Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cam whines and has heat marks in the lobes, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018 | 05:04 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
X2. Two 5/16” long wooden dowels rods from your local arts and crafts store for about a dollar. I like to put oil on them then insert them into the motor through the two holes behind the cam retainer plate. Works like a charm. Not a bad idea to first rotate the cam so the lifters are up in their bores a little bit.

Found this pic on google which illustrates what I’m describing:
You can also get the wooden dowels from Lowes or home depot in case you don't have any arts and craft local.
Old 02-14-2018 | 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

I wanted to provide a final update. I have said a number of negative things towards COMP Cams and I feel that I should set the record straight. I have made COMP aware of the issues that I experienced with both cams and they have made things right with me. I am very satisfied in the agreement that we came to and can honestly say that they stand behind their products. Bottom line is...**** happens and what separate the good companies from the shitty ones is how the issues are handled. COMP Cams did the right thing. They handled everything in a very stand-up fashion and I respect them for it. I have no ill will towards them and will continue to do future business.
Old 02-14-2018 | 04:38 PM

I wanted to provide a final update. I have said a number of negative things towards COMP Cams and I feel that I should set the record straight. I have made COMP aware of the issues that I experienced with both cams and they have made things right with me. I am very satisfied in the agreement that we came to and can honestly say that they stand behind their products. Bottom line is...**** happens and what separate the good companies from the shitty ones is how the issues are handled. COMP Cams did the right thing. They handled everything in a very stand-up fashion and I respect them for it. I have no ill will towards them and will continue to do future business.
VERY cool of you to post that up. I'm glad that they did make it right by an unsatisfied customer.
Old 02-14-2018 | 07:24 PM
ModSquad
10 Year Member

Stealth, it takes a big man to speak such words. I appreciate you posting this, and I’m glad you got everything sorted out with your car, and with Comp.
Old 02-14-2018 | 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Sounds like some stand-up guys at Comp! Glad things got resolved.
Only thing is (here it comes....) the problem should never have arisen TO THE DEGREE it did. Everyone has quality issues on occasion, but this was more wide-spread (at least to hear it on these forums) than it should have been, and should have been addressed sooner than it did. Oh well....

Quick Reply: New cam whines and has heat marks in the lobes, thoughts?