Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help choose my heads/cam combo for road course duty

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll definitely update with my final decision and when I finally get it back on the track I'll share my thoughts.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
If your planning on road racing with SCCA or similar, make sure you read the rule book on the class you intend to run in. A small change in displacement can net you > 400 lb weight penalty.. (American Sedan has specific engine rules and parts requirements)

Just a thought I've seen quite a few folks very disappointed when they find out their 383 aint legal... Unless they go to SPO or GT* and those guys are pretty serious cars..
Not worried about rules...HPDE and NASA time trials will be it.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
I may be the odd man out on this but why not port and deck the factory heads? I'm very happy with my ancient 98' 806 heads ported by Advanced Induction. Phil decked the heads .075" (10.7:1 static compression) and the car made 410rwhp thru a fab 9", LS7 clutch, with an LS6 intake and a very similar cam to the one you mentioned above (228/232 - 59X/59X). My biggest take away from this setup is that the car really performs well under the curve. If budget is a big factor, it is worth considering.
Well...at the moment...i dont have any stock heads. Well I guess the ones onthe blown motor may be ok, but they have 178k miles so...i figure, if I'm gonna do heads, I'm gonna do the best I can afford.

Quick Reply: Help choose my heads/cam combo for road course duty