Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Comp Cam Trunions ok?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Curious question. What makes the aftermarket needle bearing trunions (Comp, Summit, BTR) any worse than the factory needle bearing trunions?
Longevity speaking, I'm just curious because of course there are hundred of thousands or millions of factory LS based engines out there in vehicles that are getting 100,000-200,000+ miles on them with factory needle bearing rockers. Of course I'm not speaking of modified vehicles here, just a comparison between factory needle bearing rocker vs aftermarket needle bearing rockers. Why wouldn't the aftermarket bearing trunions not last the test of time like factory units?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Curious question. What makes the aftermarket needle bearing trunions (Comp, Summit, BTR) any worse than the factory needle bearing trunions? Longevity speaking, I'm just curious because of course there are hundred of thousands or millions of factory LS based engines out there in vehicles that are getting 100,000-200,000+ miles on them with factory needle bearing rockers. Of course I'm not speaking of modified vehicles here, just a comparison between factory needle bearing rocker vs aftermarket needle bearing rockers. Why wouldn't the aftermarket bearing trunions not last the test of time like factory units?
The OEM are made via machines, vs human error install on aftermarkets.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Ford and Chrysler have used bronze bushing material in rocker assemblies for decades. It's been going on 60 years. That's why we are called the "Aftermarket". We do it "after" the oems have.
Sorry, I didnt mean for it to come off that I was downplaying other companies coming out after the fact.

My point was, new trends don't necessarily trump old proven combos. Even if they are scientifically better.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

The problem with the OEM rocker bearings is the uncaged rollers they are made with. If the bearing should fail for any reason, the rollers fall out, finding their way into the rest of the engine, causing untold problems
Old 05-03-2017, 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

The cage on the side can pop off and all the internal goodies go everywhere plus the rocker arm stops doing its rocker arm dutys.
Needle bearings are used extensively in nearly every aftermarket rocker arm also. I have not pressed them apart to find out what they use though. The pressing issue with the "comp" trunions are the 2 dissimilar metals used with 2 separate surface hardness. Possibly lack of proper oiling as well, although i have not seen any bluing of the bearing or the trunion in that respect.
The gm design is superior due to it having an inner race instead of using the trunion to be the race. Changing that design would likely fix the issue but would still make them noisy. The CHE and Straub bushings are very quiet in comparison.
That being said, again we still sell the comp trunions also just not as frequently as before.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If there was only a way to upgrade the stock trunions to keep that side plate/cap from coming off, I doubt we'd have many issues with these damn rockers lol. That would be ideal, too bad GM never did anything about this design ;-(
Old 05-03-2017, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
The OEM are made via machines, vs human error install on aftermarkets.
I was speaking as if either were installed perfectly. What of the two types design characteristics would cause one's longevity be greater than the other. tech@WS6store has a probable reason below.

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The cage on the side can pop off and all the internal goodies go everywhere plus the rocker arm stops doing its rocker arm dutys.
Needle bearings are used extensively in nearly every aftermarket rocker arm also. I have not pressed them apart to find out what they use though. The pressing issue with the "comp" trunions are the 2 dissimilar metals used with 2 separate surface hardness. Possibly lack of proper oiling as well, although i have not seen any bluing of the bearing or the trunion in that respect.
The gm design is superior due to it having an inner race instead of using the trunion to be the race. Changing that design would likely fix the issue but would still make them noisy. The CHE and Straub bushings are very quiet in comparison.
That being said, again we still sell the comp trunions also just not as frequently as before.
Seems probable.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,007 Posts

The only folks that I personally know that had LS OEM rocker arms spill needle roller bearings, weren't real big on oil changes. I think needle roller bearings are far more sensitive to contaminated dirty oil.

After pounding on a set of stock LS1 rockers for 160,000 miles in the TA. Given that ~130,000 miles of that has been with heads & a 224 XE-R cam. I don't worry about the stock rockers much just have them checked when it's time to do valve springs.

I suspect timely 5,000 mile or less oil changes and very high quality oil filters do a lot to protect the needle bearings in the stock roller rocker.

Regarding, the Comp Cams trunion upgrade are there any negative comments about them by renown engine builders like Kurt Urban, Billy Briggs, Tom Nelson and the like? I've heard some them comment on parts they don't like before usually with deeper insight.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Iirc Kurt uses them now instead of the comp trunions on his engines. Plus Chris (Straub) is no slouch when it comes to engine building either.
There are so many many people that ls1tech or the internet doesnt reach that use any of these 2 kits, its hard to tell. Esp overseas also.

I have seen them pop off for no reason really om stock vehicles. fbodys and trucks.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A while back it was found with the Comp kits that needles would wear into the trunions, indicating incorrect heat treatment and/or incorrect steel composition of trunions and/or needles.

