Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls9 Cam in 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It's cheap so a lot of Junk boost build guys run it but there's better out there
Old 03-04-2017, 08:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 747 Likes on 548 Posts

TTls1coupe is a great example. 6.0,Twin on3 76mm, LS9 cam... made 1034whp @ 26lbs. Ran 5.38 @ 134 in the 1/8th in a silver notch back. And yes if he ran a better cam it would make more power, but you can only run the JY/SBE stuff so hard.

How many JY guys need more than that type of performance? Half the "built" aftermarket cam setups I see aren't making that kind of power or running those times at the track.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

The ls9 will make less low end than a custom grind but rev like a bastard, idle and drive great and be easy on the stock valvetrain. This isn't a question of right and wrong, it's what works for you
Old 03-04-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I am going to offer a different perspective on this from a price point and budget perspective: Shopping internationally (blame Canada).

When you have a difference of $300-400 + absurd shipping/handling/service/customs charges and brokerage fees; and then add a 25+% exchange rate, and 13% taxes - you can see how this begins to snowball toward insanity. We feel this pain everyday.

So what do you do? Value engineer the crap out a project. Which is where something like the LS9 cam comes in very handy as a 9/10th solution (which can be easily masked with a power adder and some tuning on the boost curve).

Disclaimer: Not exactly a 5.3L-centric experience.

Example 1: We lived this with our Procharged TBSS build. Other than a used D1SC kit we basically popped in an LS9 cam, PRC beehives, generic 5/16" chromosexual 7.400" push rods, and some LS7 lifters. All in it cost about $500 Canadian bucks and allowed the truck to be built over the course of a Winter. The TBSS has gone 11.9 @ 116mph w/1.6 60' @ 5100+lbs, is emissions legal and drives like stock (wife approved). Worked great on Drag Week 2016 too.

Example 2: Conversely, the LS1 going into our wagon has taken over 3 years to piece together with the high buck parts like a Cam Motion cam, BTR dual springs, Trend 11/32" push rods, and BTR SLR lifters. Total cost? $1500+ of Canadian dollars! None of this expense was needed, just wanted - and definitely not wife approved. The wagon has been on jack stands since late-2013 (we're praying it moves under its own power this Spring); and may still be slower than the TBSS.

So, if you don't want to be in project jail forever, and want to enjoy your toy sooner rather than later - I suggest finding a solution that works well, not necessarily one that works best. Especially if you are outside of the US. FML.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the LS9 cam in my 2005 5.3 w/s475. Reason being was dollar to hp ratio. The engine already had the 3 bolt cam so I only needed to source a timing cover with sensor. So for $140 total I can get whatever benefits it will give me. For myself, i rather shift my power band a little higher as I don't need more torque down low as my swap will be traction limited as it is.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:40 AM
8 Second Club

Just looked some parts up on Rockauto for a friend. The FWD timing cover with sensor it $40. The 1-tooth cam gear is $20. Cheapest I found the LS9 cam is $109 shipped on ebay. So for around $170 you could have an LS9 cam.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
TTls1coupe is a great example. 6.0,Twin on3 76mm, LS9 cam... made 1034whp @ 26lbs. Ran 5.38 @ 134 in the 1/8th in a silver notch back. And yes if he ran a better cam it would make more power, but you can only run the JY/SBE stuff so hard.

How many JY guys need more than that type of performance? Half the "built" aftermarket cam setups I see aren't making that kind of power or running those times at the track.
At what weight? And then he changed his cam didn't he? To something like a 224/238-114 from his thread.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:15 PM
8 Second Club

No idea on his specs, don’t know the guy.

If you’re on a limited budget the LS9 is obviously a valid option and shouldn’t be cast aside by the band wagon haters is all I'm saying. Limiting the power below 4500 or so would probably help 90% of the JY builds out there at the track. Poor man’s traction control = LS9 cam!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

What about N/A performance withh the Ls9?

Im looking at a NA cam this morning and came across this thread... my build is Turbo but im not ready to drop the Snail itself (and supporting parts) in the car right now. Building a whole car in a few months took a bit more than i tought (time and money wise) so im thinking i could get thecar out N/A and do the turbo kit this next winter.

I have a '13 15k miles 5.3 and i was going to drop a second hand ( new) cam that is still 350$ but i just learned about these OEM cams (even on summit they are around 100$ from lq4 to ls9) and am now considering these... (what a deal!!)

If an Ls9 cam could work N/A and then keep working when i drop in my turbo (was looking at an S480) that would be very interesting and a bright move project wise since i would not have to change the cam for awhile. This is definitively a budget build, so every penny counts!!.....Especially as, like MotorHeadMike said..... 40% exch rate and shipping, customs and taxes.... REALLY add to the bill on a Canadian Build!! If i can run a single digit with the car ill be really happy!!

