Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam for C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
But take a look at what op wants to do......wants a cam then don't want to shift over 6500 rpm. To be blunt that's a fucked up stupid dumbass motherfucking idea right from the beginning. No offense

Especially when he shpuld already be shifting higher than that.
That entirely depends what he's actually using the car for. A Z06 is good for more than drag racing and peak dyno numbers. I think the OP's goal is improved power through the midrange for more conservative driving with the lopey appeal at idle. He's not looking for a cam that revs to the moon because that's not how he intends to drive it. At least that was my interpretation.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
That entirely depends what he's actually using the car for. A Z06 is good for more than drag racing and peak dyno numbers. I think the OP's goal is improved power through the midrange for more conservative driving with the lopey appeal at idle. He's not looking for a cam that revs to the moon because that's not how he intends to drive it. At least that was my interpretation.
The OP wants to put a cam in the car that needs more rpm then he wants to use. He really needs to reevaluate this and pick a cam that works with his goals and overall combination. The 228r 112 peaks at 64-6500rpm. The 224r peaks at 6200rpm. So if you plan on shifting at 6500rpm, the 224r is the right cam for the job. If he is willing to spin it out to 6800, the 228r would be solid.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

To be blunt that's a fucked up stupid dumbass motherfucking idea right from the beginning. No offense

Always "candy coating" your TRUE feelings.............
Old 12-07-2017, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 438 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Rev to the moon?? What does that even mean? What is moon revving? Like i said i shift at 6900 with the stock ls6 cam. Really i only shifted there because the limiter was at 7k..... it's at 7300 now . So am i near the moon with a stock cam?? I think not

As far as I'm concerned op is quite a ways from needing a cam. Or even wanting one really. The idea here is to improve acceleration......which is useful and desirable in any car. Not just drag cars.

Realistically what needs to happen here for better acceleration is more tq/quicker revving. Some 3.90 gears and a good light clutch will do way more than any of the cams mentioned in that particular engine/car for improved acceleration

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
The OP wants to put a cam in the car that needs more rpm then he wants to use. He really needs to reevaluate this and pick a cam that works with his goals and overall combination. The 228r 112 peaks at 64-6500rpm. The 224r peaks at 6200rpm. So if you plan on shifting at 6500rpm, the 224r is the right cam for the job. If he is willing to spin it out to 6800, the 228r would be solid.

I can't say i think much of that 224.

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Always "candy coating" your TRUE feelings.............
Lolz.......I'm not your mom. Just like your car i have no cares for your feels. Some stuff works......some stuff don't.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing to claim about it. It's not even hard to get a ls6 over 400whp. See the sig. It was easy to get over 400whp with one. And it only makes sense. A ls1 will easily make in the 350-370whp range with bolt ons. My math tells me a ls6 is rated at 50-60 hp more. That puts a ls6 in the 400-420 range. Pretty easy to figure out. I had nothing special to go over 400whp the first time my ls6 was dyno'd. And from the looks of the et/mph you can't say the dyno was happy.

Hell I'm hoping to get near 450whp after these last changes.

The guys with the 410whp h/c cars clearly fucked up somewhere these days. They don't like hearing that because erryone wants to think their combo is some magical hp bullshit. But take a look at what op wants to do......wants a cam then don't want to shift over 6500 rpm. To be blunt that's a fucked up stupid dumbass motherfucking idea right from the beginning. No offense

So would you think if I went on your same dyno, same day I could out power you by let's say 50 or so hp? Assuming my car is running right. My setup is PRC stage 2.5 243 heads, 228/232 @112 Cam and, fast 92 intake, 1 3/4 lt going through a stalled auto.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I'm going to guess likely not, but that's going to depend on your bolt ons. Way more to it than just headers and an intake
Old 12-07-2017, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Probably not. But do i think a head cam car should make more power than me?? Yup

Btw.....this bolt on ls6 is likely gonna make upwards of 450whp next time on the dyno after current changes. There is lots of power and acceleration to be had before ever getting near the cam.

Besides.....aren't we really wanting better acceleration here??...or just more power
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Besides.....aren't we really wanting better acceleration here??...or just more power
Doesn't the latter usually result in the former?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Probably not. But do i think a head cam car should make more power than me?? Yup

Btw.....this bolt on ls6 is likely gonna make upwards of 450whp next time on the dyno after current changes. There is lots of power and acceleration to be had before ever getting near the cam.

