Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 valve guide core reamer

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 valve guide core reamer

Here's a question for the machinists on the forum. I'm putting LS valves in an old set of SBC heads, and I cannot find the proper core reamer to do this. Stock LS valve guides are .500" OD, whereas SBC valve guides are typically .502". I'm looking for a core reamer around .498" (or 12.65mm) to get .002" press-fit, but I cannot find one anywhere. I am assuming that this size isn't used often after the initial build, because any issue with the guides would cause someone to go to a bigger OD guide. I made the mistake and assumed the guides would fit, but after I drilled the .500" hole the new LS guide pushed right through by hand. I'll be going oversized on that one, but it would be nice to use cheap off-the-shelf valve guides for these LS valve-train swaps. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:26 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

When I've seen it done, usually the integral iron guides are left alone and a K-Liner is used to reduce the ID for the 8mm valves.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Teching In

The liners are a good way to do it, but I didn't want to spend the $500 for the install kit. I don't know how many of these I'll do, so I was hoping I could just pick up a $100 reamer and call it good.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Will this one work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Threaded-Rea...QAAOSwBahVXTso
Old 07-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Teching In

I don't know if that reamer will work, but for $15 shipped I just went ahead and bought it. I also grabbed some Dodge valve guides that are 5/16" ID and .502" OD (Sealed Power# VG5042). Hopefully I can figure out a decent conversion, because I also have a set of LT1 heads to put LS1 valves in.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure what you need or what you are asking.
You reamed out the sbc head to 0.500", instead of 0.498"
On the dodge valve guides make sure they are the correct length.

Stampede.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:10 AM
Teching In

I was asking if anyone knows of where I could get a .498" piloted reamer for the OEM LS valve guides. The common head tooling companies do not carry it. I'm assuming that GM must buy custom tooling, because it doesn't seem to exist. I did just buy a .498" guide reamer for airplane engines, but I'll have to spend an afternoon on the lathe the make a holder for it. As far as the Dodge valve guides, they are the normal .502" OD and longer than LS guides, so I'll install them, cut them to size, and ream to 8mm ID. When all is said and done, I might be kicking myself for not just forking out the money and getting the liner install kit. I figured getting tooling for OEM LS valve guides was easier.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Default K- liners

Its more hassle doing it your way but is a better out come in the end. I don't care for liners myself.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoarder's Garage
I was asking if anyone knows of where I could get a .498" piloted reamer for the OEM LS valve guides. The common head tooling companies do not carry it. I'm assuming that GM must buy custom tooling, because it doesn't seem to exist. I did just buy a .498" guide reamer for airplane engines, but I'll have to spend an afternoon on the lathe the make a holder for it. As far as the Dodge valve guides, they are the normal .502" OD and longer than LS guides, so I'll install them, cut them to size, and ream to 8mm ID. When all is said and done, I might be kicking myself for not just forking out the money and getting the liner install kit. I figured getting tooling for OEM LS valve guides was easier.
Check with Clymer reamers, they will make you whatever you want-need...

Quick Reply: LS1 valve guide core reamer