My set up is prolly a bit under 3k pounds, 5.3 Ls, Th400, 9in (no gear yet) and 30x9 slicks or 275's. (All in a '70 Nova, build thread in sig)

Thanks for any help, comment.

:-)

Hellsx
Old 03-16-2017, 09:27 AM
8 Second Club

Sure it will work well if you setup the combo to work with the cam. Get a semi-loose stall converter and rev the motor to 7k+. If you can stall to 4k NA you are right about where the LS9 cam starts to shine. Add boost to that and the stall will go up another 1000+rpm depending on the amount of boost you launch at. At that point you are well within the power band of that cam. A 9.5” PTC converter with a 17 stator worked great on my 8.6:1 5.3 with an LS9 cam. Would work even better with more compression. I’d PM SLOW SEDAN in this thread and ask if he’ll ship one of his used $40 LS9 cams to you. If you’re on a budget… that’s the best deal I’m aware of.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts

I'd run an LS2 cam over an LS9 in an NA 5.3, if I were going the budget route.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
I'd run an LS2 cam over an LS9 in an NA 5.3, if I were going the budget route.
I read the article in Hot Rod magazine about all the oem cams comparo in a 5.3 and i tought it could be interesting too... but wanting to go turbo as a main goal the ls9 is an interesting choice for it beeing able to "stay" in there after i upgrade to the force induction set up.

The numbers were quite close i think peak wise w/ 403 and 420 for the ls3 and ls9 respectively.

Forcefed86, isnt The 7k rpm needed with the ls9 cam is starting to be a bit on the high side of running these motors no? Not having my torque converter picked up yet and ditto for my rear gear gives me some flexibility to have fun this summer.

I also have access to a new, but second hand, 620/623. 235/243 on a 110 lsa and ctr line cam also but am a bit afraid its too close to (hits) the pistons... im basically only wanting to get a cam to replace my VVt cam (to get the car out for shakedown runs this summer) ) and since im thinking of changing that replacement cam as soon as i go turbo, i dont really want to spend 650$ JUST for a cam...(yep,,,, thats what it cost me here in Canada) ...especially since i plan to change it!!

I'll check with SlowSedan for sure if i end up going that way! Thanks!!

Hellsx
Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM
8 Second Club

The latest trend in pushing the stock bottom ends seems to be RPM. I came from old school V6 turbo Buick world running low RPM and high boost. But it seems this is a great way to bend the rods on an LS. (I preached the opposite years ago and appear to have been dead wrong! ) The small bore stuff really shines in the upper rpm. With factory intakes I’d target 6800-7k depending on which you use. Run a loose converter that gets you up over 4k quick and a cam that doesnt’ start pouring on power till after 5k or so. (just like the LS9) That might not make the best street car, but I think it’s how guys are keeping the SBE alive at big power levels. 7k should be fine with good springs/pushrods and mild cam lobes. Guys are twisting them up over 8k these days.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

The latest trend in pushing the stock bottom ends seems to be RPM. I came from old school V6 turbo Buick world running low RPM and high boost. But it seems this is a great way to bend the rods on an LS. (I preached the opposite years ago and appear to have been dead wrong! ) The small bore stuff really shines in the upper rpm. With factory intakes I’d target 6800-7k depending on which you use. Run a loose converter that gets you up over 4k quick and a cam that doesnt’ start pouring on power till after 5k or so. (just like the LS9) That might not make the best street car, but I think it’s how guys are keeping the SBE alive at big power levels. 7k should be fine with good springs/pushrods and mild cam lobes. Guys are twisting them up over 8k these days.
Hummmm....

Very interesting! I didnt know about the high rpm stuff. So what? Prolly a set of good bolts for peace of mind and then? Anything else im not thinking of maybe?

Like i mentionned, i dont really care about any street manners as this is only a track toy and one that im going to have my 12 yr old girl start to learn to drive "slowly" with also. Thats why im ok with not going all out right now. But id still like to have something fun!!

As far as intake choice, Im pretty stuck with running a carb deal at first...(or use my truck intake and find an ecu, but thats a LOT to me as im a Big zero with wiring) . I did read a lot about the FITech units and the 1200power adder and that, with a turbo, are what i am wanting to try, but im starting to start to feel the heat budget wise lately and thats why i want to focus on finishing my roller and getting it at least running on as little dough i can and so i'll see after that. My brake comes form fact I did a stupid move last year when i sold my 69 Camaro's, i got a new Camaro 1LE that i bought thats pulling on me as i got that car, thinking i was done with old cars, but i then realized i really preferred a Welder and grinder to a mitt and soap... so im goint to try and sell her back (losing a major chunk) and when i do, ill have free reighs to get everything, all at once and do the big jump. But meanwhile, i have to keep some to feed the Camaro deal. Anybody looking or know someone looking for a black, bad ***, '15 2SS/RS 1LE with Z/28 grille and complete aero kit w/wicker bill @ only ~3000 miles?? Lol!! 'Never know...

