Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jp billet timing set caused engine damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The area that sticks above the bearing is sharp, and doesn't look like it's designed to be touching anything. I'm glad yours isn't like mine.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Portworks
The pic was 2 days ago.
The seller is getting with the vendor asap.
The shitty part is the extremely reputable well known seller is only going to refund the cost of the defective gear set, and sell me everything else I need to replace at their cost. Feels like a punch in the gut.

wow talk about a stand up shop.
pm me who it is so i dont buy from them
Old 06-19-2017, 04:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The pic was 2 days ago.
The seller is getting with the vendor asap.
The shitty part is the extremely reputable well known seller is only going to refund the cost of the defective gear set, and sell me everything else I need to replace at their cost. Feels like a punch in the gut.
The only punch in the gut is you not checking your own clearances and blaming others for it.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Every clearance that is adjustable was set. And yes maybe I should have checked things more closely.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Every clearance that is adjustable was set. And yes maybe I should have checked things more closely.
In your defense, that isn't something that is usually off. FWIW, you can check the camshaft endolay the same as you could crankshaft endplay, or thrust, but it could have been acceptable even if you did check.

On the bright side, it looks to be a pretty easy clean up though. At least most of your parts are intact and you're not having to buy a whole new block and/or rotating assembly.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Yes, I'm just glad I checked it when I dumped the oil or it would have been much worse later on.
Thanks for all of the input.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the WS6 rep needs a hug.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 237 Likes on 183 Posts

From Scarlett Johansson please!

I deal with customers all day, some are nice, some are mad, some are stubborn, some are not, but having a vendor/sponsor on here that does what i have seen recently and not so recently, i will not put up with. We are nice guys here and we have fun and joke around and such, but constantly having issues like that rubs me the wrong way. I am not even going out of my way to troll every thread he is on either.
If you want a straight answer ask us. If you need tech support ask us. Im usually up answering emails til 1 and on here and tech calls way past normal closing time. We always try to take care of our customers or even people that are not our customers any way we can.
Our business is our livelihood and only our customers keep our business going, so get give the best info we can quickly but also bust the bs.
Maybe sugar coating things would work better, ill have to try that some day.
Otherwise, carry on!

Tell Ms Johansson that we are having an open house Aug 5th and we will set up a hugging booth.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Lets get some things straight Lance.

The reason they may have said its not the reason for failure is due to that oil being filtered before it gets to the main bearings.
From the pickup it goes to the pump, then down the galley and splits between the barbell restrictor and the oil filter then Ts back together after and feeds the cam bore first then goes down to the main bearings.

To the Op, sorry your engine is having issues. I know the feeling first hand!
WS6store,
I think you know about our Precision Fit Barbell from the other post you were involved in about oil pressure. Thanks for your input on that.
The issue the OP has with the bearings is the same issue we had but from a different cause that lead us to start looking into how the metal particles could be getting into the bearings, when all the oil should be going through the filter. Come to find out the system has a couple minor leaks that allow unfiltered oil into the bearings, lifters etc. That is how and why we developed the new Barbell and the Bypass delete to help eliminate this, what we feel is a over looked problem.
If anyone interested in keeping the unfiltered oil out here is a link that has more info and videos.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-this-out.html

Thanks
Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!

Quick Reply: jp billet timing set caused engine damage