Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusing retainers from Patriot valve springs kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reusing retainers from Patriot valve springs kit?

I have Patriot Dual Valve Springs and I was planning on replacing them. Can anyone confirm if I can buy Brian tooley platinum springs and reuse by retainers?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 185 Posts

Yes you can usr the tooley rets but if yours arent worn, you can reuse them also. the tooley arent meant for the super7 pat lock so use the corresponding lock for the ret. tooley rets use stock locks
Old 06-01-2017, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Yes you can usr the tooley rets but if yours arent worn, you can reuse them also. the tooley arent meant for the super7 pat lock so use the corresponding lock for the ret. tooley rets use stock locks
I believe he's asking if he can reuse the retainers from the patriot kit..? I'd say no, as I tried to do the same exact thing and the retainers have different id, the patriot retainers are smaller inside diameter (very small difference) but enough, and I believe the springs were able to move about and the valve seals kept getting chewed up, changed over to the Tooley seats, locks and retainers and it was fixed.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would get the .660 Platinum's with Titanium retainers and use that. Unless you can confirm the other retainers are identical, I wouldn't risk it.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

You definitely can reuse the Patriot ti retainers with the BTR 660 springs. Plenty do it.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 185 Posts

^ for a very good if not less talked about reason.
If the retainer was that loose in the spring then the retainers were worn. Most people dont realize how soft titanium is. Alot of the time it is polished then coated. Why do you think ti valves either have lash caps or a hard steel tip? The rocker arm would literally rub the top off and it would fall down go boom. Ive seen it happen first hand. The steel rets are less popular but they are just as strong in most instances and less prone to wear like ti they just normally arent as light.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
^ for a very good if not less talked about reason.
If the retainer was that loose in the spring then the retainers were worn. Most people dont realize how soft titanium is. Alot of the time it is polished then coated. Why do you think ti valves either have lash caps or a hard steel tip? The rocker arm would literally rub the top off and it would fall down go boom. Ive seen it happen first hand. The steel rets are less popular but they are just as strong in most instances and less prone to wear like ti they just normally arent as light.
interesting...can't say I've heard of a single person having that issue after making the swap. All my stuff looked great when I did springs and reused the ti retainers and super 7 locks.

Quick Reply: Reusing retainers from Patriot valve springs kit?