Thanks for the help,

Hellsx
Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 AM
8 Second Club

Stock truck intakes are great. MS3 gold box is plug and play with no wiring and you can use the stock intake and TB. That’s what I’d suggest. Just need injectors. Also good if you are going E85, which is the cheapest way to big power IMO. The FItech is tapped injector wise quick with E85 and you can’t upgrade.

http://www.efisource.com/shop/ms3-lsx-plug-and-play/

And a good blow through CARB setup for E85 plus the intake manifold and coil control will cost more than the MS3 and stock intake… and the additional plenum volume in the stock truck intake works better IMO. Also the MS3 has datalogging and a bunch of extra features you don’t get with a FItech or a CARB.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 03-17-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Stock truck intakes are great. MS3 gold box is plug and play with no wiring and you can use the stock intake and TB. That’s what I’d suggest. Just need injectors. Also good if you are going E85, which is the cheapest way to big power IMO. The FItech is tapped injector wise quick with E85 and you can’t upgrade.

http://www.efisource.com/shop/ms3-lsx-plug-and-play/

And a good blow through CARB setup for E85 plus the intake manifold and coil control will cost more than the MS3 and stock intake… and the additional plenum volume in the stock truck intake works better IMO. Also the MS3 has datalogging and a bunch of extra features you don’t get with a FItech or a CARB.
LOL!!! There you go.... making me second guess my choices... AGAIN!! Hahaha!! Its nice tough, seriously. I wasnt aware their prices we're so competitive and more importantly, i was under the impression their kits we're all "finish yourself", and i REALLY hate wiring and am not too at ease with it so i had put this company pretty much aside.... yeah, i'll build a whole car, but need help or a simple system when it comes to wiring/computering.

That beeing said, i really like the option now that ive read all of it from your link, (thanks!!) and I really might be able to do this...(physically and financially) . my oe intake is on a shelf and super clean. I also really like the look of it a whole lot better than a carb / intake set up!! And I wouldnt be surprised its lighter than an intake/carb deal too.... and you think itll keep up till 7+k rpm with the cam?
I read the system is also able to perform self tuning... which is a BIG plus to me, both to help start it and because we are kind of limited tuner wise around here...sadly.

Looks like this plan is finally taking some kind of a shape!! I will now be able to get moving in the engine dept!!!

Thanks a lot, its really appreciated!! I'll be thinking this whole deal all over today and be able to order stuff next week i guess!!

H.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:21 PM
8 Second Club

Yea stock intakes will be fine around 7k. Here's a great article. The TBSS intake is pretty impressive if you can find one cheap. Standard truck intakes are still great.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/20-ls...ifolds-tested/
Old 02-26-2018, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don’t agree 100%.

Sure there are cams that will perform much better at low RPM. But they aren’t $100 new.

As for the price a timing cover and sensor is $36 at autozone. It really wasn’t hard to extend my harness to the fwd cover to run the LS9 cam. If you can get one for $40 used above. That’s under $80 for a cam capable of 1000whp on a 5.3 that’s setup correctly. It also idles like glass with tons of manifold pressure.
do you have a part number to reference? I’ve checked auto zones website, and I can’t find a $36 timing cover and sensor. Any help would be great. Thank you
Old 02-26-2018, 06:54 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94 slow

do you have a part number to reference? I’ve checked auto zones website, and I can’t find a $36 timing cover and sensor. Any help would be great. Thank you
looks like they have went up at auto zone. Look at 2006 gto on rock auto. Looks like 36-54$ depending on brand
Old 04-24-2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
LS9 cam isn't single bolt.

I've taken a few LS9 cams out for people and installed a proper spec'd aftermarket cam and so far all of them have been shocked how much difference it made. If you really don't have the extra money for a cam and the LS9 is laying around then I guess its worth it. Speaking of which I have a few LS9 cams laying around... $40 used or $75 for a new one.

But either way I wouldn't run LS9 springs with a turbo, at least if you plan to run any decent boost. Spend some money there and upgrade a bit.
I realize this is an old post, just curious if you have an ls9 Cam still for sale? I am I recent convert from the ugly and expensive Ford camp currently building a turbo 5.3.

Quick Reply: Ls9 Cam in 5.3