Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen III Direct Injection - I know the general conscience is no.. just have questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Gen III Direct Injection - I know the general conscience is no.. just have questions

So basically (I'm not trying to do this) I'm just trying to understand why it is not possible to convert an LS1, LQ4, LQ9, ect to a D.I. motor. I know that you would need direct injection heads. I also know there's some crazy stuff going on with the fuel system. Like 1,800 up to 3,000 PSI of fuel pressure :O - How is that even possible without the fuel line exploding? Are all D.I. cars pushing that kind of fuel pressure?

So lets say that you did manage to get the heads on your short block without too much of a hassle.. what other obstacles would there be?

What if you even just started off with a donor complete LT1 motor?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Being that you don't have a good understanding of direct injection, you should first gain a COMPLETE understanding of direct injection! You would have to complete the system besides the heads. So read up on this instead of asking questions like this here. This will answer all questions you may have on the subject.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How dare you come on here and ask a question about something other than
camshafts and heads, we only want to discuss our thoughts on cams and heads.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

The Gen V motors have two fuel pumps: an in-tank electric to deliver fuel to the motor and a camshaft-driven mechanical to deliver fuel to the cylinders. So, that second pump is going to be a hurdle to overcome since it is what brings those pressures to the needed levels.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing this wont greatly improve power in any way, and is extremely expensive.

However, running a DI injector in the intake runner (rather than in the chamber) in a sheet metal plenum would make GOBS of power. Given that you do injector angle and placement testing...

There's a reason most road race cars throw away the DI and go to a conventional injector setup.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't some 2013 to 2015 trucks come with gen IV blocks and direct injection heads?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by dckmn52
Doing this wont greatly improve power in any way, and is extremely expensive.

However, running a DI injector in the intake runner (rather than in the chamber) in a sheet metal plenum would make GOBS of power. Given that you do injector angle and placement testing...

There's a reason most road race cars throw away the DI and go to a conventional injector setup.
That wouldnt even be considered idi. Having an inj with that much pressure spraying on the back of a valve would be a bad idea. Esp in the intake tract. Even IDI spray into a ricardo cup or prechamber.

They use stainless steel hard line from the inj pump/rail to the injector. Its basically a gas powered diesel. Not only is piston design way different, but also compression ratio, and the afr/stoich the engine runs at. There is no way to do direct injection on a gen3 or 4 unless you find a belt driven injection pump thatll handle the output plus works with gas. Since diesel has alot of lubricity, it is used alot of the time to keep the internals of the pumps lubed and working right. Some have oil also. Gas would dry them out. Youd have to either have a self contained unit or fed with engine oil. You coukd try one off the front with a dizzy style front cover etc, but still have to lube it somehow and likely wouldn't work. Its not like swapping over a diesel from idi to di. They are already set up with inj pumps anyway.

If you want di...buy di engine.

Quick Reply: Gen III Direct Injection - I know the general conscience is no.. just have questions