Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 camaro threw a rod on cold start?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
If this is true, then when you first start your cold engine, why wouldn't you have a vacuum leak seeping through the cold seals/o-rings? If water can seep in when there is no vaccuum in the intake manifold, then why wouldn't air leak in when there is a vaccuum?
My thought is that manifold vacuum is strong enough to pull the injector down tight to the manifold. Happens with pressure so I don't see why it wouldn't work with a vacuum.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Actually vacuum doesn't pull the manifold down, Engine displacement creates a low pressure area in the manifold and atmospheric pressure pushes on the area. Same reason why air enters the intake manifold, Atmospheric pressure enter the low pressure area in the manifold created by displacement in the piston areas.

Cold the intake is smaller and doesn't seal as well, hot the intake is larger and more flexible and seals much better. That's why on these cars you will experience a rough cold idle that disappears as soon as it gets into closed loop. If you watch the fuel trims close you can watch the manifold sealing up as it gets hot.

If you want to see real nasty reality, use a smoke machine on a cold LS1 manifold. You will be surprised how poorly it seals cold.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 01-24-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCS
If this is true, then when you first start your cold engine, why wouldn't you have a vacuum leak seeping through the cold seals/o-rings? If water can seep in when there is no vaccuum in the intake manifold, then why wouldn't air leak in when there is a vaccuum?
I do in my truck, throws lean codes when it's really cold out and you can hear the intake gaskets leaking. Once it warms up it goes away.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Same reason why air enters the intake manifold, Atmospheric pressure enter the low pressure area in the manifold created by displacement in the piston areas.
Isn't that the definition of creating a vacuum?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happened to me going thru a car wash car started to stumble since then i check the intake and header bolts every time i check my oil only takes a minute
Old 01-26-2017, 04:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Never heard of this before. Wild.
I am suprised you never heard this. There has been many threads on this problem. Must be a horrible feeling when it happens.

Quick Reply: Ls1 camaro threw a rod on cold start?!