Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Oil Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Oil Pressure Question

Ok this is what i have, this is a fresh build, LQ9 block, standard crank, rods and wiseco pistons, machine shop checked the crank and all it needed was polishing, they supplied the bearings, all standard size, it has a pump from Precision oil pumps, the medium volume version, double row chain with the oil pump spacers, Cam Motion solid roller cam with Morel 4737 lifters, Cold start idle oil pressure is at 45-50, fully warmed up < about 205 engine temp, oil pressure is at 32-35, the problem comes when the rpm's are raised, the oil pressure might go up 5 pounds at the most, just stays at 32-35, this is what i done so far, pulled the pan, checked the pickup 0 ring, it had a small section on it that looked like it had rolled and pinched a little bit, removed the oil pump and timing chain, installed a new cam retainer, pan had some small metal particles in it, then i saw where the pump was rubbing the timing chain even with the spacers, so I'm guessing thats where the metal came from,, clearanced the pump then completely dissembled the pump to check for a possible stuck relief valve, found nothing wrong with it, installed the pump, sealed the pump spacer plates, while the pan was off i can see that the rear barbell was in place, put everything back together, might have gained a few pounds more but the pressure still does not rise with rpm's, before i pull the engine, Advise needed...., I'm also feeding a S480 turbo from the plate on side the pan thru a 6AN hose, no restrictor. HELP
Old 06-28-2017, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

What shape is the turbo bearing in? A 6AN hose can pass a lot of oil if there is low restriction on the other end. A turbo needs a lot of oil, but should pose enough of a restriction so as not to endanger the oil supply to the rest of the engine
Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
What shape is the turbo bearing in? A 6AN hose can pass a lot of oil if there is low restriction on the other end. A turbo needs a lot of oil, but should pose enough of a restriction so as not to endanger the oil supply to the rest of the engine
The turbo is new, besides one trip just a few blocks down the street just to see if the oil pressure would rise under a load, it didn't , the whole setup only have idle time.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

I still wonder if too much oil is going to the turbo. I will be first to admit total ignorance on how a turbo oil system needs to be done. I just know it needs oil, and a good way to drain it back. I know how it is done on a diesel. That's it. You probably know whether it needs a restrictor or not. I hope this mystery gets solved! You need to start having some fun with this setup! Best wishes!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Before i pull the engine, one last thing i want to try is capping off the oil supply to the turbo just to compare pressure differences with and without the turbo inline.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

polished crank with stock clearance bearings maybe? Allows more flow but less pressure? I have a similar issue with my motor.. Hot idle i'd get to around 25-28 and maybe hit 45-50 at WOT.. Cold start idle it is around 45 and over 50 lightly cruising.. Once warmed up it doesn't really climb like it should at WOT, but its within spec.. My motor was also rebuild, and aftermarket bearings were used. I just recently went from 5w30 to 10w40 oil and gained 5-10 psi maybe but still need to verify on a hot day. My thoughts are the clearances are different in the motor than they used to be... i am rolling with it because i've had multiple people give me the thumbs up, but i'm not a huge fan. I did the billet oil barbell, new cam retainer plate, and new oil pump and o-ring. If you figure out something i'd be curious to see what you find, even though i'm non-turbo. I still have not verfied mine with a mechanical gauge and the sensor has 130k on it but it was reading normal before the heads and cam swap.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Today or tomorrow ill know for sure if its the turbo, my next check would be the solid lifters bleeding off too much oil pressure, not sure if its a test for them besides solid push rods, lol
Old 06-30-2017, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Well its not the turbo, didn't gain a pound of pressure with the turbo oil feed line plugged, Any suggestions before i pull the engine??
Old 07-01-2017, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Lightbulb Yes...

Originally Posted by turbodarryl
Well its not the turbo, didn't gain a pound of pressure with the turbo oil feed line plugged, Any suggestions before i pull the engine??
Shim the pump relief spring and retest.

Also, I use a second bolt/girdle on the pump pickup.
The last install,, I found the pump p/u tube support brace was twisting the tube. I "clearanced it", and all was well.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

with a double row chain you need to slot the pickup mount at the windage tray so the tube centers nicely in the pump.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, the pan is pretty easy to get off so ill shim the relief spring and check the pickup alignment again this week., any more suggestions let me know....
Old 07-03-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My long tunes were only about 2 inches away from the oil filter and really messed up my oil Temps and hot oil pressure. My oil Temps also messed with the oil pressure readings and the switch wouldn't register the correct pressure until I let off the throttle
Old 07-03-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam Motion solid roller cam with Morel 4737 lifters
How much clearance between lifter OD and Bores?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any luck on this? Curious to see what you find.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brobinson216
How much clearance between lifter OD and Bores?
im not sure, I never checked that.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Any luck on this? Curious to see what you find.
i haven't had time lately to mess with it but considering I already had the pan off 2 times, I'm going after the rear cover gasket next, I didn't replace it, it could be leaking internally bleeding off my pressure, going to try an replace it this coming weekend. Any thoughts??
Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
My long tunes were only about 2 inches away from the oil filter
my exhaust is nowhere near the filter, I'm using forward facing headers for the turbo.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure, I never checked that.
.0004" additional clearance on my LS2 resulted in 10-12psi loss.

Given the fact my block is aluminum exaggerated my pressure loss.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

If i have to pull the engine for further inspection, i will definitely get the machine shop to check the clearance.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Given the fact my block is aluminum exaggerated my pressure loss.
What was the cause for the additional clearance? The size of the lifters in general? What lifters and what PSI do you have when at operating temp? Do you run it this way or did you make changes to correct it?

Quick Reply: Another Oil Pressure Question