Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 LS1 Rear Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 LS1 Rear Oil Leak?

I just did a rear Main seal along with it I did a new slave cylinder pilot bearing clutch and flywheel. I'm still leaking quite a bit of oil on the ground and it's fresh oil (no dis-coloration) What should I be looking at?? Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

the first thing I check is the cam sensor o-ring.

then I crack loose the rear cover and make sure it sitting flush against the oil pan. snug the two long bolts up, then torque the rear cover in sequence.

last resort is the rear cover gasket. sometimes they just leak.

these leaks show up at the outer edges of the pan/rear cover as oil tends to creep along edges

if its coming from the center...gotta be that main seal
Old 05-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by truckdoug
the first thing I check is the cam sensor o-ring.

then I crack loose the rear cover and make sure it sitting flush against the oil pan. snug the two long bolts up, then torque the rear cover in sequence.

last resort is the rear cover gasket. sometimes they just leak.

these leaks show up at the outer edges of the pan/rear cover as oil tends to creep along edges

if its coming from the center...gotta be that main seal
hate this be this guy but how do I get to it? Or what's the location and would you happen to have any pictures? And yeah I do notice it around the edge as well..
Old 05-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Teching In

So I just turned my car on and moved it to a different parking space turned it off and it was leaking pretty steadily. So I have the car on and I'm underneath of it looking and the leak pretty much stops????
Old 05-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Looks like it's coming from the passenger side of the trans! I'm laying on the ground currently at work lol.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

cam sensor is on top of the motor, behind the intake. there is an o ring on the "second" level where it seals to the block.

that it's leaking with the motor off tells me that when it's running the oil fill level goes down enough so the leaking area is not under oil

my guess would be the pan rail is not seated all the way flush with the rear cover. the rear cover sits proud and creates a gap at the block/cover/pan junction. it's easy to crack it right there too, i've done it twice.

drain the oil. loosen the pan bolts and remove the two long bolts at the back of the pan to drop it down an 1/8th inch, loosen the cover bolts enough that you can pry it away an 1/8th inch. clean everything with acetone and air. squirt a lil rtv in there. tighten the pan back up snug including the two long bolts at the rear that go into the cover. tighten the cover to torque spec. tighten the pan to torque spec. its like 18ft lbs for the big ones and then 106 in/lbs for the long skinnies.

i did this on a work truck I got cheap because it pissed oil non stop. fixed it solid without pulling the motor. sold it the next day

Quick Reply: 2002 LS1 Rear Oil Leak?