Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 5.3 Build question, Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM7 5.3 Build question, Cam question

Hey all, I lurk here very often, but this will be my first post! I am in the process of getting my parts list in order for my 5.3 build. Its going into my 2000 S10.

Anyways, this is what im looking at
-TEA Stage 1 head package, also milling the chambers down to 58cc
-New Flat top 4.8 pistons
-The short runner intake that I cant remember the name of with 102mm TB
-MLS headgasket
- I do not know what to do for a cam, I need some help in this department

This setup should be about 10.6:1, which is well within the range of pump gas.

Has anyone done something similar, Im sure someone has.. Any suggestions? The truck will be daily driven by my father and probably taken out to the track for fun. So it needs to be streetable.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Is it possible to go with a dome piston with the heads being milled? Id really like to be closer to the 11:1 static mark
Old 02-20-2017, 12:31 AM
Teching In

No one has ran a setup like this??
Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Helllooooo helloooo ellllooo ellllo llllooo lloooo looo ooo
Old 02-22-2017, 07:16 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Another "What Cam Should I Buy" thread? Yeah, hard to believe you aren't getting many responses....

Seriously though, there are a bunch of vendors that sponsor this site ready to help you sort out and sell you a camshaft. You, like many other people that post this same question, failed to mention many important variables to properly spec a cam to suit your needs. They'll hold your hand for you and help coax out that info so you can get a cam you would be happy with.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Virtually every setup has been done. Waiting for the *that* person to chime in could take a lifetime, compared to the 10-15 minutes it would take you to find it through search.

58cc head with flat tops in a 5.3 is going to be more than 10.6:1.
A short runner intake is a bad idea, skip it.
With 11:1 compression, you can afford some cam overlap.

You haven't said if you're looking for low end torque, mid range power, or top end only.
You haven't said if you have HP goal in mind, or a ET you want at the track.
Haven't given vehicle weight, or transmission.

Want specifics? Give specifics.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Virtually every setup has been done. Waiting for the *that* person to chime in could take a lifetime, compared to the 10-15 minutes it would take you to find it through search.

58cc head with flat tops in a 5.3 is going to be more than 10.6:1.
A short runner intake is a bad idea, skip it.
With 11:1 compression, you can afford some cam overlap.

You haven't said if you're looking for low end torque, mid range power, or top end only.
You haven't said if you have HP goal in mind, or a ET you want at the track.
Haven't given vehicle weight, or transmission.

Want specifics? Give specifics.
Boom...Mic drop.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Teching In

I can handle constructive critisicm, so I will run with your responses. I guess I thought I had given enough info, Clearly I was wrong. I will come back with some more info tonight when I can get on my pc. Even with the criticism, I appreciate the responses.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zane K Goll
Is it possible to go with a dome piston with the heads being milled? Id really like to be closer to the 11:1 static mark
Wiseco makes a 6cc dome piston in their junkyard dog line p/n K0041XS. They will also work with factory rods. on a 58cc head they are 11.6 cr.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM
Teching In

So this will be going in a 2000 s10 that will be daily driven, and taken to the track for fun. So it will spend most of its life in the low to mid rpm range, thats why I went with the shorter runner intake. ( its one of the ones that was tested in the article containing like 20 intakes) It will have a built 4l60e behind it ( im a trans builder by profession).

The 10.6:1 cr comes from a compression calculator, my numbers were pretty solid. Not sure if I missed a variable or why you think it will be higher? It like to.be in the 400+ hp catagory, as I know you will just be wanting more if you set your desired # too low. As stated, this will be in a little s10. So I feel like that number is more than enough to put a smile on our faces.

Ive looked at the junkyard dog line and I like them, the 4.8 pistons are just soooo much cheaper. I was planning on getting ahold of bullet with my specs and seeing what they suggested for cams as well, was just looking for some community input as well. Im just not well educated on cams, and dont want to make a costly mistake.

Ive spent many hours reading through various build threads, which I thoroughly enjoy. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing, and I will continue to take in as much as I can. Any response is welcome and appreciated.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:48 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

So this will be going in a 2000 s10 that will be daily driven, and taken to the track for fun. So it will spend most of its life in the low to mid rpm range, thats why I went with the shorter runner intake. ( its one of the ones that was tested in the article containing like 20 intakes) It will have a built 4l60e behind it ( im a trans builder by profession).
You may have misunderstood the testing results. Short runner manifolds hurt low-mid RPM power for higher RPM gains.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey all, I lurk here very often, but this will be my first post! I am in the process of getting my parts list in order for my 5.3 build. Its going into my 2000 S10.

