Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on what I should rebuild and what I should leave alone.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice on what I should rebuild and what I should leave alone.

I recently bought a used engine from a 98 Trans Am. It has been sitting for 2 years but it has some head work done, a Joe Overton Cam, and an LS6 intake. I started looking over the motor and everything was looking good until I pulled the intake manifold and found this mess:

A buddy of mine said it was electrolysis. It ate up a good bit of the valley pan and the heads off the inner head bolts as well. I decided to pull the heads to make sure it didn't eat into the mating surface of the heads and the block. Everything seems to be ok with the heads as far as I can tell. Some of the crap from the valley pan fell onto the cam lobes so I am going to have to pull the cam and clean it. This is the current oil pump and timing set:

Should I swap to a higher pressure/volume pump and a double roller timing set while I'm in here?

Cylinder walls look good, rollers look good. When cleaning off the old gasket some of it fell into the water jackets and the cylinders themselves. What's the best way to get them cleaned out?

And last this is what the heads looked like after pulling them but before removing the gasket material.

I am open to all advice on what I should do with this motor.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Too bad Photobucket is screwing everyone over lately...
Would be nice to see the pics...
Old 09-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Didn't realize that was happening. I sent you a PM. If you are able to help I can email or text you the pictures.
Maybe this will work... My account is public...
http://s843.photobucket.com/user/cdi...?sort=3&page=1
Old 09-09-2017, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

I would say if the corrosion ate away too much of any sealing surface or bolt holes, replace that part. Clean and reuse what looks good.
I went to P/bucket, but too many ads kept getting in the way. VERY hard to deal with. I hope they go out of business.
Any salvageable parts, keep and clean up, also replace any gaskets/seals. You might have more damage then originally seen, but you never know. A full teardown will tell you what is going on.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

1st off we have every gasket and bolt you need. The stock head bolts are 1 time use only anyway.

2nd surface the heads and call it good, then use new valve stem seals either reg ones or any that come in a set of dual springs.

The bores look fine and cam looks fine.

Dont use a double row timing set. a single is fine. we have billet hd sets for $85. a reg or high pressure pump will work fine also. we have our std hi flo pump for $70 or ported for $90 or a melling hd high pressure for $125.

If the lifters look fine and are lowish miles then they are ok.

Buy head gaskets that match your head castings.

Check the bearings but looks like they might be ok. If you are looking at upgrading rod bolts (the 98s are weak) then make sure the machine shop hones the big end bore after installing the bolts. Its 100% necessary

A complete gasket and bolt kit with new hd precision billet barbell runs $320 shipped. You wont find a better deal on a more complete kit anywhere. For more info email me

Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com
Old 09-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Damnit, I already ordered everything from rockauto. When I pullrd the pan I found ARP rod bolts. If i can cancel my rockauto order i will reach out to you.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Teching In

I just emailed you.

Quick Reply: Need advice on what I should rebuild and what I should leave alone.