Sponsored by:

Question about King SI bearing series

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about King SI bearing series

Hey guys,
I'm rebuilding a 5.3L LM4, and just got the crank machined. I was looking at buying some bearings to use in the rebuild, and I see a lot of mention about using Clevite P series. Mains I believe were ~$90 or so, and $30 or so for the rod bearings. These are tri-metal, and look nice.
On the other side, I see a full set of King bearings, SI series, at $50 for rod and main bearings. These appear to be aluminum and silicon.
Crank is stock. Plans for the car, is running a TSP 228R cam and an LS6 intake. Also having the heads milled .030" to try and get compression up.
Car will be occasionally tracked (Probably autocross or road race), but mostly street driven, on nice weekends.
I've read lots of people saying King bearings were good, and they suggest them. The price difference has me really guessing what I need. My HP goals aren't massive. Not trying to break records or rev the car to the moon.

So.... suggestions? Part of me leans to the .... 'you get what you pay for', but... it could also be that the P-series are meant for more race type applications, and I don't know if my application qualifies as that. It will be raced on occasion, but it won't normally be.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default King Bearings

Hi, I would fit King Race Bearings for the RODS .0032".
I would fit the King SI mains .002"-.0022".

Lance
Old 11-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Pantera EFI!
I am confused by the measurements you gave at the end, but the series to grab makes sense. My machinist said to grab 10 undersized. I am guessing this mean .010" undersized. He actually stated 10/10. 10 main, 10 rod I believe.
So, I am looking at XP series rod bearings, and SI main bearings.
While I'm here, any suggestion for cam bearing? I figure I'll just stick with King. I see BB and HP. My gut says maybe go for the $50 HP. I see the BB at around $30 for OE, but for $20 extra... get a more race oriented bearing?
I really appreciate the input! Can't wait to start building the engine up.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Dura-Bond High-Performance Coated Bearings CHP-23T cam bearings.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:12 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7TyreBurna
Thanks Pantera EFI!
I am confused by the measurements you gave at the end, but the series to grab makes sense. My machinist said to grab 10 undersized. I am guessing this mean .010" undersized. He actually stated 10/10. 10 main, 10 rod I believe.
So, I am looking at XP series rod bearings, and SI main bearings.
While I'm here, any suggestion for cam bearing? I figure I'll just stick with King. I see BB and HP. My gut says maybe go for the $50 HP. I see the BB at around $30 for OE, but for $20 extra... get a more race oriented bearing?
I really appreciate the input! Can't wait to start building the engine up.
If your crank is already machined for .010" under bearings, you don't have a lot of options to get the clearance you want. Most of the cheap bearings are meant to be stock replacement so they come in limited sizes and you're pretty much stuck with whatever clearance you get. Your machinist should at least be able to tell you if he ground the crank to the low or high end of the spec.

I forget what company makes them, but there are .009" and .011" under bearing sizes available, but they're the more expensive race bearings. In the future, if I'm grinding a crank I will get bearings first, measure, then tell my machinist what to grind the crank to. You'll avoid a lot of trial and error to get the clearance right.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Great! Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Question about King SI bearing series