Anyways, this is what im looking at
-TEA Stage 1 head package, also milling the chambers down to 58cc
-New Flat top 4.8 pistons
-The short runner intake that I cant remember the name of with 102mm TB
-MLS headgasket
- I do not know what to do for a cam, I need some help in this department

This setup should be about 10.6:1, which is well within the range of pump gas.

Has anyone done something similar, Im sure someone has.. Any suggestions? The truck will be daily driven by my father and probably taken out to the track for fun. So it needs to be streetable.
Originally Posted by KCS
You may have misunderstood the testing results. Short runner manifolds hurt low-mid RPM power for higher RPM gains.
KCS is correct here. So, if you could supply the make and model of the intake, it will be helpful.

The 10.6:1 cr comes from a compression calculator, my numbers were pretty solid. Not sure if I missed a variable or why you think it will be higher? It like to.be in the 400+ hp catagory, as I know you will just be wanting more if you set your desired # too low. As stated, this will be in a little s10. So I feel like that number is more than enough to put a smile on our faces.

Ive looked at the junkyard dog line and I like them, the 4.8 pistons are just soooo much cheaper. I was planning on getting ahold of bullet with my specs and seeing what they suggested for cams as well, was just looking for some community input as well. Im just not well educated on cams, and dont want to make a costly mistake.

Ive spent many hours reading through various build threads, which I thoroughly enjoy. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing, and I will continue to take in as much as I can. Any response is welcome and appreciated.
It would be my pleasure to help you with your build. We can get the perfect camshaft for your application. Just send me a PM and we can get started.

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110Like Us On Facebook!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:47 PM
Restricted User

LOL on the intake choice. Those short runner intakes are basically an across-the-board power/torque loss on a 5.3. Part throttle torque loses for cruising are pretty insane with those. As someone who goes beyond the limits sometimes when it comes to budget power, I recommend you throw it in the garbage.

Your compression with stock heads and 4.8 pistons will be ~10.2:1. You'll be fairly close to 10.6:1 with 58cc chambers, so your calculator isn't too far off. It will depends gasket thickness, etc. I forgot you're coming from 862/706 heads which have a small chamber to begin with.

My Go-to cam in this situation is a 222/225 cam from Howard's. You can get this cam with their springs from Summit for less than $500. Will make ~400 crank HP in a mild 5.3 with a halfway decent tune. Makes tons of torque, and has a good mid range punch.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I guess the runners on that intake arent as short as I thought. They protrude into the plenum. Here is one from the same company. I believe this is very close, or is the same one I ordered. I do see now what you were talking about on the low end drop off, not sure how I got that mixed up in my head. Ive also got 3 truck intakes as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-FABRICA...-/112167349918
Old 02-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Restricted User

Thats the same Chinese intake sold by 30+ other companies as their own.

Dyno results are pretty underwhelming. The dyno sheet in the link you posted is for the long runner version, on a 550+ HP cammed 6.0. The torque loses on a 5.3 and even shorter runners will be joke-worthy.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:49 AM
Teching In

I guess the runners on that intake arent as short as I thought. They protrude into the plenum. Here is one from the same company. I believe this is very close, or is the same one I ordered. I do see now what you were talking about on the low end drop off, not sure how I got that mixed up in my head. Ive also got 3 truck intakes as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-FABRICA...-/112167349918
I think you are loosing your money on the ebay intake. The truck intake will make your more power and tourque
Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Damnit, that sucks. Im kinda stuck with it for now unfortunately. Ill run with it until I can afford a Fast 102 I guess. Gotta keep the build moving forward. Dont want it to get stagnant. Cam Motion gave me some good options for cams as well! Kudos to them!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

The best stock intake for you is the nbs/tbss truck intake. The fast LSXrt would be top of the line but to me the price isn't worth it on a 5.3 .

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/20-ls...ifolds-tested/

Quick Reply: LM7 5.3 Build question, Cam question