Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ls engine build

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ls engine build

im building my first ls1 engine for a 98 z28. Looking for any advice anyone can give me. I have it down to the short block now. Crank has some markings so it's going to be turned. Planning on going with some callies h beam rods, and looking for a piston that will hold a 250 shot comfortably. Also planning on going with a trickflow 220 as cast head. Wanting to up the compression to around 11:1. Have a vrx5 cam that's going in it also. Any suggestions for pistons or for the rest of the build?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wiseco makes a very nice piston for just about any application. Apparently most claim that you don't want to go out to 3.908" on the early blocks but rather 3.903" or 3.905". Something about thinner sleeves. Not sure how true but something to research for sure
I would definitely get the crank rebalanced after it's ground as the weight of the new pistons/rods will be different than the stock stuff
Old 06-22-2017, 12:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Forged piston with the rings gappped for N20 and I think you have a real nice build in progress
Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

We have any and all of those parts and the best price on those tfs220s.

Send me an email of your goals and build ideas etc and we can get you a complete package price!!

Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com
Old 06-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by big hammer
Forged piston with the rings gappped for N20 and I think you have a real nice build in progress
Do you think I also need to gas port the pistons? Ive been looking into this and can't find a solid answer. It's gonna be a mostly street driven car with some time at the track
Old 06-22-2017, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
We have any and all of those parts and the best price on those tfs220s.

Send me an email of your goals and build ideas etc and we can get you a complete package price!!

Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com
sounds good I'll shoot you an email, thanks!
Old 06-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Wiseco makes a very nice piston for just about any application. Apparently most claim that you don't want to go out to 3.908" on the early blocks but rather 3.903" or 3.905". Something about thinner sleeves. Not sure how true but something to research for sure
I would definitely get the crank rebalanced after it's ground as the weight of the new pistons/rods will be different than the stock stuff
I'm gonna try to go with 3.903 this time just in case I ever have to hone again I can go with 3.905. Will I need to get anything else done while I'm at the machine shop? Like getting the block decker or anything?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton Barrett
Do you think I also need to gas port the pistons? Ive been looking into this and can't find a solid answer. It's gonna be a mostly street driven car with some time at the track
No, definitely not on a street car.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
No, definitely not on a street car.
Sounds good I appreciate the info
Old 06-22-2017, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

First time builders ALWAYS overthink and usually overbuy. Get the parts and get it done or you may get stuck wandering off in left field. Put it together and have fun, dont sweat the small stuff.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton Barrett
I'm gonna try to go with 3.903 this time just in case I ever have to hone again I can go with 3.905. Will I need to get anything else done while I'm at the machine shop? Like getting the block decker or anything?
decking the block just to square it up is nice. Creates a flat surface for the head gasket to seal but also parallels each bank to the crankshaft centerline. Check that the shop performing said operation has a BHJ block true fixture. I've seen plenty of "know it all" shops **** up this very simple procedure
Don't let them talk you into a line hone unless the block ACTUALLY needs it
Again; stool sample idiots will ruin a good block in no time flat if they're not good at this step as well.....
Old 06-24-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Diamond does make some great pistons designed for Nitrous or can spec them how you would like them.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

First time builders ALWAYS overthink and usually overbuy. Get the parts and get it done or you may get stuck wandering off in left field. Put it together and have fun, dont sweat the small stuff.
I can attest to this... my first motor build and it's costing me a fortune...

Then again, there is something to be said about "Do it once, do it right"
Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Maybe it would be better phrased as "build it once, build it to your budget and expectations"
You dont have to buy the most expensive, the unobtainium, the most gimmicky parts out there. Getting lost in left field is so east as well as spending money with no return.
The biggest issue we have as vendors is trying to guide our customers, esp when they start out with "well i read on the internet". You are coming to us as professionals, if you put your trust in us, youll hardly be let down. I def dont want to spend all of my customers money, and we def want return customers.
I am on here til all hours and answer emails til all hours and even help customers that arent ours because i love this niche. Its not just a hobby or a job. I am here to support the community and have fun.
If you come to us with a parts list, we will sell it to you. I make suggestions of course, and most of the time they are in the same price budget or we have a better proven option that works.
Ws6store and rpmspeed arent JUST parts sales. We install and tune as well, so we know what does and does not work.

So often we get these enormous builds that are so expensive for no real reason. Youve gotta cut through the bs and gimmicks and get down to what you expect. Just because you can budget 10k+ doesnt mean you have to blow your wad all at once.
That being said, i dont like ebay or amazon, and doing things cheap with chinese parts is not what we do. We want our customers happy and our products to last. Customer loyalty is hard to come by lately, so we try to make sure all of our customers are happy. Most i even check in with once a week or so even.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're getting some good advice there. Let me know if you have any questions. Regards, TrickFlowTech
Old 07-06-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe it would be better phrased as "build it once, build it to your budget and expectations"
You dont have to buy the most expensive, the unobtainium, the most gimmicky parts out there. Getting lost in left field is so east as well as spending money with no return.
The biggest issue we have as vendors is trying to guide our customers, esp when they start out with "well i read on the internet". You are coming to us as professionals, if you put your trust in us, youll hardly be let down. I def dont want to spend all of my customers money, and we def want return customers.
I am on here til all hours and answer emails til all hours and even help customers that arent ours because i love this niche. Its not just a hobby or a job. I am here to support the community and have fun.
If you come to us with a parts list, we will sell it to you. I make suggestions of course, and most of the time they are in the same price budget or we have a better proven option that works.
Ws6store and rpmspeed arent JUST parts sales. We install and tune as well, so we know what does and does not work.

So often we get these enormous builds that are so expensive for no real reason. Youve gotta cut through the bs and gimmicks and get down to what you expect. Just because you can budget 10k+ doesnt mean you have to blow your wad all at once.
That being said, i dont like ebay or amazon, and doing things cheap with chinese parts is not what we do. We want our customers happy and our products to last. Customer loyalty is hard to come by lately, so we try to make sure all of our customers are happy. Most i even check in with once a week or so even.
It's like trying to separate Fly **** from black pepper. You guys bprovide a great service and product line...

Quick Reply: First ls engine build