Not doubting just curious how you figure you can make 450 bolt on but doubt the same motor with way more head cam won't out power you by 50. Some people gain more than that with just a cam, Let alone heads. I guess a better way to ask this is if you put that head cam setup on your car what would you expect to gain? I cant imagine power steering delete and an electric wp is worth all that much. I know a 500whp is kind of a holy grail sounds like you'll pass that no problem.

Sorry if this post is hard to read I'm typing while playing with the kid haha
Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Let's get back to the OP's dilemma(?). He wants more power on a stock-type curve (all in before 6500) Answer? Put a blower on it! DONE!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Doesn't the latter usually result in the former?
No it doesn't. Especially in how you guys are looking at it.
Originally Posted by 98znasty
Not doubting just curious how you figure you can make 450 bolt on but doubt the same motor with way more head cam won't out power you by 50. Some people gain more than that with just a cam, Let alone heads. I guess a better way to ask this is if you put that head cam setup on your car what would you expect to gain? I cant imagine power steering delete and an electric wp is worth all that much. I know a 500whp is kind of a holy grail sounds like you'll pass that no problem.

Sorry if this post is hard to read I'm typing while playing with the kid haha
Well.....what does your car run? How much power does it make?

Wouldn't be the first h/c car not to make as much power if it don't.

Figure it this way. A bilt on ls1 is capable of 370 whp pretty easily. So now you're saying a cam only one should get to 420+whp which i totally agree with.

All my numbers have been with the power steering and on pump gas. But e85 and ps bypass will likely net 15whp....maybe more.

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Let's get back to the OP's dilemma(?). He wants more power on a stock-type curve (all in before 6500) Answer? Put a blower on it! DONE!
He wants better acceleration and is confused with that and power. All he has to do is utilize whats there.

Fact is if he don't increase tq, free up power or carry the lower gear longer then his car won't accelerate any better. So the whole notion of shoving a cam in while shifting at 6200 is not gonna work in this situation when he should already be shifting at a minimum of 6800.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 12-08-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Figure it this way. A bilt on ls1 is capable of 370 whp pretty easily. So now you're saying a cam only one should get to 420+whp which i totally agree with.

All my numbers have been with the power steering and on pump gas. But e85 and ps bypass will likely net 15whp....maybe more.

He wants better acceleration and is confused with that and power. All he has to do is utilize whats there.

Fact is if he don't increase tq, free up power or carry the lower gear longer then his car won't accelerate any better. So the whole notion of shoving a cam in while shifting at 6200 is not gonna work in this situation when he should already be shifting at a minimum of 6800.
Lots of good info in this post. Here's an odd way to twist your brain, but bear with me. If you need to get a bigger boat under a bridge, do you raise the bridge or lower the river?

If the goal is to go faster, there are various ways of getting there. Hio's car at 417 HP runs as fast or faster than mine at 519. So, he knows how to make a car run. One thing I've learned on here is that making more power does not always translate into faster acceleration. typically it results in top speed. So here's an example from my build thread. When I did the heads and cam, the car went from 395 to 470. And it was faster. But what suddenly made it "holy **** the car came alive" was the light clutch.

As to shifting, take a look at this. I used the dyno curves from earlier in this thread as an example. Shifting at 6200 vs 7000. Same engine. you tell me, which one has more power under the curve. And to be honest, I would be trying to shift at 7300 if the power didn't fall too far:

Shifting at 6200

Shifting at 7000
Old 12-08-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts

Exactly what I have been saying. Guys have been camming LS engines for years and not revving them high enough. It's all about setting up the next gear to be right in the meat of the power band.

I also want to add Hio 's car is not really a good example for most. Yes it runs good, but most are not willing to do the #racecarlife mods to extract every last drop of performance out of it. I would not faceplate a trans for a street car, I would not drill holes in my chassis/body to take weight out...etc. Not everybody wants to reduce the cars street and drive-ability to chase a number.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

I don't have any holes drilled in my main structure. And in the grand scheme of things the weight of the holes in some of the parts end up being a pretty small amount. If i were guessing less than 20lb. It just makes a talking point for guys that want to whine about them. Btw.....I've been hole reducing as of late.

But in this case his c5z is lighter than my car or maybe the same.....be very close. So a weight difference is not a factor. His c5z with normal weight loss with bolt ons, drag pak and light clutch would easily be lighter than my car.

