Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just recieved my cam in the mail, looks like it has paint on it. Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just recieved my cam in the mail, looks like it has paint on it. Is this normal?

I received my cam in the mail from Jegs today and it looks like it has paint between the lobes on it. One spot the paint is orange and the other spot it is white. There is a blue dot at the end of the cam which I understand to be normal. My question is is it normal to have these other colors of what look to be paint on the cam?

It is a Jegs 200582
Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lacquer thinner should take it right off. One of the cams I ordered from Flowtech Inductions looked that way, but it's totally fine.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Lacquer thinner should take it right off. One of the cams I ordered from Flowtech Inductions looked that way, but it's totally fine.
thanks bro
Old 02-23-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
This^ my streetsweeper HT and MS4 had paint on them, I think it's a comp thing.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
PAINT!!!!! on a cam!!!!!! OMG do NOT go near it! I would call 911!
wow u actually took the time to make this as a "helpful" reply. U know some people love cars and aren't that knowledgeable about every single detail and once u add the cost of expensive ls performance parts taking a chance at screwing a motor up or asking a simpleasure question I prefer the question any day. Besides if he had put it in and blown his **** up and been like we'll there was some paint on it but it didn't seem to important he would have gotten more responses calling him retarded probably
Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

the paint in between lobes is a common way to mark the part as checked between machining ops, QC, batch runs, etc. it's not just cams that get dotted with a paint pen. if you open enough motors you'll see all sorts of scribbles. I have seen a smiley drawn inside a land rover motor

remove it or don't it's not gonna hurt anything.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I hope he is not going to try and install this painted lady cam.
He may have been unsure if the paint would come off in the engine during operation....which seems reasonable if you are unfamiliar. Stop being an *** to the guy.

Quick Reply: Just recieved my cam in the mail, looks like it has paint on it. Is this normal?