Also, the needles seem to be to small... there was a HD trunion rocker floating around some years ago that had larger needles (so the trunion diameter had to be smaller).
Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I will add 1 comment that prob not alot of people know.
When you get a new rocker arm for ls from melling...they have a comp style trunion installed already. pn MR-1431 if anyone is interested. I say comp style because i am unsure if the actual components are the same of course.

Joecar I remeber that. seems like very limited run. looked just like rockers off the 3400 v6 engines.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 580 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
I know of someone that's done 70+ sets of Comp Cams trunion upgrades and never had an issue with a single rocker. He described about a half dozen ways it's possible to screw up the trunion upgrade if someone isn't on top of the details and instructions. I think an expert engine builder can install them without issue.

One of the most common pitfalls is if used rockers are being upgraded. The expert I spoke with said typically at least 2 of out 16 rockers have established bad wear patterns and need to be discarded. The rest of a batch of used rockers required very careful checking and sometimes filing or grinding on areas that that contact the valve tip. Failure to inspect and fix, set the grounds for failure. New rocker should also be checked.

Dirt and contamination is also an issue. How often are used rockers given ultra sonic cleaning before being reused?

Any sort of burr can set the stage for disaster.

in other words, it's easy to screw up the trunion upgrade and not even realize it. Reading the instructions helps but the whole idea of check everthing twice also comes into play.

Any error In what is described above is mine and I'm sure there are details I forgot to include.

I personally would NEVER attempt to do the CCams trunion upgrade myself. There is a small number of expert engine builder and cylinder head masters I would trust to do the Comp Cams trunion upgrade for me.
complete bs. bad wear patterns on what? the only wear surface on a stock rocker is the tip and that has nothing to do with the trunion surface delaminating. your buddy sounds like a talker that just wants to sell you something.
the heat treat is too thin on the comps and they flake off. i had a complete set do it. there were 2 of 32 wear surfaces that didnt flake off into my oil.
I have no idea how comp messed up so badly, i have never heard of this problem in any other motor and roller rockers have been around longer than i have been alive, but they pulled it off.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
complete bs. bad wear patterns on what? the only wear surface on a stock rocker is the tip and that has nothing to do with the trunion surface delaminating. your buddy sounds like a talker that just wants to sell you something.
the heat treat is too thin on the comps and they flake off. i had a complete set do it. there were 2 of 32 wear surfaces that didnt flake off into my oil.
I have no idea how comp messed up so badly, i have never heard of this problem in any other motor and roller rockers have been around longer than i have been alive, but they pulled it off.
I think he is a valid source of information. If there's an error in what I posted it was my understanding of what was said. I think there is more than one side to the Comp Cams trunion story and shared the information I learned.

I will talk to him again in a few days.

Do you have a specific questions about the CCams trunion upgrade you would like asked if the chance occurs?

The person that told me that has researched and designed induction systems for over 30÷ years. His cylinder heads & intakes have been used in NHRA Pro Stock, IHRA Pro Stock, Pro-Mod, Pro-Nitrous, tractor pulling, NASCAR, Land-Speed record engines. I figured understands rocker arms and rocker arm issues.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a Summit set, which are pretty close to the Comp sets and can tell you this. The trunions are made from regular heat treated 4140. They are about 50 HRc, which is way too soft for a bearing surface. On top of that, the bearing surface on the trunion is crap. They look like someone took 180 grit sandpaper to get the finish. If it is a ground finish, which it should be, they used the wrong grinding wheel.

All any of the manufacturers need to do is put an inner race in the bearing. The problem is that costs extra money and nobody will go down that path. It is cheaper to sell the crap with a disclaimer stating it is made for racing so they do not have a warranty. When they fall apart, you are screwed.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
The gm design is superior due to it having an inner race instead of using the trunion to be the race.
Yup. A massive engineering oversight on the aftermarket's part.

There are lots of examples of shaft mounted OEM rockers that work just fine - these bushing kits are not a new concept, just one applied to this application.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have experience with the summit trunion kit that comes with bronze bushings instead of needle bearings?
Old 05-06-2017, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach-R
Anyone have experience with the summit trunion kit that comes with bronze bushings instead of needle bearings?
Not I, but if it is as big of a POS as their bearing trunion upgrade, I would pass!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joyridin'
Not I, but if it is as big of a POS as their bearing trunion upgrade, I would pass!
I hear ya. I was just curious. Im sure they are better than the summit needle bearing kit. Im in the market and may just wait so I can scoop up the tsp kit.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Curious...Any data that explores the possible variation in the arm bore sizes?
A brg or bushing installed into a set of rockers with varying bore sizes would likely affect longevity.
Maybe, bushing installed, then honed to size?
Maybe a large qty of rockers, sorted to put a set together w/ the closest to spec bores? [I don't know that that dimension is.]
A "what if" scenario: Shafts made w/ sufficient shoulder on the inner side, to accurately locate the bushing. The bushing is a "full floater", like a turbo CHRA ?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 602 Likes on 478 Posts

Just go CHE

Quick Reply: Are Comp Cam Trunions ok?