Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head porting question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head porting question

I started on a set of 241 I have lying around and went a little overboard on the exhaust side . I opened the port all the way up not larger than the gasket but wondering if I might have ruined the exhaust flow by opening it all the way up instead of keeping the "D" shape and only opening up the roof off the port . Can I get and expert in here and tell me if I've F'd up or will they still flow decent/ better than stock . Setup will me stock bottom end plan to mill these .30 with a TTP v3 cam
Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

On the exhaust side I only do the top and sides.......never the floor
Not sure if yours went the wrong direction (worse) but even the CNC factory castings I've seen don't mess with the floor if at all
Old 04-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
On the exhaust side I only do the top and sides.......never the floor
Not sure if yours went the wrong direction (worse) but even the CNC factory castings I've seen don't mess with the floor if at all
Yeah that's what I was looking at and hoping there's no down side to it maybe just a waste of time. I did research on in a while back and instead of double checking I looked it up after the fact smh .
Old 04-24-2017, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Opening the port runner has little or (none in this case) returns, you could leave the exit and runner and openings alone. It's in the bowl area where the biggest gains are made, blending the walls to the seats, reducing the the restrictions in the way like guide boss reduction and reshaping, maybe a little work on the short sides and of course a good valve job. You can f#^@ head up there too if you don't know what your doing. You picked a good head to practice and learn on though, half the people on this site have at least one set of those 241's and 853's and don't have much use for them.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

No doubt. Well I will have some number posted on these things soon I'm excited to see what they do
Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you post up close up shots of those ports. Its hard to tell from pics , the port on right does not appear that you went back and down as much as the port on the left. As already been said leave the floor alone . Most of the gains here at the exit are in raising the roof , and other areas mentioned earlier. The only way to correct this is to have the floor welded back up . But the cost to this can be more than what those heads are worth to begin with.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SmallBlock 383

Quick Reply: head porting question