Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm camtarded, need some help choosing a cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm camtarded, need some help choosing a cam

Im cam stupid so i need some help choosing one...I was looking into a 02 zo6 cam, but i was talked out of that by some members on here...so this is my criteria..

with bolt ons im at ~340 rwhp/rwtq, Im shooting to make 360-370 with a cam. I dunno if this is even possible with what i would like but please i would like to learn...

I want a small cam. I want to change the sound as Little as possible. No lopey sound. I want this thing to be as sleeper as they get. U know the kind, where someone gains power over stock through an aftermarket cam but you could hardly tell is aftermarket?

is this even possible? with a small cam what all would i need for the install? springs and pushrods probably (cause i do use nitrous anyhow)? motor gaskets for the install? what else?

Thanks
Travis
Old 06-26-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have headers? If so you could easily get to 370+ with either Thunder Racing's "Old Man" cam or MTI's "Stealth" cam. Both have profiles with high lift but lower duration and wide lobe separation. This will give you a stock sounding idle but good HP gains. You'll need good springs with either b/c of the high lift, but thats not a problem anymore.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

yup i have pacesetter lt's. with true duals...which is one of the reasons i want to stick with a stealthy cam.

thanks for the post ill look into those. so all id really need is a set of 918 springs to go with it?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

918 Springs and Pushrods are minimum of what I'd do. I'd look at some of the smaller comp cam grinds also. They make plenty of power without sacrificing a thing.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

i'm looking at getting the mti stealth 2. it should be quite stealthy
Old 06-26-2004, 11:59 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gt2-3
Old 06-26-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slik98z
Im cam stupid so i need some help choosing one...I was looking into a 02 zo6 cam, but i was talked out of that by some members on here...so this is my criteria..

with bolt ons im at ~340 rwhp/rwtq, Im shooting to make 360-370 with a cam. I dunno if this is even possible with what i would like but please i would like to learn...

I want a small cam. I want to change the sound as Little as possible. No lopey sound. I want this thing to be as sleeper as they get. U know the kind, where someone gains power over stock through an aftermarket cam but you could hardly tell is aftermarket?

is this even possible? with a small cam what all would i need for the install? springs and pushrods probably (cause i do use nitrous anyhow)? motor gaskets for the install? what else?

Thanks
Travis
For what you want to do, I don't know why you were talked out of the 02 Z06 cam. The 02 Z06 camshaft with some 1.8 Rockers will probably get you closer to 370/375 RWHP. Another reason I think it's a good option for you is because it will be virtually undetectable. There will be almost no lope at all. I know quite a few people that have 02 Z06 cams in their LS1's and nobody even knows. It sounds that stock. As far as springs go, the Z06 springs will be just fine. Your stock pushrods will also be just fine. This cam almost doesn't require you to re-tune your PCM. You'll find slightly more power and driveability with a tune, but it's not necessary like it is with all of these monster cams nowadays.

As far as gaskets go, places like Thunder Racing and TSP sell gasket kits specifically designed for people who are swapping cams. It comes with everything you'll need to ensure a trouble-free installation.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how everything turns out!
Old 06-26-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup i have pacesetter lt's. with true duals...which is one of the reasons i want to stick with a stealthy cam.

thanks for the post ill look into those. so all id really need is a set of 918 springs to go with it?
are they dumped? i dont think anyone will think your stock with true duals on. go with the lope
Old 06-26-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely the springs, 918s or many others than can accept up to .600 lift. Definitely new gaskets as well. New pushrods aren't a bad idea nor are new retainers, but these aren't essential. Both of the sponsors I mentioned sell a cam kit that includes all of that stuff (except for maybe the gaskets... not sure).

Also, don't know how those cams do on stock tune. They're probably pretty well mannered, but I would guess a good tune could eek out another 10+ hp or so. Someone who has one of those cams could probably tell you.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

hotcam.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by Stone0fFire
hotcam.
did you read his post, he said no lope.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies fellas.

what is the general consensus about the 02 ZO6 cam? I mean, if i could get what im looking for from that cam, id do it in a heart beat as i could probably pick up the cam and springs for around 150-200 tops. are the rocker arms necessary? cause i've heard the stock rocker arms work just fine with most cams...but again i've gotten mixed information about that one too.

if it will do teh trick and i coudl really get up to around 360-370 rwhp using a zo6 cam, im game for that. but if its only gonna really be something like a 10rwhp-15 rwhp gain...considering the cost of install, i dont feel that would be worth it and i might go for a little larger cam and just live with the extra noise on a daily driver...

btw the dumps aren't sticking around for long. Im working on tail pipes but i gotta make sure they work on a lowered car. so that should be fun.

