Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed rods, now crank feels seized up

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
That's normal. Shouldn't be much more than 15ft-lbs to turn it over with the shortblock assembled.

The crank has a rolled fillet so it shouldn't really matter which way the rods or bearings are facing.

If it's really seizing up, then you may want to go back and make sure everything is clean and clearances are adequate. I clean everything with acetone on a paper towel before assembly. Any little dirt or debris behind the bearings can close up the clearances and cause it to seize.
Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Sounds to me like the big ends of those rods need to meet a sunnen hone machine I've seen rerorqued factory bolts distort the bore by as much as .001"
Pulled up GM spec with oil on threads and EPL under the bolt heads.
They needed a few honing strokes and were perfect in diameter specs and no need for the .002" over stuff.
Originally Posted by HappySalesman
The chamfered side of the big end of the rods should face to the outside. The crank may have a rolled fillet but never hurts to be sure.

one thing you might try is pop the pistons back out, then put them in one by one and see where the binding starts.
Originally Posted by truckdoug
after i dont know how may gen 3&4 motors I have yet to see one side of the rod chamfered more than the other.
Originally Posted by 5FOX3
Tear it all back apart and triple check everything, my L33 after assembly only took 12ft lbs to rotate it after assembly
Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Personally I install one pair at a time and rotate, if anything feels wrong I know which ones ARE PISSIN ME OFF!
Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi, the best tech was from "Happysalesman" with the ONLY remark that the rods where installed with "flats" to Journal Fillet. (backwards)

NOW if the "flats" can be observed, there IS a difference !

What is the rod Side Clearance ?

My method is the observe the rod "touch" each journal "flat" with a easy slide in BOTH directions.
The rods "kiss" each other AND each Journal.

When one rod is found NOT to "slide", the above "tech" is well noted.

Lance
Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
This is a serious problem... All rod and main bearings must have the correct clearance. Engine building 101. You will have problems on the first startup if this is not corrected.
so i may have spotted the issue. it looks like the rod caps got mixed up with the wrong rods. i thought i had removed them in a certain sequence but i can see slight gaps where it should be completely flush since these are all cracked rods. that can explain why some of the rods are clamping down a lot more than others. haven't had time to take it apart over the weekend but will definitely have to remove the pistons so that i can get a better view of which rod goes where.

is there a factory stamping anywhere on the cap and rod itself that i can match?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

sometimes there's a dot matrix laser etch with the batch # or the weight (im not sure)

best bet is to pull them and clean 'em up and match em by hand. it's like a jigsaw puzzle, they really only fit one way.

bummer about it is that you can deform them pretty badly by torquing them on wrong. pay attention to how they fit back up. you may need to use a hone stone to knock down any burrs...or even replace any that got dinged too badly.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Those rods now need to be discarded
If you torqued up the wrong caps on (not their original) rods, then they are now deformed and should be thrown the hell out.......
You have just learned the hard way that rod caps are specific to the rods
ALL RODS........not just fracture broke stuff.........ALL !!!!!!!!!!
additionally; do not attempt to find out which ones go where now because the fractured mating surfaces have now been compromised
Old 05-31-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

If you torqued up the wrong caps on (not their original) rods, then they are now deformed and should be thrown the hell out.......
additionally; do not attempt to find out which ones go where now because the fractured mating surfaces have now been compromised
This is true. If you want longevity and peace of mind, you need to replace these rods. Hard lesson. I must suggest that you purchase an LS engine building book. There are many subjects such as this issue that need to be handled with a high level of detail. Building a reliable engine is not hard to do but you need to possess the correct knowledge and tools.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
This is true. If you want longevity and peace of mind, you need to replace these rods. Hard lesson. I must suggest that you purchase an LS engine building book. There are many subjects such as this issue that need to be handled with a high level of detail. Building a reliable engine is not hard to do but you need to possess the correct knowledge and tools.
might be a good idea. it was a dumb mistake but i should have labeled them instead of just place them on the bench in a certain sequence. i've been going off of youtube and this is actually the 2nd LS motor i've put together. the first one was a bit more forgiving though as i was putting it together using the same exact parts because all I did was replace all the bearings in my garage. this current engine is more of a frankenstein with new mains and internals and such.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like you just mixed up two caps. IF... that is the case then you should be ok swapping out just those two rods. It should be pretty obvious if any other caps were installed on the wrong rod. If there is any doubt beyond those two rod/caps then toss em all. If it were me, I'd toss them all and start fresh. Good luck! You'll get it all worked out.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:32 AM
Teching In

we are back in business
Attached Thumbnails installed rods, now crank feels seized up-1136x1136.jpg  

Quick Reply: installed rods, now crank feels seized up