A faceplated trans is more streetable than a big stall auto. Here's a vid. I have since put the stock shifter in it and it drives more comfortable.

You notice how it's sprinkling rain......ac is on....I'm in town.....and have shitty music goin on the stereo? So much for #racecarlife eehh.

Exactly how much does the drivabilty of the car look reduced? I'm mean it's not like it has a big cam in it hunting/surging and stalling or anything. Those damn holes.....that damn faceplated trans.......that effin light 16lb clutch...oh wait

Btw...it ran 11.5 w/o a dr on 18s. With a ls6 clutch....before much wr at all with to short of gear. I've ran the car in many various forms. To try and pin point holes as the reason behind it is ludicrous.

It went 12.1@118 on the ls1 tune. So the same basic engine with some additional bolt ons.....some changed bolt ons .....some weight reduction.....went from 12.1@118 to 10.9@129 with a best trap of 131 with no cam change.....no head change. Imagine that. But you gotta have that cam to go faster right?

Wait till it gets these final changes lined out. It won't surprise me if it don't do 133+. But i will admit this exhaust is kinda shitty for a street car. I hope to have it ran out the back soon. Btw....the 131 pass was on a y pipe with exhaust ran out the back.

That's a nice illustration Darth.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 12-08-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Exactly what I have been saying. Guys have been camming LS engines for years and not revving them high enough. It's all about setting up the next gear to be right in the meat of the power band.

I also want to add Hio 's car is not really a good example for most. Yes it runs good, but most are not willing to do the #racecarlife mods to extract every last drop of performance out of it. I would not faceplate a trans for a street car, I would not drill holes in my chassis/body to take weight out...etc. Not everybody wants to reduce the cars street and drive-ability to chase a number.
This car is road worthy of trips to Atlanta from Virginia and Ohio from Virgina as he used to drive it to the races lol The car is not a noisy piece of **** that's been butchered up and has all the creature comforts as far as heat, AC and power steering. Not sure why dougs car is always viewed as a race car. I have ridden in worse for less performance. So that being said there is still weight reduction and power sitting there waiting to be unleashed.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
Looking to get a 04 Z06 in the spring (owner put it in storage for the winter).
It has a full exhaust and cold air intake and is crying for a camshaft. Looking for something thats around 228-230 duration and no more than .600 lift. Prefer something that is easier on the valvetrain too. Have a 224r in my Z28 and its been in there for 8 years now with 918 beehives. Prefer to use beehives on new camshaft too. I will probably be putting a ported FAST 92 and LS2 throttle body on at the same time. I'm not looking to get every last horsepower out of it, won't shift it past 6200-6500 rpm.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Why is it crying for a cam? You want to hear lope? You want to make it accelerate faster? What's the purpose going to be for this Z06 as they were intended for the road circuit and do it very well. With a good set of PSI1511s, titanium retainers, lighter clutch and some gear the car would be a new animal and you can turn it 7,000 RPM and utilize the stock LS6 cam. Good luck in achieving what your after I am just not sure what it is yet.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Lol phil.....idk why the damn thing always turns into a race car for people.

The cruise is functional. ...the abs works. It andles extremely well with the 17s or 18s on it. Like i said i gotta get this exhaust tamed down a bit then it will be good again. I've been fighting the exhaust ever since i put my old exhaust on mikes car trying to finde something i like again.

To be honest one of the worst things you can do for reducing streetability is a damn drag pak imo. I know lots of people roll on them. But its the biggest reduction in overall handling performance one can do.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Not sure what it runs or makes I'm still breaking it in before the dyno tune. Just trying to figure an apples to apples comparison considering we have the same short block I just have have more h/c than you and if your shifting at 7 maybe I should too, we'll see. Once the car is ready I'll start dialing in tire, suspension and so on. I originally intended the car to be less drag race more street friendly but that is quickly changing got a tubular k, deleted the asr, heat and ac full poly mounts and once I start racing I'm sure I'll start trying to squeeze every last tenth out. long story short excluding our drivetrain differences I'm trying to figure out the formula to make what you make + h/c power. if you went same h/c as me wouldn't your setup clear 500 to the wheels quite easily?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Car will probably be an auto version of hios car in a few years with h/c who knows lol
Old 12-08-2017, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

Good poasts everyone!

Quick Reply: Cam for C5 Z06