Anyhow, thanks again fellas...keep em coming

where does the zo6 cam make its power as opposed to some of the other smaller cams from our sponsers?
T
Old 06-27-2004, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm getting the Old Man cam installed as we speak. My criteria were identical to yours. If you're still looking by the weekend, I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and TR's having a sale for Cam packages that's only lasting till the 30th. No pressure, but I was really glad somebody pointed it out to me in time.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For what you want to do, I don't know why you were talked out of the 02 Z06 cam. The 02 Z06 camshaft with some 1.8 Rockers will probably get you closer to 370/375 RWHP. Another reason I think it's a good option for you is because it will be virtually undetectable. There will be almost no lope at all. I know quite a few people that have 02 Z06 cams in their LS1's and nobody even knows. It sounds that stock. As far as springs go, the Z06 springs will be just fine. Your stock pushrods will also be just fine. This cam almost doesn't require you to re-tune your PCM. You'll find slightly more power and driveability with a tune, but it's not necessary like it is with all of these monster cams nowadays.

Bam! Who the hell talked you out of the ls6 cam?!

All you would need to go that route would be the ls6 cam and ls6 springs.

The stock rocker arms are just fine. Going to 1.8s would increase the lift of the ls6 cam from .551 to around .583 or so. Doing that would require different springs than the ls6 springs (trust me, I know).

You should easily see 370 rwhp at least with proper tuning.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:00 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Thanks for the replies fellas.

what is the general consensus about the 02 ZO6 cam? I mean, if i could get what im looking for from that cam, id do it in a heart beat as i could probably pick up the cam and springs for around 150-200 tops. are the rocker arms necessary? cause i've heard the stock rocker arms work just fine with most cams...but again i've gotten mixed information about that one too.

if it will do teh trick and i coudl really get up to around 360-370 rwhp using a zo6 cam, im game for that. but if its only gonna really be something like a 10rwhp-15 rwhp gain...considering the cost of install, i dont feel that would be worth it and i might go for a little larger cam and just live with the extra noise on a daily driver...

btw the dumps aren't sticking around for long. Im working on tail pipes but i gotta make sure they work on a lowered car. so that should be fun.

Anyhow, thanks again fellas...keep em coming

where does the zo6 cam make its power as opposed to some of the other smaller cams from our sponsers?
T
you a4 or m6? i think you'd be hard pressed to pull 370rwhp with an ls6 cam with an auto. you can hit it with the m6, though i think the gt2-3, any 216 to 224 grind on a 114-115 will be better suited. the ls6 cam is great if you want a stock powerband with a bit more top end, gains of 20-50rwhp can be seen from 6k+. however if your looking for more power through out the entire powerband i'd look else where.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a sleeper camshaft in my wife's 02 35th SS. The TSP Sleeper is a 220/220 581 581 on a 115. The car idles so close to stock that nobody knows it has a camshaft The car picked up something like 28-30rwhp with no other mods Another cool part is we offer them for $360 right now!!! I definately think you should put a little more camshaft in it than the LS6 cam...
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 06-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
you a4 or m6? i think you'd be hard pressed to pull 370rwhp with an ls6 cam with an auto. you can hit it with the m6, though i think the gt2-3, any 216 to 224 grind on a 114-115 will be better suited. the ls6 cam is great if you want a stock powerband with a bit more top end, gains of 20-50rwhp can be seen from 6k+. however if your looking for more power through out the entire powerband i'd look else where.

I agree here. With a M6 you could get there but probally not with a A4.
For the Z06 swaps I have seen there is normally a small difference until about 4500 when the 5-10 WRHP gain becomes a 1-15 HP gain and then around 5700 -6500 it becomes a 15-30HP gain. Most people see 20-30 peak fpr peak depending if you a A4 or M6.
Either way you will need a tune to get the most out of a cam swap.
The Z06 cam will make peak power around 6400 with stock heads. That means you rev limiter will be on before your peak power arrives w/o a tune.
I would do something a little bigger as well but there is defentially nothing wrong with the Z06 cam.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh yeah M6 i should have mentioned that before.

what are teh stock cam specs? Im th inking if i knew those i could better decide which way im gonna go.

Thanks for all the info fellas keep it coming!
Travis
Old 06-28-2004, 02:10 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

oh yeah M6 i should have mentioned that before.

what are teh stock cam specs? Im th inking if i knew those i could better decide which way im gonna go.

Thanks for all the info fellas keep it coming!
Travis
ls1info link in sig
Old 06-28-2004, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
The TSP Sleeper is a 220/220 581 581 on a 115. The car idles so close to stock that nobody knows it has a camshaft.
This looks nice. I'd use the TSP Sleeper or the King of Stealth LPE GT2-3. The LPE cams are expensive at $429 a crack compared to the TSP $360.

I've got a TR220 114 right now.