and it is the same engine that utilizes direct exhaust injection.
ROFLMAO!!! New one to me! Good one.....
Old 10-03-2022, 06:36 AM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by LSisMYtoyMONSTER
Sorry, old thread but I saw this and have to say, PLEASE DONT LISTEN LSSTANG01. SO WRONG ON MANY LEVELS.
Bumping 5 year old threads ?? BRUH. and its your FIRST Post??
Old 10-03-2022, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,511 Posts

Originally Posted by Mavn
Bumping 5 year old threads ?? BRUH. and its your FIRST Post??
Yet, he IS right.....

Quick Reply: Stroking a 4.8