Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Corrosion around water pump seals OK?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Corrosion around water pump seals OK?

I've been cleaning up my iron block and noticed corrosion or slight pitting around the water pump ports. Will the silicone gasket seal on this or do I need to surface it first?
Old 02-08-2017, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just clean up around the area with some scotch-brite or similar. It shouldn't really affect anything but I would remove the surface rust before putting any gasket on it.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

That image is of the cleaned up surface, I have actually already hit it with a white roloc! I might just scrape the surface with some jbweld to fill in the pits just to be safe, that seems like cheap insurance.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Use some RTV Sealant on it instead of gaskets and it'll seal it up just fine. Let it sit for 24 hours before adding coolant and running it though. If RTV can't seal it, it won't seal. It's some good stuff.

http://www.all-spec.com/Catalog/Adhe...FURqfgoduyUMOA
Old 02-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

I like the silicone gaskets, makes r&r way easier! I did think about it though, but I think ultimately RTV would be my last choice.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by xEtherealx
I like the silicone gaskets, makes r&r way easier! I did think about it though, but I think ultimately RTV would be my last choice.
Not sure why RTV would be your last choice it works well, I reuse the stock gasket and put just a small skim coat of RTV, Never had one leak.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Not sure why RTV would be your last choice it works well, I reuse the stock gasket and put just a small skim coat of RTV, Never had one leak.
He speaks the truth. We did the gaskets on my friends 6.0 iron block 2 times, with gaskets and it leaked every time. We put RTV on 2 years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Just saying.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

You should be fine. My 5.3 was worse than that and i just used the stock gaskets no leaks for 3 years now.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

The assembly manual states explicitly not to use any sealing compound on the silicone gaskets -- not sure why but I think it must be for good reason, maybe it breaks down the gasket material? I'll tell you what though, I was glad that there was no RTV on my gaskets when I just removed and replaced the front and rear covers! I hate scraping...
Old 02-08-2017, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xEtherealx
The assembly manual states explicitly not to use any sealing compound on the silicone gaskets -- not sure why but I think it must be for good reason, maybe it breaks down the gasket material? I'll tell you what though, I was glad that there was no RTV on my gaskets when I just removed and replaced the front and rear covers! I hate scraping...
They also assume you have a nice mating surfaces, In cases where you don't you use skim coat of ATV to fill the imperfections. Notice I said skim coat...Not glob it on. There is no more work cleaning it up later than you would do normally.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iron and aluminum have different expansion rates and that gasket will experience some movement after many years, so maybe there is a good reason for the stock gaskets, just say'n
Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Iron and aluminum have different expansion rates and that gasket will experience some movement after many years, so maybe there is a good reason for the stock gaskets, just say'n
And aluminum water pumps have been mated to iron blocks for many decades and they never had a problem with a dab a silicone being used on them. Just say'n

Quick Reply: Is Corrosion around water pump seals OK?