Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with cam install

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with cam install

Hey y'all, currently in the middle of a cam swap for my LS1 Camaro and I accidentally made a mistake. Looking for some assistance.

I installed the cam, measured for proper pushrod length etc. then finally got to the point where I installed the rocker arms and pushrods and torqued the rockers down to spec. I followed the GM service manual procedure for the proper way to torque down the rockers. All was well until a little later when I was wrapping up the rest of the install and I noticed that I forgot to install the rocker stand on the passenger side. I must have been moving too quick and I forgot this key component. I have since removed all rockers and pushrods and figured I would start over the rocker torquing process. Here's where I noticed an issue: On the passenger side which is the side where I forgot to install the rocker stand, I can see that a couple of the valve stems aren't level with the rest, these couple valve stems are basically a little low in comparison. My assumption here is that a couple of the valves aren't fully shut because without the rocker stand the springs were probably binding when the rockers were torqued down. I hooked up my air compressor hose to the spark plug hole for one of the cylinders so I could remove the springs associated with that cylinder and with hopes that it would push the valves up. However, I am not getting any pressure when I hook up the air hose, the air just blows through, which unfortunately doesn't surprise me. For good measure, I hooked up my air hose to one of the spark plug holes on the driver's side and it builds pressure as it should. I took the risk and removed one of the springs on the passenger side and the valve did not drop and I am able to open and close the valve with my hand but even with it closed it is still not level with some of the other valve stems. I am so confused here and I am just not quite sure where to go from here. How do I go about getting a couple of these valves to fully close? Did I mess anything up? My car has factory stock 243 heads so no work have ever been done to them.

edit: Here is a pic, notice the valve stem on the left sits a touch lower than the one on the right
Attached Thumbnails Issue with cam install-f53d9bda-329a-411b-bc97-48167c1ccb0b.jpeg  

Last edited by IggyLS; 12-03-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by IggyLS
Hey y'all, currently in the middle of a cam swap for my LS1 Camaro and I accidentally made a mistake. Looking for some assistance.

I installed the cam, measured for proper pushrod length etc. then finally got to the point where I installed the rocker arms and pushrods and torqued the rockers down to spec. I followed the GM service manual procedure for the proper way to torque down the rockers. All was well until a little later when I was wrapping up the rest of the install and I noticed that I forgot to install the rocker stand on the passenger side. I must have been moving too quick and I forgot this key component. I have since removed all rockers and pushrods and figured I would start over the rocker torquing process. Here's where I noticed an issue: On the passenger side which is the side where I forgot to install the rocker stand, I can see that a couple of the valve stems aren't level with the rest, these couple valve stems are basically a little low in comparison. My assumption here is that a couple of the valves aren't fully shut because without the rocker stand the springs were probably binding when the rockers were torqued down. I hooked up my air compressor hose to the spark plug hole for one of the cylinders so I could remove the springs associated with that cylinder and with hopes that it would push the valves up. However, I am not getting any pressure when I hook up the air hose, the air just blows through, which unfortunately doesn't surprise me. For good measure, I hooked up my air hose to one of the spark plug holes on the driver's side and it builds pressure as it should. I took the risk and removed one of the springs on the passenger side and the valve did not drop and I am able to open and close the valve with my hand but even with it closed it is still not level with some of the other valve stems. I am so confused here and I am just not quite sure where to go from here. How do I go about getting a couple of these valves to fully close? Did I mess anything up? My car has factory stock heads so no work have ever been done to them.
Torque the pass side back down. do not install valve covers or cool packs or intake even for that matter.
Turn the engine over quite a few times by hand via crank bolt. If it all looks ok there, take fuel pump relay out and crank it over with starter. That should get evrrything well seated and back to normal. Then check again. Highly unlikely youll even make an oil mess really.
That's what I would do.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Torque the pass side back down. do not install valve covers or cool packs or intake even for that matter.
Turn the engine over quite a few times by hand via crank bolt. If it all looks ok there, take fuel pump relay out and crank it over with starter. That should get evrrything well seated and back to normal. Then check again. Highly unlikely youll even make an oil mess really.
That's what I would do.
TY, I will try that now!
Old 12-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Valves probbly bent sorry to say, take head off and check everything.
Much cheaper and easier than replacing whole engine,
Old 12-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Ok, so I installed the pushrods and rockers on the passenger side and torqued them to spec. I then pulled the fuel pump fuses and cranked the motor and everything sounded ok. I let the motor turn for several revolutions. Pulled the rockers off and two of the damn valve stems are still looking to be a touch low and it appears that there’s one that may be a touch high. I hooked up the air hose to one of the cylinders on the passenger side and still no pressure.

I was afraid of bent valves and this is what I’m thinking right now. I was hoping since I only spun the motor by hand before noticing my mistake that it wouldn’t be enough to bend them. If it is bent valves, the worst part is these are the discontinued factory LS6 valves since I have stock C5 Z06 heads that I put on the car. Not sure how I would find replacement valves.

Last edited by IggyLS; 12-03-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 243 Likes on 185 Posts

It may just be bad seat concentricity also. remove head and check em.
Normally youll try to roll on flat surface or chuck in a drill and spin em if you dont have fancy equipment could be a seat issue also or guide.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Look for marks on the pistons when you pull the head off .
Dosent take much to bend a hollow stem valve, srry bud.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by john stewart
Valves probbly bent sorry to say, take head off and check everything.
Much cheaper and easier than replacing whole engine,
This^^^^^^^

Without the stand you likely depressed the valve too far. You should also check your valve seals for damage. Remove the rockers on those cylinders, put some air in through the spark plug hole and see if it just blows out.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:42 PM

I pulled the passenger side head today and sure enough I've got bent valves. All 8 valves made contact with the pistons, some worse than others and all 8 are bent. The guides and seals look good so far. In addition, a few if not all of the pushrods are bent just a hair. Now the challenge is going to be finding genuine LS6 hollow/sodium filled valves. Anyone got any or know where I could find some?

Last edited by IggyLS; 12-04-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Teching In

bent valves
Old 12-05-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Originally Posted by ben42391
bent valves
Is there an echo?? lol

Quick Reply: Issue with cam install